Your pick of adjustables

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by thomthom49, Feb 14, 2011.

1. thomthom49

thomthom49 New Member

:cool:What would be your top five choices for an adjustable in the order of your preference please.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Why not start a poll of "What's your favorite adjustable?" Then you could get a tally.

3. Infotech

Infotech Active Member

Out of the three I've tried:

1st Merkur Futur
    2nd Gillette Slim Adjustable
    3rd Gillette Fatboy

1st is in a class of it's own. 2nd and 3rd are pretty far down the list. However, as a beginner the Futur would have shredded me. Some people seem to be able to use it fine as a first razor. I started out with the Gillette Slim.

4. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

Not a fan of adjustables myself. I have a slim but have never found it comfortable to use regardless of the setting. But in the interest of this thread from what I've read from other people that like adjustables the progress seems to be the favorite, the futur is real aggressive but lots of love exists for that one. I very seldom hear of anyone using a vision and the fatboy seems to be liked more than the slim.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've only used the Gillette versions and find them all to be good. Though as I don't like keeping more than I use I've only kept my favorite, hence this ranking:
    1) Fatboy
    2) tie: Slim and Super

6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Slim
    Slim and Fatboy I'd have to rank the same, but the Slim is easier to find and usually less costly and the longer handle is easier for most people coming from a cartridge. I also like it being more top-heavy than the Fatboy, therefore making it easier to let the razor do the work instead of using pressure...All that being said, I've always gotten exactly comparable shaves from the Fatboy...:)

I'd also have to say that the Schick Type M Adjustable would be a winner except the regular injector has such a perfect razor angle, that I continually adjust it looking for a setting that feels and shaves similar to their regular injector...:D

7. YankeeBoy

YankeeBoy Member

Out of all the adjustables currently available I own the Fatboy and the Futur. I find myself using the Fatboy over the Futur because its easier to maneuver. It's also a more forgiving razor than the Futur. Put a Feather in a Futur and dial it up and I think sometimes you would give a straight razor a run for its money. :D

8. geogaga

geogaga Member

Merkur Futur
    Merkur Progress
    Gillette Slim Super Adjustable
    Gillette FatBoy
    Gillette Slim Adjustable

9. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Gillette Fatboy
    Schick Adjustable Injector
    Gillette Super Adjustable
    Gillette Slim

10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I tried a few, but just couldn't warm up to adjustable razors.

Not my thing.

11. Hank

Hank Active Member

Fatboy
    Fatboy
    and then I'd have to go Fatboy

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

1) Merkur Futur
    2) Gillette super adjustable (long handle)
    3) Gillette super adjustable (short handle)
    4) Gillette slim adjustable
    5) Gillette Fat boy

The Futur is by far my favorite. But the super adjustable long handle is a very close second. My least favorite is the fat boy. I had big expectations for it but it just never delivered. To me the fat boy is overrated and can't deliver the quality of shave the super adjustable can. Of coarse YMMV I do want to try a Merkur Vision, but it's too pricey, Anyone got a vision they want to trade?

Man, I love favorite's threads. There haven't been many lately.:signs136

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Of the razors I have tried:

Progress
    Slim
    Fat Boy

I did not care for the PAL Adjustable Injector.

Some day I will get around to trying the Futur and Vision but the way things are looking now, I am sitting on thousands of DE blades that I may never use because I am giving much love to the straights.

14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Don't forget about the injector blades...

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Progress
    Slim adj
    Fatboy
    Futur

16. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Top five? I've only tried five, and I'd guess that the question was really supposed to apply to DE only, while two of mine are injectors. Still, for what it's worth.
    1. Schick adjustable injector
    2. Gillette Super Adjustable
    3. Gillette Fatboy
    4. Gillette Slim
    5. Pal adjustable injector

17. Magic Learner

Magic Learner New Member

Merkur Futur
    Gillette Super Adjustable Long Handle
    Gillette Slim Adjustable
    Gillette FatBoy

18. Nick Freeh

Nick Freeh Well-Known Member

1. Futur
    2. Progress (XL)
    3. Gillette Slim Adjustable

19. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

Don't care much for adjustables even though I learned to wet shave with one. But since I have discovered the vintage two and 3 piece DE razors I find I get better shaves with those than with an adjustable. In fact I find I don't really like the TTO DEs much either. I have 9 TTOs including my adjustables and they rarely are used. Just my preference.

20. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

1. Gillette Slim
    2. Gillette Fatboy