Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I'd be staying away from the flavored and aromatics. I'm mostly interested in VaPers and Virginias. Probably try a bunch of different stuff though.

Erik Redd and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The good news there is that you could get away with just one pipe to start as ghosting wouldn't be a problem. As long as you're not over a bowl every 24h, the pipe would have time to dry, if left unassembled.

Erik Redd and trey06dmd like this.
  3. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

Hadn't really thought of that.

4. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

So what are the must-tries? If I'm looking to try a bit of everything, except the flavored stuff?

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  5. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

^This right here! lol

Erik Redd, BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Escudo
    Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake *
    Drew Estate Gatsby Luxury Flake
    Orlik Golden Mixture
    Orlik Golden Sliced
    H&H Anniversary Kake *
    H&H Louisiana Red *
    H&H AJs VaPer *

*available by the ounce

Erik Redd, BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  7. trey06dmd

trey06dmd Arko eater

I was already considering several of those, based on this thread. I hear good things about Frog Morton also. If and when I do pull the trigger on it I should probably give a few different styles a try.

Bama Samurai and Lo'Gosh like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good thought, to declare it as collectible tins because I collect the first tin of each bkend I try. They are indeed collectible tins!

9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful stem by the way!

ChiefShaver and Bama Samurai like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I agree with Chris, I think putting just a little more money into some nice briar pipes is preferable to cobs, generally speaking. And you don't have to spend a lot of money to do so. Having said that, I probably have 10 cobs! Most of them, however seldom get smoked. The freehand with vulcanite stem is quite nice, but is a very large bowl.

Tony

11. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Frog Morton is good stuff. If you're looking at Latakia blends, I'd reccomend:

Comoys Cask #1
    John Bull
    Mac Baren Vintage Syrian (this is Syrian Latakia which is rarer and less used than Cyprian Latakia. Has a lighter, mellower smokeiness to it)
    Balkan Sasieni
    Villiger 1888 Early Day
    Spectre
    Lane Crown Achievement
    Lane Medal of Valor

I'm a bit of a Latakia nut, lol. I'd also recommend H&H Old Companion. It's a really good Burley Blend.

12. Bama Samurai

One pipe for Latakia like Frog Morton, one pipe for VA.

BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Frog Morton blends are great Latakia blends for the Latakia beginner. I especially like Frog Morton On the Town, with a little less Latakia and orientals added in.

Other good Latakia blends to start with:
    Sam Gawith Squadron Leader
    Dunhill 965, a Scottish blend that has a smaller amount of Latakia.

Other non-flavored blends I would add to the list are:
    McClellan 5100 Red Cake, a straight Virginia, available by the ounce
    Astley's 109 Medium Virginia Flake
    Former Private Flake (some list this as an aromatic, but there is very little casing, and not a typical aromatic
    Esoterica Peacehaven - a mild straight Virginia that is perhaps my favorite of all. Downside - it is hard to find, and only comes in 8oz.

14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Great advice. I don't dedicate a pipe to a specific bkend, but I do dedicate a pipe or two to Latakia blends, others for Virginia.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    trey06dmd likes this.
  15. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Sad News, that i can´t import Tabac from the US. There is so many great Tabac that i would like to try...:angry017: But hey...i was so frustrated that i bought new Tabac moments ago:

[​IMG]

Very curious on that one...i think i will try it in my evening pipe today. If not today then tomorrow or Sunday evening.

Greetings
    Thorsten

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    BamaT, Erik Redd and trey06dmd like this.
  16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

upload_2016-2-19_11-48-3.png

Any idea what is typically in the goodie box?

Bama Samurai, BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  17. Erik Redd

Well, I guess I'll find out. Stocking up on pipe cleaners, a few pipe tobaccos and some cigars to add to the humidor.

BamaT and trey06dmd like this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have purchased pipe tobacco from both the US and UK with no issue. Cigarettes are a no-no.

BamaT and Bama Samurai like this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Sorry for the terrible picture. This week I received a new (used) pipe, I a Dunhill. I was on the fence about this pipe but intrigued if the name lived up to it's prices. So naturally I asked my pipe Sensei and he said any serious hedonist so experience a Dunhill pipe. So I bought it. I have to say Chris is an enabler extraordinaire. Next smoke I will take better pics. It was late and wanted to get my first smoke in.

Dunhill Bruyere
    IMG_2299.jpg

In short I am thrilled I bought this pipe.

20. Erik Redd

You should at east try the Lane 1-Q, an axcellent vanilla aromatic before you rule out aromatics altogether.

trey06dmd likes this.