Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

No, not familiar with it. What type blend is it?

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

To me, semi-aromatic (barely aro) even though the label calls it an aro.

BamaT likes this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’ve had a few of those, and they can be pretty good. What I don’t like are the highly flavored, cotton candy sweet type blends, usually with significant amounts of PG.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

So no Captain Black for you, eh?

PLANofMAN and BamaT like this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Finally got Prince Albert. Opened can reminds me of a lightly sweetened fruitcake made with fresh warm whole grain bread, or of a warm bowl of Raisin Bran...both evocations are pleasant to me if not to others. Taste is a rather subtle, straightforward burley that lit easy and burned right to the bottom with one relight. Doesn't produce the heaviest smoke, actually a bit thin. Good smell and a toasty bready aftertaste that could be (and at one time was, I've read) a bit sweeter. Still PA is a basic, no-nonsense, but enjoyable smoke. Next is to compare it against the Match that's around here somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2024
    BamaT likes this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

No, that wouldn’t be one of my favorites. In my early days of pipe smoking, I did smoke that, as well as Amphora. That was many years ago.

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Smoking Ephemeris, a blend developed by Skip Elliot at The Briary, and sold exclusively by The Briary. It’s a straight Virginia, using 3 different varieties - bright, red, and stoved, with no flavoring added. Skip blends it, packs it in large jars for aging, then loads 2 oz into a small mason jar, which saves you from having to jar a tin after opening. It’s my first bowl, so I’m reserving judgement until I’ve smoked several bowls, as initial reactions sometimes varies from extended experience. I can say it lights readily (with a false light and one light afterwards) and I have had no relights since,, so moisture level is spot on.

Smoking the Ephemeris in my Charatan second, shown along with a Corona lighter and my Peder Jeppenson tamp. You can see the putty fill toward the bottom and back of the bowl, where the shank begins. Great pipe, and my first really good pipe, although when I bought it in 1978 I had no idea, and being a second, I purchased it for $17. I knew immediately after smoking it, that it was far superior to the less expensive pipes I had. It had a natural finish, and has darkened over the years from smoking and oils in my hand from handling it. It is clearly from the Lane era of Charatan, which ended around 1979 to early 80’s, when Dunhill bought the brand.. Later, Dunhill sold the brand and then re-purchased it later. Any Charatan would be desirable, especially the originals, then those made during the Lane era, and then the Dunhill era. Charatan pipes are well engineered, and will easily be able to pass a cleaner from the stem all the way into the bottom of the bowl. The shank is stamped “Made in London England.”

D406CEA6-4D0C-49F3-8813-2A1FEC6F2667.jpeg

gorgo2, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Oval. It's a Canadian. The bigger one has a flaw in the briar down by the heel, the smaller has a single large fill on the side of the bowl. Both have 'stepped' stem tenons, which is why I think they are Charaton seconds.

Aside from that, both have stunning grain. These were the seller's pictures:
    Screenshot_2024-05-01-12-57-19-34_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg Screenshot_2024-05-01-12-57-35-40_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg Screenshot_2024-05-01-12-57-49-29_260528048de7f2f358f0056f785be619.jpg
    I've cleaned them up since these were taken. One of the better $11.50 + shipping I've spent, though my wife remains unconvinced of that.

brit and BamaT like this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’ve got 3 Canadians and one Lumberman. I’d like to get a Liverpool, which has a round shank. I really don’t need it, I just want it. :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Took Ryan's advice, tried Ennerdale this afternoon. Different? Oh yeah. I like it.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I wasn’t familiar with Ennerdale, so looked it up. Actually sounds like it might be good, although I’m not usually an aro guy. Is it really heavily flavored, or is it subtle? I know Gawith’s Chocolate Flake is definitely more of a semi-aro, with hints of cocoa vs heavy chocolate flavoring, and the Latakia is barely discernible but contributes positively overall to the total profile, even if you’re not into Latakia. The Chocolate Flake is very moist, and benefits from the tin being left cracked open for several days, or drying enough for one bowl at a time. Is Ennerdale moist like that, or is it smokable immediately without having to really work at keeping it lit?

edit: Chocolate Flake is really wet, I have had to take out the entire contents, spread the flakes out, and let them dry for a day or so.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Distinct fragrance reminiscent of florals, which could be interpreted as perfumey but it didn't strike me that way. Taste is similar, unusual but pleasant. Sour taste towards the end but that could be because the pipe wasn't the cleanest that point. Nothing really sweet re: usual aros, but not dark or smoky either...is really is it's own thing.

