Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

IMG_20140527_124650_657 (Copy).jpg

Filled with BCA! I keep reaching for the BCA...I love that stuff!

Monty Craig and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. Weeper Warrior

Are their any "basket pipes" left? I would love to have a decent briar pipe to take fishing or hunting without spending a mint on it. If I lost it no biggie! I haven't actually been to a "pipe shop" yet, just wondered if they still do that. There are two I have found but both are a pretty good drive, one near Birmingham, AL and one in Jackson, MS. Which are both over 2 1\2 hours drives!

3. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

Virginia flake is probably my all time favorite.

BamaT and Tattoobob like this.
  4. KcHighLife

I can tell you what I did. I bought a few Mr Brog pipes thinking no big deal if they get dinged up or lost. I have two that I still use around the yard but I find that I usually reach for one of my cobs. They are nice and light for clenching so you can have both hands free and they smoke nice and cool as well.
    While some are worried about the look, I embrace it. Plus once you've had a few bowls through a corn cob, you really don't care what anyone thinks. Make sure it's a Missouri Meerschaum though and not one of the imports.

Monty Craig and BamaT like this.
  5. Weeper Warrior

I have 4 MM Cobs and 4 pouches of their new tobacco coming. Great deal BTW at P&C! I have been look at them for a while but I am always leery about things that are overly hyped on the forums. I guess I will see for myself soon. Thanks, Bud!

Monty Craig likes this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Actually there are basket pipes still left. I live in the Birmingham area, and am very fortunate to be near one of the premier pipe shops to be found anywhere, The Briary. Google The Briary, and browse around, you're sure to find something you like! Their basket pipes aren't listed on the website, however, you'll have to visit the store for that. While maybe not basket pipes per se, Pipes and Cigars (I guess that's what you're referencing with P&C) sometimes has some inexpensive pipes. Like I mentioned earlier, you have to be careful with less expensive pipes. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't.

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

This morning I enjoyed some more Dunhill 965 in a Neerup pipe. I've met the maker of Neerup pipes, Peder Jepenson, at The Briary's annual pipe event, quite a nice fellow from Denmark.

image.jpg

8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Here's another view of this Neerup, one of three I own. The rustication across the bottom and coming up the sides fits perfectly in the hand, and has quite a nice feel to it.

image.jpg

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I have several MM corn cob pipes. While the bowl performs very well, delivering a cool smoke, the shanks are made of pine, and until you have smoked it several times, can sometimes irritate your throat. While I don't care for the plastic stems, it's hard to argue with a $10 or less pipe! If you really like the cobs, you can get a replacement stem here :
    http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/-forever-_stems.html

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Now that I know what to look for in a pipe, i.e. draft hole position, giant putty fills, proper bowl thickness, stem to shank fit, etc, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a "basket" pipe if it met most of the criteria for a good smoking pipe. They don't have to be perfect, but need to be close in most of the critical areas. The Briary often has basket pipes for about $25, and if you can find a good one are a real bargain. I found one a couple of years ago that I occasionally smoke while cutting the grass. If I drop it and break it, no big loss! Of course the cobs fit nicely into this type role as well, although they are a bit heavy versus a decent briar.

Jacob, what price range are you looking for in a hunting or fishing pipe?

11. Weeper Warrior

Well....Don't have a budget for one right now. I hit a deer Thursday and that is going to take my fun money for awhile. I checked out The Briary online that looks like a really nice shop. I may have to make a trip over there just to see that one. I am going to the one in Jackson soon ( only because I have to go to Jackson anyway) but think their prices are a bit steep. They have BCA calling it a house blend for $8 an oz. online. I checked a few of The Briary prices seem very fair for a local shop.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

$8 an ounce is pretty steep for a bulk blend aromatic. IIRC, The Briary's bulk prices are something like $3 or $4 per ounce. I've come to prefer tinned tobaccos for the most part, although I do like Newminister's Imperial Nougat. BCA I believe is Lane's Black Cavendish. You're right, most shops give bulk blends their own name. The Briary does that also, although they will readily tell you what it is.

Sorry about your car. Even with insurance, you're still out the deductible.

If you ever get over to the Birmingham area, I'd love to meet you at the Briary.

13. Weeper Warrior

I did notice that on the Briary website ,they have their name for it, then the Lane name of the blend on the jars as well. That is just good business. It grows trust in a customer. Not many businesses left that understand that. I will be going for the tinned soon for a treat here and there soon. Right now, I am trying to find an all day smoke, as I am trying to cut out cigarettes and switch to a pipe. I smoke around 7 bowls a day, that would get pretty pricey with all tinned tobacco.

We will have to do that! It will probably be a few months or so before I do. I will PM you when I know for sure when I am going. I just want to see that many pipe in one place! Looks sweet in the pics online!

BamaT likes this.
  14. Weeper Warrior

IMG_20140601_210857_596 (Copy).jpg

My new Stanwell 95 with Sutliff Casanova...Mmmm! Stanwell 95 is a heavy pipe with a very small bowl.:confused:

IMG_20140601_210837_475 (Copy).jpg

Monty Craig and BamaT like this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

That's a good looking pipe! I usually try to get something a little different with each of my pipes, but I don't have anything like that yet.

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

The bulk blends listed on the Briary's web site is just a sampling of what they stock. It is truly a unique store, and a pipe smoker's dream. Rather than a mall type setting, The Briary is located in an old house with a large front porch, a smoking room, large walk in humidor for cigar aficionados, one wall dedicated to tinned tobaccos, and a kitchen! I think you'll like it, as would any other pipe smokers on here that are close enough for a visit. I'd be glad to meet any of our forum family there.

One advantage to a local shop versus online is you get a chance to examine a pipe up close, and see how it feels in your hand, and how heavy it is. Assuming that is, that the local shop has much selection, and that is one way The Briary really shines. The owner and a couple of employees there are very knowledgable about their pipes and tobaccos.

17. KcHighLife

I've been eyeing that deal on P&C for a while now. I'm really curious about the MM tobaccos. Since they've been in the business for a long time they know how to pair the baccy with the pipe (one would think anyway).
    Keep us posted on the baccy! :)

Weeper Warrior likes this.
  18. Weeper Warrior

I found a guy in AL that makes stems for MMs as well. He also made this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALABAMA-MIS...207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338e164107

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Well that's certainly interesting. As big an Alabama fan as I am, I'm not sure I like the painted bowl. But I do like the Lucite stem.

I initially wondered if that stem came from Walker, but in reviewing their website I didn't see anything matching the Alabama pipe.

20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Just now got around to checking out the P&C special on MM tobaccos and pipes. That is a deal! I've got a pretty good supply of tobacco, and several MM pipes, but none of those in the special. Might have to get in on that.