Your worst blade

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChemErik, May 13, 2010.

1. fzrider

fzrider Active Member

I have only tried 3 blades so far (Wilkinson Sword, Astra, and Derby). The Astra's were the worst for me. I got bad razor burn each time I used them.

2. slimjim5751

slimjim5751 New Member

+1 With the merkur and the Derbys can't get on any of the wilkinson blades as well.

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It's not a pretty sight

[​IMG]

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:scared001:

richgem likes this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Of the approximately 60 blades I have tried, Merkurs are the only ones that were really bad in every razor in which they were used.

6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Another case of YMMV. I always get excellent shaves with the Merkur blades, especially in either of my 2 Merkur razors.
    The truly annoying, short-lived blades that provided uncomfortable shaves were given by a 5-pack of Dorcos given to me a while ago.

7. galhatz

galhatz Member

Dorco (yikes)
    Shark (phew)
    7 o'clock yellow (ouch)
    Personna Lab Blue (meh)

8. kcb5150

kcb5150 Member

Polsilver SI just feel rough as hell to me. I know, I know................

9. HOUS3Y

HOUS3Y New Member

Merkur blades have been the worst for me.

10. JSJS4

JSJS4 Member

For me it's a toss-up between a Derby, and a vintage Eberle.

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm not sure I have a worst blade. Each blade is different and reacts accordingly with razor, length of whiskers, prep and my technique.

12. jkarp_53

jkarp_53 Member

Practice makes quite a difference when it comes to blades...but I still hate Merkurs while their safety razors work so well. Go figure.:(

13. Dusan

Dusan Active Member

Gillette Stainless, red pack, for sure. I really don't know why they make them. Platinums (DP) are much better for same price.

14. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

Balaka.........99 cents for a ten pack and it ain't worth it

15. rowdi

rowdi New Member

wilkinsons…found them terrible

actually found derbys better

16. Robust Rob

Robust Rob Member

Believe it or not I think the first 2 shaves with feather blades give me more irritation than even my cheapest blades, even in my mildest razors. But they work great shaves 3-4. Those things are sharp and don't pull at all, I was surprised they irritate.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

They irritate because they are so sharp - they're peeling off extra layers of skin, thus causing the irritation.

HolyRollah likes this.
  18. RLB61

RLB61 Member

Derby. It's just plain awful.

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I'll never use another Feather blade again. I nearly slit my throat with one a couple of years ago, not to mention the cuts I had on my cheeks and chin.

20. Aimless1

Aimless1 Active Member

No matter the razor I have never liked Derbys. A Merkur came with the Mergress and although not impressed, it was the first three shaves with the razor and the only time I tried it.