Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Carter Hall, along with Prince Albert, are a couple of old standbys that are still going strong. Most people I've talked with in the past tend to favor CH over the Prince, but I tend to lean toward the Prince. They are fairly similar blends, being primarily burley with a light casing. I've considered buying one of their big tubs in preparation for the pipe tobacco apocalypse, but I've also heard both Prince Albert and CH are better in the bulk tubs, for some reason. Perhaps they are better sealed that way versus the small pouches.

2. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

I do tend to favor CH to PA quite a bit, PA is only good to me rolled in a cig. Through a pipe, PA just doesn't do it for me. Great flavor rolled, though. As far as tub vs pouch without a doubt way better in the case of CH. I really don't know on the PA, though. I have only bought a tub of it. I have about four ounces left of PA in the tub if you want to try it I will send it to you. I bought it to trade on another sight for a sampler of baccy. I traded 10 ounces tried it a few times just not for me. It is just going dry out here.

BamaT likes this.
  3. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Last night broke in the new Polinski XXL Freehand with some Lane 1Q. I was really surprised how well the pipe smoked on the maiden voyage. Excellent pipe and I will be picking up another soon as I was very impressed.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405867137.189015.jpg
    Also enjoyed the Bruery Melange 1.

David Green, BamaT and Weeper Warrior like this.
  4. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

Does stuffing a pound of cheap pipe tobacco into 600 cigarette tubes count?

5. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd in an old Delacour half-bent with a delicious ice-cold bevvy on the side. :)

We've had thunderstorms blowing through the past few days but it's clearing out now and looks to be a fine sunset this evening. There's a light breeze coming off the river and it's just lovely out on the deck right now! Have a good 'un gents...;)

[​IMG]

BamaT and Weeper Warrior like this.
  6. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Wow, that is some bend in that stem! Looks like a deep bent poker style. Is it hard to get a pipe cleaner through it?

7. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Yea it is a pain to get a cleaner in though I have excepted that I will have to wait til it cools to run through a cleaner.

8. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

POTD 07/29/2014

~ Esoterica Penzance in a clay pipe.

[​IMG]

BamaT likes this.
  9. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

How did that clay pipe work? I've heard one advantage is they aren't susceptible to ghosting with whatever blend you just smoked, but that they can smoke hot if you aren't careful. I've toyed with the idea of trying to make my own. Where did you get yours?

I've only tried one Esoterica blend, Dorchester, and it is really a quality VaPer. What did you think of the Penzance?

10. KcHighLife

KcHighLife Well-Known Member

I love both of my clay pipes. I got both of them at http://shop.pipeshoppe.com/
    The interesting thing about a clay pipe, at least to me, is that you can put it right in a fire to clean it out entirely. Yes, directly on hot coals! They do not really ghost and after you have several pipes with it, just toss it in a fire to clean it to 100%.
    It can burn a little hot if you're not careful for sure but, it's not that hard to keep it at a decent heat level. The weirdest thing to me is the tip gets a little moist and kind of sticky feeling from your lips/mouth. At least the way that I smoke it anyway.
    Penzance to me is something all should try once or twice to judge for oneself. While I like it, I personally think that people absolutely "love" it because of the rarity of it. The allure of having something that is hard to get makes it better in one's mind IMO. It's a good baccy don't get me wrong but not the sublime smoke of all smokes like people seem to think.
    With that said, this combo really works for me for some reason. I've had Penzance in briar and pear root pipes but, it seems to really pair up nice with clay.

BamaT likes this.
  11. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

This morning Savinelli Torturga with Russ Snow Drift blend.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409587562.560650.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409587627.465976.jpg

KcHighLife and BamaT like this.
  12. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Chacom Maya with Pembroke
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409702742.610178.jpg

BamaT and KcHighLife like this.
  13. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Peterson Kinsale XL14 with Tilbury. Enjoyed with Capt Morgan Private Stock.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409799907.064104.jpg

14. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Restored Wally Frank packed with SPS Top Shelf.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410129481.702620.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410129525.172439.jpg

15. Stubbl E

Kicked-off this morning with some of C&D's Kelly's Coin in a Comoy's 299 canadian; now it's Bulwark Flake in an old Custom-Bilt pot. [​IMG]

Coffee throughout. :eatdrink013:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bzero007, BamaT and KcHighLife like this.
  16. Stubbl E

Condor Long Cut in a wonderfully chunky old six panel rhodesian.

[​IMG]

17. Stubbl E

Bullseye flake in an old Wally Frank smooth apple with a cuppa hot Tetleys. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Earlier this afternoon enjoyed some Former's Private Flake mixed with a little McClelland Grey Havens, in a Neerup poker. Pictured with my Zippo pipe lighter, that I have come to prefer over other lighters or matches. I have also come to prefer rusticated bowls, liking the way they feel in my hand, and I believe they smoke cooler due to greater surface area. This one has a very nice smooth shank to go with the rusticated bowl.

Former's Private Flake is a Burley/Virginia flake, and Grey Havens is a Burley/Virginia blend that is light and just a bit aromatic. When I first tried Grey Havens, I thought it was totally bland and devoid of any taste, it was more like just vapor almost. So I put it back and let it age for about 9 months, and it has made a real difference.

image.jpg

19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Had some Dunhill Mixture 965 in a Neerup bent pipe. The rustication goes on around and broadens across the bottom, narrowing again on the other side. This makes the rusticated part fit nicely in the hand. 965 is a very smooth Scottish blend. Scottish blends are predominately Virginia with Cavendish, with Latakia and other orientals as condiments only. Danish pipe with Scottish blend tobacco!

Went nicely with a large mug of coffee with a little milk, and the coffee had cooled down.

image.jpg

txskimo and Bama Samurai like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

image.jpg

Keeping it old school...1976 vintage Algerian Briar versus Bell's Three Nuns...

Three Nuns
    is red VA and dark-fired KY burley spun into a coin cut flake.

Happy Saturday!

My fave lighter:Xikar Scribe - Burl Finished

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    txskimo and BamaT like this.