Your opinion

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Jan 18, 2014.

1. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I like PanChango's idea. I wonder if it's possible to rough it up with some fine sandpaper... just enough to hide everything.

oscar11 likes this.
  2. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I like it as is but I think I would give a slight edge to painted. In my opinion it would give it a more finished look. Although the bristles do look nice in the nude.

oscar11 likes this.
  3. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

The translucent idea is good, but I really like jbooth's suggestion for a reverse painted image would look cool. Of course, that may not be practical to do.

oscar11 likes this.
  4. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My brush is a Black Handle. I really like the original one that I had but it could be because it belonged to my Grandfather, and when I was in the service my Grandmother gave me the mug and brush and his Straight Edge razor. I prefer not clear , but people change over time and a clear handle might be interesting to have. I just came back to shaving with a mug and brush. I also came back to using DE Safety Razor. The razor that I have been using is a Gillette DE Safety, I have had it almost forever. I found some double edge blades at a drug store in Nevada and bought all of the ones they had on the shelf. I was in the local CVS Pharmacy and found they still have DE razor blade for $2.00 a package.

Great photo, and background.
    OOH RAH

oscar11 likes this.
  5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

What size knot is that? She's a biggun'.

oscar11 likes this.
  6. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

It's a 30mm knot, gonna be short lofted though, somewhere south of 50mm. Thanks for the replies.

CyanideMetal likes this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

I really like it.

oscar11 likes this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like the idea of roughing up the top to give it sort of a frosted look. I can't help but wonder how well paint would adhere to that material, so that's why I don't recommend it.

oscar11 likes this.
  9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I like a combo of the ideas already thrown out. I dislike the plug....but reeeeally like seeing the rest of the knot. I would say either paint the plug area, use a colored epoxy, rough up just the plug area to make it translucent, or find a paint that is opaque that will match the color of the handle but obscure the plug.

Great thread and question though. In, the 4+ years I've been interested in shaving I NEVER thought of this option.issue before. Thanks!

oscar11 likes this.
  10. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

The traditionalist in me says to paint it...
    however I agree with the others that a frosted look would be interesting if done right. A while back I worked on a clear lucite handle and carefully & neatly roughened the plug up with 1500 sandpaper so that the paint would have a better mechanical adhesion - I stuck the knot in for a test fit and I thought it looked fairly cool. I was worried the coolness would vanish once I applied the yellowish colored epoxy and squished in the knot so I wimped out and painted it.

Great looking handle and good luck with what ever you choose :)

oscar11 likes this.
  11. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

for me painted also, i suppose its just what we are used to seeing, and anything different looks strange.

oscar11 likes this.
  12. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like the clear/translucent brush handles alot,but prefer the inner knot hole painted(tradition)....That said Luteplayers idea of painting the inside a complementary or contrasting color is interesting, so is M. Bastings idea of just painting the area where the brush base sits and leaving the bristles show through interesting also...:)

I really like that handle oscar11...Where did you get it?

oscar11 likes this.
  13. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

I like how the brush looks now. The fine sandpaper ideas to make the plug area translucent would be my next option.

14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Opaque, not transparent. Nice brush, BTW! Love the shape...

15. BIllyBowlegs

BIllyBowlegs Well-Known Member

I was going to say that either option would look good, but I would weigh Jbooth's observation.

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Painted.........

17. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Agree

18. Gigmaster

Gigmaster Active Member

I am more concerned with the quality of the bristles than the appearance of the handle. Give me Silver Badger, or give me death........

Semper Fi!

19. Speed

Speed Member

Painted

20. Jason1977

Jason1977 Active Member

sorry, I didn't know this was a brush thread, I was ready to high five ya on the williams, brother ;) It's a nice brush too, lol~ I got my dad who's 67 now away from the barbasol can and into using a mug & brush & he loves williams just as much as I do~ No song & dance, just a shave soap that gets the job done~