Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

I'm almost out of the 965. Just have a bowl or 2 left is all.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that Black Mallory. Sounds like something I'd like.

My biggest problem here is that I live in Washington State. Can't seem to find any on line vendors that ship here do to the state tax issues.

There is a Tinderbox and a Tribal tobacco shop that carry some tins. But you pay for it. I think the 965 was something like $20.

I have a few tins aging of stuff that interested me to try that I got from the tribal shop.

Still enjoying the Prince Albert and Carter Hall for everyday smokes.

Paul Turner and BamaT like this.
  2. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

I am sitting outside while having fun watching in the Forum. The pipe is a Savinelli 673 KS Roma Lucite. Tobacco is „Jock“ from South Africa. Nice caramel mixed with burley. 0C74940A-2A95-4868-9AFC-0A481973C38F.jpeg

3. Ksblazer

4. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Having some Orlik Golden Sliced and a fat tire.[​IMG]

BamaT, ChiefShaver and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Beautiful Rhodesian pipe.

6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Never been much of a beer guy, but I do like Orlik Golden Sliced, and I like any pipe shape in the Canadian family. That looks like an oval shank with a saddle bit, making it a Lumberman. Nice!

CrustyCat likes this.
  7. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it is. It's a big Rossi.

BamaT likes this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Just warm enough to enjoy a pipe on the deck today. Rattray’s Black Mallory in a 43 year old Stratford’s Copper Grain bent, accompanied by some ginger black tea, with our yellow lab Gunner napping beside me.

79ED3837-9E6C-4DA1-8583-8B94A26945C1.jpeg

9. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

Okay. I've been lurking for awhile now.
    I have several pipes I've gotten from my distant cousin in law.

I've had a pouch of Cherrry borkum riff for a long time that is almost gone.
    Need some advice.
    WOuld like to get a variety of to try.
    Would I be better off at the local shop or going to a website where I can get an ounce for 3$ and change and get about 3 or four ounces.
    What would you guys advise.

Also, I read on here, I think, that dunhill is gone, but cupojoe.com is showing dunhill.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Tad

BamaT likes this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

If you have a good local shop, I’d recommend talking to them about your current preferences, and they can recommend blends to try. Have you smoked primarily aromatics? Whatever type you like, tinned tobaccos will be superior to bulk, generally speaking. There are some bulk blends that are good, with Peterson’s Bullseye flake being highly rated. One blend I’d suggest to anyone is Orlic Golden Sliced. Both Golden Sliced and Peterson’s Bullseye are flake tobaccos, and neither one is aromatic. Orlik Golden Sliced is particularly good, and a good blend to try outside of aromatics; it’s mild, and allows you to enjoy the flavor of the tobacco vs a flavored topping.

11. FatherofSquirrel

Thanks
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

12. FatherofSquirrel

I got some of the Orlick before labor day. I'm realizing I need to get my pipes cleaned as they were all heirlooms.
    Is this something I can do myself?

I need to learn more about it.
    I probably need to replace some stems as well.
    I'll try and get pics of my pipes up here soon.

I just received a tin of the 965 and a Christmas blend called Corn Cob Pipe that looked interesting. Got them from smokingpipes.com

13. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

My first suggestion here is to find a good pipe retort kit. I got mine from a guy that I just cannot remember now. I know that he advertised as a US Veteran that was selling the kits.

Anyway, I went hardcore crazy into pipe collecting like I did razors (among many other things) and bought up dozens of estate pipes and the pipes seemed to me they needed cleaning before smoking.

I bought two pipe reaming kits, the retort kit, and a whole bunch of estate sale pipes and went to town, filling the bowls with salt and alcohol, reaming them, and then putting them through the retort process.

After all of that, I set about buying all the pipe tobacco I could get my hands on, via internet or printed catalog.

I finally settled on Ten Russians as my go-to, but I did like several of the sliced coin offerings

After my pipe collecting phase died off (as did my shaving related stuff) I found out that many serious pipe smokers that buy estate pipes prefer pipes that have been heavily smoked, and seek out pipes that are heavily caked bowls. Although those same seekers may go ahead and replace stems where possible, possibly because the previous smoker bit through the stems, or other such wear.

Anyway, long post here, I have a large pipe collection that many people will not consider buying, since I have reamed, pickled, and retorted them.

So, what am I trying to impart here? I suppose it is just to say, if you are wanting to dip your toe into pipe smoking; the pool is just as deep, if not deeper than a shave obsession.

If you want to smoke the pipes and get your money back out of them, don't get too crazy with cleaning them.

FatherofSquirrel and BamaT like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

For basic cleaning, just some pipe cleaners, high proof spirits of some kind, and cotton swabs are all you really need. Everclear would be preferred, but really any bourbon, vodka, etc would work. You can buy purpose made pipe cleaning solvent, but Everclear, vodka, gin, etc., all work just as well. First, after the pipe is cool, remove the stem from the shank, and clean each separately. Wet only about a half inch or so of the cleaner, and push the wet end in first through the stem, then into the shank all the way into the bowl. It may take a couple of wet cleaners, followed by a dry one. You may also want to clean the mortise area by using a cotton swab dipped in spirits. Finally, wet a clean cotton swab with saliva, and run over the top of the chimney to remove tar. Do NOT use spirits or any commercial pipe cleaner on any area of external wood finish, as the finish can be damaged.

For estate pipes that have a lot of ghosting from prior tobacco blends, a salt treatment may be required. I’ve only done that a couple of times. But once a pipe is sanitized, if you smoke enough of a straight Virginia blend like Orlik Golden Sliced, the flavor ghosting will eventually go away. There are plenty of instructions on the internet on salt treatment for tobacco pipes; read up on that, and be careful with it.

If the cake is too thick, some very judicious reaming may be required. If you have a local pipe shop, they may do that for you. Be very careful with reaming; the carbon cake should remain as uniform as possible.

If the pipes have a vulcanite stem and are substantially oxidized, you can clean that with something like Semichrome polish, toothpaste, or a baking soda paste. Then wash and dry well, and wipe down the exterior with any vegetable oil, and wipe that down until dry. It should have a slight sheen, and that will help protect it for a while.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  15. FatherofSquirrel

Thanks guys.
    I have some rye whiskey that will do the job.

BamaT likes this.
  16. i thought they stopped making albert in the metal foil pouch in a card board box. i have one from 2008 that i need to smoke. it IS opened, but honest to god,, it hasnt dried out yet and still smells the same. The opened tin of macbaren club is officially unsmokable. horrid tongue bite.

havent smoked in so long im happy. but the thing is, how can anyone afford to smoke pipes now.macbaren seems to have a limited selection, the english stuff is so hard to get in the states now..

17. Ksblazer

They may have. I stocked up on all the PA I could find a few years back.

Prince Albert and Carter Hall are 2 of my favorites. I smoke them daily.

I like some good English pipe tobacco. But it’s too expensive and difficult to acquire in WA state.

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. the last time i saw PA was maybe 3 years ago, and it was in a borkum riff style plastic pouch thing... made me sad.

Some days i miss sitting outside with a pipe, but so many more i never understand why i started smoking in the first place. Sure it was enjoyable, but i could have spent pipe money on razors

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

It’s still available in a large plastic tub, I believe.

20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Started up again a few weeks ago, just because I missed the scent.

PLANofMAN, BamaT and Paul Turner like this.