Your tools of the Trade

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by BigMark, Feb 1, 2014.

1. goodmoodmike

goodmoodmike Member

Main go-to choices

Gillette SS 1957
    Derby Extra Blade

Cheap VDH bowl (want to change)
    VDH boar brush

Em's Place Lavender Glycerin Soap Round

Shavex Alum Bar

Thayers Lavender

2. blk05crew

blk05crew Well-Known Member

I see a few of you using the VDH products. I've got my first razor and need to pick up a set of brush, bowl, soap. I've been looking at the VDH
    premium set. I know everybody has different opinions, but do you all think this would be good starter kit for me? Thanks!

3. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

It's really hard to go wrong with VDH as a starter set, assuming your location makes availability a non-issue. The soap lathers really easily, the brushes shed a bit but don't feel 'cheaply' made, and the skincare is very good.

blk05crew likes this.
  4. blk05crew

Thanks Jasman! Yes they are readily available, I could pick it up on the way home tonight! I thought it should work fine as a starter. Thanks again!

5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I started with a VDH set(bowl,bush,soap) and my son is now using the brush and bowl, I'm using a stainless bowl from China with the same dimensions..The main problem with the VDH boar brush in I.M.O. is excess hair loss, but for something to start with, thats locally available, lathers fairly well,inexpensive and should last a least a year or so it's fine I.M.O. The bowl is a ceramic bowl as good as any other, just don't drop it..The VDH Delux shave soap is steller especially for the price you pay...It's "melt and pour" and so it's easy to fit it to any storage bowl you like...

So bottom line I.M.O. I'd say yes it will make you a good starter kit until you can learn more and get something you may like better..
    FYI another cheap brush alternative, is the bestshave.net #6 horse(?) hair brush it's inexpensive at($5 shipped) and lathers well with minimum hair loss, mine at least has worked well for the last 2 years with daily use...:) Be warned though bestshave.net QC isn't the best...:)

blk05crew likes this.
  6. blk05crew

Thanks Eddie, good info sir!