Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I've got a tin of Best Brown #2 which is described as having a very mild Lakeland essence, I'll have to give it a try.

Lo'Gosh likes this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Put me in the latter category, LOL. Actually FVF and SG Chocalate Flake are quite good, but require signicant drying time and prep. Also, Esoterica Peacehaven is actually an SG product, and requires significant drying. The eventual end product, though, is quite good. Now Grousemoor is a different story....I don't think there is enough prep you can possibly do to make that tolerable! Of course, that is my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Lo'Gosh and Erik Redd like this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Beautiful pipe, that black stem and silver band with the white pipe really look nice.

Erik Redd likes this.
  4. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Thanks, and it is a great smoker and in one of my favorite ahapes. Baki doesn't make many of this style. Now watching for a prince and saving for a real gord calabash Baki and my Meer collection will be complete.

trey06dmd, BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  5. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Very nice. And
    Is that because of the "flavor" of Grousemoor? I know it has the signature Lakeland essence; which is that flowery, perfumy essence. Which is the one I've been told you either love, or despise. lol

BamaT and Erik Redd like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Yep, I really wanted to like it, but in spite of several attempts I just never warmed up to it. Apparently some folks like it, or they wouldn't keep producing it.

Erik Redd, Lo'Gosh and trey06dmd like this.
  7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That and Three Friars are on my list for next order. But at the rate I've been pipe smoking lately (or the lack thereof), I've got enough on hand now to last me another 10 years. I've either been too busy to sit down for a long smoke, or just haven't felt like it. One of these days the pace will pick back up.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  8. Lo'Gosh

Yeah. Lol, like I said, perfect analogy for this forum is that it's like Arko. Some love it and find it to be utter blessed perfection. While others find to be an abomination of the darkest most foul sort. lol

My hope is that I shall like it when I get to try it. <fingers crossed>

BamaT, trey06dmd, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lo'Gosh

So I'm a little late in posting; but last night I had a bowl of John Bull in a Dr. Grabow Royal Duke while playing poker with my little brother and our friends. This has become one of my favorite blends. It has enough Latakia to give that smokiness; but it's light and sweet from the black cavendish. I know I've said it before; but I get a note from it of fresh baking chocolate chip cookies. My buddy Niko even said the same thing. I may have converted him into a pipe smoker. lol

AGHisBBS, BamaT, trey06dmd and 2 others like this.
  10. Erik Redd

Have you tried the Hearth & Home Chestnut? If so, how do you think it compares to John Bull? When I first tried JB it reminded me of Chestnut, although John Bull has more black cavendish.

Lo'Gosh likes this.
  11. Lo'Gosh

I have not yet tried the H&H Chestnut. I have been looking at it considering it though. It's a good bulk deal. But no idea how it compares to John Bull as of yet.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1366.JPG
    McClelland 5100 Red Cake in a Neerup Poker. The garage project continues, along with a little brake work on my son's car, and slow charging his battery. It sat up for 8 months while he was in Florida. I asked him if he wanted me to drive it a little so it didn't just sit there, he said nah. A 2 to 4 month assignment turned into 6 months, that then turned into 8 months.

Bama Samurai, Lo'Gosh, RyX and 4 others like this.
  13. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I know J.F Germain produces Esoterica Tobaccos, but I never heard of an affiliation with Gawith...

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Well I finally bought a pipe. I was at a vintage store to today and this pipe caught my eye. The problem is I can't find anything on it. It's stamped Stanford on the left side and Made in London England on the right. I liked the looks of it and there weren't any cracks so I bought it. Any help in identifying it is appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dbersh, AGHisBBS, RyX and 3 others like this.
  15. Erik Redd

IMG_1056.JPG

I've got the Pebblecut figured out near the end of the tin. Sprinkling in the rubbed out flakes and tapping the pipe to get it settled, then topping off with a little and gently packing results in a good burn with few relights.

dbersh, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I don't recall seeing the Stanford line; I suspect that is a line of seconds. I've got several seconds; as long as you're careful with your selection, they can be a real bargain. I was lucky back in the late 70's/early 80's. I really didn't know exactly what to look for, but got several really nice pipes with maybe a small putty fill, but with good overall engineering. My first good pipe was a Charatan second, only I didn't know that at the time!

dbersh, AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and 3 others like this.
  17. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Thanks for the info, once I get over this cold I'll give it a try

Bama Samurai, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  18. Erik Redd

IMG_1057.JPG

The Reiner Blend 71 long golden flake is an excellent vaper. I opened a fresh tin and folded and stuffed a little in the pipe. It would have benefited from a little drying, but it still burned pretty well.

dbersh, trey06dmd, RyX and 4 others like this.
  19. Erik Redd

IMG_1058.JPG

I took a gamble on what was listed as an unmarked pipe with bad pics on eBay, but like the shape so put in the low opening bid and got it for a little over $11 with shipping. I can see some faint printing on the bottom and can make out ....ox with ... in Italy underneath, so I assume this is a Tinder Box pipe. It seems pretty well made and was pretty clean when I got it, so after cleaning out the airway with alcohol and pipe cleaners I fired it up. It smokes very well, although has a ghost that I swear is Erinmore. I'll give it a salt treatment and need to de-ox and polish the vulcanite stem, but it's a keeper. I may even dedicate it to Erinmore, since I like Erinmore.

20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

#0000 steel wool with clean up the rim, gently. Nice find.

dbersh, trey06dmd, RyX and 2 others like this.