Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Today's bag

[​IMG]

After the work was done...

[​IMG]

BamaT, ob1page, Lo'Gosh and 5 others like this.
  2. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

A bit too dark for a good pic
    IMG_1059.JPG

I'm going to try to concentrate on my Falcons for the month of February. They really are excellent smoking pipes, and it's time I really give them a chance.

AGHisBBS, dbersh, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  3. Erik Redd

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 02022017.gif
    Been an odd last couple weeks so I don't post often, but I haven't laid my pipes aside. Most mornings I enjoy Viprati in the Stanwell 139.

5. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Nice bowl of Mac Baren Vanilla Creme in a MM Maple Ozark with a hot cup of hazelnut cappuccino. Perfect after a long irritating day!

6. Erik Redd

7. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

OJK in the bowl
    [​IMG]

trey06dmd, BamaT, Erik Redd and 4 others like this.
  8. Erik Redd

Went out to antique shops today. I found a pipe stand for $45 and a dirty Kirsten for $10. The bowl of the Kirsten looks in very good shape though, now I have to find out more about them.
    IMG_1062.JPG IMG_1063.JPG

Lo'Gosh, ob1page, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. Erik Redd

The Kirsten was pretty dirty, and difficult to get apart. The previous owner must have never cleaned it. the mouthpiece section is soaking in Everclear now.

A bowl of Reiner Gold in another Falcon, I'll have to include another tin of this in my next order.
    IMG_1064.JPG

Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS, ob1page and 4 others like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Nice score on the pipe stand and Kirsten! I don't know much about the Kirsten's, except that they sell for around $130 or so new. Not really sure about this, but I have thought they may be similar to the Falcons in concept.

11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I've always been partial to briar over cobs, meerschaum, or anything else. But I have also always been intrigued by the Falcons, and will get one at some point. I really like the one in this pic.

ob1page, RyX, trey06dmd and 1 other person like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

IMG_1370.JPG
    McClelland Blackwoods Forest in a Nording rusticated on a crisp, cool but comfortable Alabama afternoon.

Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS, ob1page and 5 others like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

If any of you are in the Birmingham area on February 18, that is the date of their 2017 Annual Pipe Event. It's always great fun, with at least one major pipe maker, tobacco reps, cigar reps, and of course the slow smoking competition!

Edit: I meant to say the date of the Briary's annual pipe event, no idea what happened!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    ob1page, RyX, trey06dmd and 1 other person like this.
  14. Erik Redd

The new Kirsten's appear to be much better than the first generation ones, like the one I picked up. They've got o-ring seals which keeps them from binding up. The pipe I got is marked PATS APPL FOR - S, which appears to date it 1938 - 1958. The S appears to indicate a small pipe. It will be interesting to try once I get it cleaned up.

upload_2017-2-4_14-25-52.png

ob1page, RyX, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  15. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Before you buy make sure to check UK suppliers many sell on the bay MUCH cheaper even when you add shipping than US distributors. I picked mine up during Paul's big December sale. Just an FYI.

16. Erik Redd

Yeah, you can get much better prices from UK online stores. You don't have to pay the VAT and the dollars pretty strong against the pound. They also tend to have much better selection.

IMG_1065.JPG

Lo'Gosh, ob1page, dbersh and 3 others like this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

@dustmite, you are correct! It is Germain, not SG.

Erik Redd and dustmite like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

They are good looking pipes.
    I've been watching one in an auction. A Viking, too.
    auction.gif

19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Back in December of '16 I traded several SE's for some baccy with Louis @dustmite. Today I popped the top on a tin of G.L.Pease.
    POTD 02052017.gif
    This one's going to be interesting! First I had to navigate the puzzle trap of the paper wrapper. A couple of fold over flaps that create handles to lift the plug out of the tin. The primary tin note was smokey like a Slim Jim beef stick. Not unpleasant, but I haven't found a Latakia I desired yet. Definite ketchup under that. The biscuit was split like an Oreo to lick the center. Taking sharp Barlow in hand I made my cut. Tough stuff compressed as it is. No drying time - straight to the Schowa. Torch, tamp, light. The initial liquid smoke tang didn't follow through. The mixture of "dark-fired Kentucky Leaf and ripe red Virginia tobaccos, with their deep, earthy flavors, are layered on a central core of golden flue-cured for a hint of bright sweetness" took a relight, but satisfied. This is not one I'd puff away while working. More of a sit on the porch with a glass of something cool, listen to the sounds of the neighborhood. I think next bowl I'll lift a few flakes out to see what each layer is about.

trey06dmd, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

[​IMG]

Peterson
    OGS

trey06dmd, Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.