I tote off strips, folded, and stuffed, that took several lights to get going but once it did it went all the way to the bottom. Next time I'll shred it up.

PLANofMAN and BamaT like this.
  13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Yeah, I’ve never had a lot of success with Gawith or other Lakeland brands with fold and stuff. With Chocolate Flake, after an appropriate drying, I lightly rubbed it out, so there were some bigger pieces vs ribbon cut. As a matter of fact, after talking about it, I think I have a little bit of chocolate flake jarred somewhere, and maybe a new tin.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I just left work so I'm enjoying Sutliff Apple in a cob. Decent stuff, nice subtle flavor, but I had to set it out on a plate to dry overnight first.

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it has bergamot and rose in it. Like smoking Earl Grey tea with tobacco added.

Edit: the way I understand it, English Aros are (were) allowed to use perfume ingredients and alcohol ingredients, but not 'flavorings.' This makes some interesting cocktails, with floral notes and flavored liqueurs being the only flavor/scent source.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    BamaT likes this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

But better.

BamaT likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    From what I gather, Ennerdsle is considered a good introduction to Lakeland style blends. There's more potent varieties out there.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think I'll be working my way up to them eventually.

Maybe it's just me but, so far, my first smoke or two have been more definitive than not. If I like it at first, I'll tend to keep on liking it but if I don't (EGR), I'll probably have trouble developing a taste for it even after repeated fair tries. I've got four tiers,

ENJOYABLE (would smoke often)
    INTERESTING (occasionally, depending on mood)
    MEH (not terrible but...probably not)
    NO

PLANofMAN likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Amphora Original leaves a wonderful, lingering hot chocolate aroma in the room. The taste, not so much. Need to mix with PA.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  20. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Scored an interesting pipe today for $50 shipped. More than I typically spend on a pipe, but Giants are rather rare...
    Screenshot_2024-05-03-14-45-53-72_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg Screenshot_2024-05-03-14-46-36-82_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg Screenshot_2024-05-03-14-47-01-83_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg Screenshot_2024-05-03-17-45-20-57_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg Screenshot_2024-05-03-17-45-39-63_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg Screenshot_2024-05-03-17-44-54-92_0311c9f6806a66343c45622522faa000.jpg
    As best I can tell, this is a Charaton era Ben Wade pipe (at that time, Ben Wade was used as a 'second tier' line of pipes). No idea how big it is, though 'GIANT' indicates a substantial pipe, and 'made by hand' indicates a better level of workmanship than the typical factory made pipe. From other listings, I can assume the bowl will be roughly 2 1/2 inches tall, and the chamber will be almost an inch across, and about 2 inches deep.

I thought it was a Danish made Preben Holm pipe at first. There's enough lava and scorching on the top I can't even tell if it's a plateaux top or not. Should be a fun restore project.

Edit: Seller's photos. And yes, another pipe in the 'type' I prefer, which is apparently bent dublins.

The best info I've been able to find indicates that Charaton stopped using the square 'MADE BY HAND' stamp in late 1965, and switched to a script font stamp. Also, Ben Wade was acquired by Charaton in 1965. That would make this pipe a very early production Charaton made Ben Wade pipe. It's a little frustrating that there is very little information on English Ben Wade production during the Lane Limited years.

Because of both the size and 'Danish' styling, it is most likely a Barry Jones carved pipe, though it would take a Charatan or Upshall expert to know for sure.

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    BamaT, brit and gorgo2 like this.