Yuma Safety Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razor Reviews' started by skyfox12, Jul 27, 2011.

1. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

This is perhaps one of the best deals that one can find on the net. It is extremely economical, and delivers a shave that is indicative of a razor far beyond its price range. The reason I gave 5's for weight and balance is because I was trying to approach those qualities more objectively. Very light, and the balance could in my opinion be interpreted as perfect, or no balance at all. Just about as light as a Bic disposable. So I gave neutral ratings in those categories. Everything else is great. The material that the razor is made out of is probably of a lower class metal (steel, I think?), but the casting (shape, form) is good although a touch rough, and is hollow throughout the handle; hence the very light weight of it. The blade does not align perfectly when assembled (3-piece). You have to tinker around with it while assembling to ensure even blade exposure on both sides. Great care should be exercised while doing this as one would not want to accidentally touch the blade itself, of course. However once assembled correctly it is indeed quite a shaver. If it's supposed to be a facsimile of other razors, the one thing that distinguishes it as unique is the incredible amount of blade exposure, which works beautifully if you let a couple or so days go by without shaving and/or have a very course beard. Wouldn't recommend this razor to someone who has a fine beard or partial growth who shaves daily for redness and irritation could possibly result; but could be used if you shave only 2-3 times a week. I used a Wal-Mart Wilkinson sword when I tried it. I would recommend the blade you like best in it. Construction is solid enough despite feeling a little brittle. Some care should be taken when handling it but not overly so. Just don't use it for a baseball, and you will be just fine with it.

2. skyfox12

skyfox12 Active Member

I may have to amend this review a tad after using this a few times by saying that at the very least, it is a very, very aggressive razor. I have tried to use the lightest of touches and still get razor bumps (pimples); although I have never serious cut or even nicked myself with it. This razor may be best suited for those who have a very heavy beard growth. Either that or shave only twice a week which is what I ended up doing. I attempted to bend up the guard bar to see if I could close the gap a little bit but instead of the metal bending at all it snapped in two. The metal must have an exceedingly high carbon content to be so brittle. Its a real super duper/gung ho/go get 'em/no holds barred/take no prisoners/take no quarter/ type of safety razor. I really don't know what to call it if you can't call it a safety razor. Perhaps, "The Relative Safety Razor"?

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

yuma.jpg
    This razor resembles the Merkur C42 looks wise, but not quality wise.

This razor has also been issued with the ORAK name.

orak.png

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have seen this razor offered in a package from Bestshave that looked to me as though it would be a nice starter package for a new traditional wet shaver. This Yuma razor, that is (or was) offered in the package from Bestshave may or may not be a good shaver, but the other items in the package seem to be decent, but I no longer see their starter kit as being available...

I have a few bucks to burn. I have most of the other items in the they offered awhile back in that starter kit, maybe I should go ahead and grab a Yuma, and that Safety Razor #7, if only to have a heavier handle for my R-41...

5. stingraysrock

Holy deformed guard bar Batman! I do not want one of those!

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Does the R-41 have that light of a handle, because the Yuma is hollow and made of very light metal. It almost has no weight the way it feels in my hand.
    Full disclosure, I have one, but it sits in a drawer somewhere.

7. stingraysrock

My only complaint about the 2011 R-41 is the light handle. Other than the light handle complaint, the R-41 is the only razor I use these days.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You may be better off looking at the Bestshave blue or red silicone handle or maybe get Cooncat to make you a bull mastiff type handle. I would not go for the lighter handled Yuma.

9. stingraysrock

Right! Which I believe would be the Bestshave #7. I would prefer the Cooncat handle, but you have to pay to play!

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You got that right!

11. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Mine (in blue) is coming over from Turkey.

12. stingraysrock

Most likely the very same one I am looking at (in blue, from Turkey) from Bestshave.