Your opinions on Schick Hydro 5 vs. Gillette Fusion Proglide

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Sep 17, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

The reservoir has completely dried off. But, I can still smell that gummy scent. Though, it is very mild. By the bye, has anyone noticed that on Wilkinson sword products, there is no mention of energizer or edgewell personal care. But on schick, it says "Blade made in Germany by Wilkinson sword GmbH for Energizer personal care". Isn't Wilkinson sword owned by Edgewell? If yes, why does it seem like as if it is a third party, manufacturing blades for Energizer/Edgewell?

2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

It could be local laws on country of manufacture disclosure?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...origin-marking-on-goods-imported-into-the-u.s.

With Wilkinson Sword or Gillette products in Europe I couldn't tell you where they are made, but if I search on Walmart in the USA they usually list the country of origin...

EU law:
    Non-food products imported into the EU currently require no labelling or marking of the country from which they originate.

engrsaks likes this.
  3. Jerry-built Hustler

Jerry-built Hustler Well-Known Member

It seem ridiculous for a razor manufacturer to make their razors scented, unless they also market an unscented version. They will automatically alienate the entire market segment that either cannot, or does not want to, use scented products.

engrsaks likes this.
  4. engrsaks

Had my third shave with the Hydro-5. There is another point to be noted, the vibrations (3rd setting) of power select handle are stronger than Flexball power handle. It doesn't make any difference but it is still something worth a mention.
    Compared to proglide, the hydro-5 blades have a shallower cutting angle. Which is why my regrown beard feels surprisingly "fluffy".

Leo K. likes this.
  5. engrsaks

Sixth shave, everything is still going all fine. :)

Leo K. likes this.
  6. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I used the ProGlide Flexball this morning and got a real close shave using the Gillette Proglide Clear Gel. I got a teeny weeper on my chin, and figure it's because I just shaved my circle beard a couple days ago and have to get used to shaving my chin again!

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    engrsaks likes this.
  7. engrsaks

There is also a Personna GT6 (six bladed quattro). Does that mean we will also see a quattro 6 razor?

8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

No, the GT6 and GT5 were released at the same time. They had the initial decision, and/or they would have done it by now ;) ...

engrsaks likes this.
  9. Jerry-built Hustler

Quattro is Italian for "four," so while we might see the same design with other numbers of blades, it won't be called a Quattro.

engrsaks likes this.
  10. engrsaks

Quite true. I was amazed to see when Schick introduced their 5 bladed razor as Quattro 5. If they can create such a puzzling title for a 5 bladed razor, it is possible that they can do the same with the six bladed razor too.

11. Jerry-built Hustler

Shows you how much I pay attention to Schick. I didn't know they'd done that. How silly of them. Disregard my prior comment.

engrsaks likes this.
  12. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Who was this then? ;)

engrsaks likes this.
  13. Jerry-built Hustler

Shows you how much attention I pay to myself.

engrsaks likes this.
  14. engrsaks

:rofl::happy097:.

15. engrsaks

Ok, the mileage determination process comes to an end. The hydro 5 can also deliver 13-15 shaves like the Proglide. The cost per shave for hydro 5 is $0.21. On the other hand, cost per shave for proglide is $0.22- $0.25. In the end, it all comes down to a man's personal preference. Following are the reasons why Proglide happens to be my personal favorite.

• It has precision trimmer at the back for shaving in tricky areas and quick touchups.
    • When compared against proglide, Hydro 5 accumulates a lot of residual gunk above the skin guards (biggest disadvantage) and it requires quite more effort to maintain the blades in perfect shape
    • You can get the job done with Proglide in a single pass. Same is not true for Hydro 5 (two passes are necessary).

Leo K. likes this.
  16. engrsaks

Has anyone seen this deal on walmart? Looks pretty reasonable and comparable to Dollar shave club.

17. engrsaks

It seems that WS supports the idea of brush lathering with their Hydro 5 razor.

513-0Ea-RsL._SY355_.jpg

18. Bertotrumpet

Bertotrumpet New Member

19. Bertotrumpet

Bertotrumpet New Member

I'm a DE wet shaver mostly
    But I use carts to shave my head, and to take a break from DE shaving or whem I'm in a hurry. The four carts I've used were Proglide, hydro 5, Dorco Pace 6 plus, and the single edge Gillette Guard.

The Proglide was slightly better than the hydro 5. The hydro 5 only slightly better than the Dorco Pace. Seeing as that the Proglide's blades are twice as much or more than the hydro 5, but the shave is only slightly better, so the price of the blades dont warrant the slightly better shave.

The Hydro 5 is slightly better than the Dorco Pace6 plus, which is a fantastic shaver, the blades are about a third more than the Dorco.

So either the Dorco, or the Hydro are the only top carts I use.
    But, If you really want a great head shaver, get the Gillette Guard! One blade, it pivots great, open comb wide gap design and dirt cheap.

Sabre likes this.