Adjustable advice

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Joelio, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

Okay gents (and ladies!)

Tomorrow will be my first test run with my new (old) Black Handle Super Adjustable. I've never used an adjustable before.... Where do I start??

For a point of reference, my normal every(other) day shaver is a Cadet OC and I use a RazoRock mission from time to time as well.

Bobcat, Tattoobob and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Start at 3, if it's to mild go up 1, or to aggressive go down 1. With my Super Adjustable I set it at 7 and forget it. Take your time with using the higher numbers. Please share how it went.

BamaT and ObiDon like this.
  3. LookingGlass

LookingGlass Well-Known Member

Also, please use the same blade and soap during the test runs. Too many variables will keep you wondering if it is the setting. Do this for at least 30 days. Once you get settled on the number and are getting nice shaves, then branch out on the other gear. Please keep us posted.

Jasman, ObiDon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good, sound advice, do follow it.

5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Just pick any number you want and start there, it really doesn't matter because you'll know after a stroke or two if what you have it set on is doing what you want or not. If it isn't then adjust it up or down accordingly.

BamaT likes this.
  6. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Don't forget to loosen the doors before you change numbers. I just used my FB for the first time today set to 2. Milder than my Merkur HD. It was great on my neck but I will go to a 3 next time on the rest of my face.

7. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I started at 4 on my Slim adjustable, went up to 5, up to 6, and then back to 4! Then I gave it to my wife because she wanted a longer handled razor than the flair tip she was using.

8. Charles K

Charles K New Member

On my Slim, I shave on 4 and the 3 on neck; Works pretty well.
    I am using a Gillette Spoiler blade.

9. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

maltedmilk and ObiDon like this.
  10. Joelio

Joelio Well-Known Member

So I tried it out the morning for the first time, so I'll try my hand at a full review:

Razor: Gillette Black Handle Super Adjustable
    Blade: Gillette Silver-Blue
    Soap: RazoRock XXX
    Brush: Liojuny Silvertip

I'll skip the lather and go straight into the shave: Started on 4 (closest to the middle) and found it SUPER mild compared to my Cadet OC (which I use most of the time). I did about 2 stroke and had to stop and adjust. I ended up doing this a few more times until it got comfortable and closer to the "aggressiveness" I'm used to at a 7. There, I found plenary of blade exposure without being painful.

After 2.5 passes (WTG, XTG) it seems to be a very comfortable shaver even with the dial turned up. It's a lot lighter weight than my Mission or OC (those are solid brass handles) but not as light as my Weishi (which ways NOTHING). Good audio response and a handle that isn't long, but isn't too short either. Lots of good grip from the knurling on the handle. I didn't feel once light it might slip out of my hands.
    Rating (out of 5)

Shave quality: 4
    Ease if Use: 5
    Construction: 5

This will definitely be a regular in my ever expanding rotation!!
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
    Bobcat and BamaT like this.
  11. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I'm still new to this DE shaving so just went up to a 3 on my FB. I have an OC that will not be used for a long time. Going to 4 next. These adjustable razors are great.

12. Just experiment and see what is good for you. I start at 4 and go down for xtg and art.

13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I like seven for all my adjustables. slim,fb, and super. they all get set on seven. I don't change between passes, some do so I've heard.