Anybody use shaving oil?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Tom Husband, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Tom Husband

Tom Husband New Member

I'm new here and want to get away from cartridge shaving and move to a safety razor. I've been shaving with one of those muti-bladed things for a long time. I've been shaving in the shower and with a shaving oil (Total Shaving Solution). I haven't seen much mention of oil here. Is that because it doesn't work well with safety razors? Shaving in the shower saves me quite a bit of time.

Any advice appreciated.

R-C likes this.
  2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Many people on here use preshave oils and lather over the PSO (preshave oil) and shave. Have you tried the oil with your DE?

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Quite a few use oils as pre-shaves. The general sense I get is that, in a pinch, you can use it by itself, but it is best as part of the prep, before using soap or cream. A lot of us make our own, as it is easy & inexpensive to do.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. Tom Husband

Tom Husband New Member

No I have tried it yet. I'm still making up my mind on which DE to buy. I'm leaning towards the Muhle R89 so maybe I should go for it and experiment.

5. Tom Husband

Tom Husband New Member

Sounds like I'll have to change my routine a bit. Quit shaving in the shower and do it afterwards.

Thanks!

6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That's not a bad idea. Just after a shower, your facial hair will be softer. Also, if you get into DE shaving & working up a nice lather, taking your time is one of life's pleasures. Talk to some of the guys here about how much they like it.

7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Hi Tom. Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie give-away Here

8. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hi, my first and stil only razor was the muhle r89. I love it, has good design and really nice finish. The handle has a good grip and it's not very expensive.

I'm not planning on buying new razors anytime soon, I'm stil working on my technique.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Tom and welcome to TSD!

I've got one small bottle of shaving oil. Works for me, but I like it less than lathering up. For one thing if you use lather you can see where you've already been. But other than that there's no problem. It is faster than lathering, but less fun (YMMV).

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Hi, welcome!

Remember, just because a product exists doesn't mean you need to use it. Shave oil is something some people do, and some people don't. My on pre is to put water on my face before I lather. It's all a your mileage may vary thing. Do what works for you.

J_Man likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome, Tom!

I'm a regular user of pre-shave oils and pre-shave creams. I tend to apply these products post-shower.
    I have used both of these types of pre-shave products for the past 12 months fairly consistently, and in my own personal experience, I prefer to use them than not.
    Why? The extra layer of protection and glide the oil provides is added insurance for my sensitive skin. I don't have a thick beard, but it doesn't take much for me to develop skin rash.
    Regular use of these pre-shave products plus good-quality shave soaps have all but eliminated my experiencing post-shave irritation and red rash.
    Although I make both of these products (ps oil and ps cream), my preference is the cream (a combination of shea butter, lanolin, jojoba oil, vitamin e) which provides an excellent additional barrier for my skin against the onslaught of the razor.

Tubs of Pre-shave cream (L), and pump-bottle pre-shave oil (R)...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Mindy Marion and Omelmad like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Kevin, have you posted the recipe for your re-shave cream? If so, can you please put a link to it, in this thread? If not, would you post it? Thanks.

Omelmad likes this.
  13. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I use pre-shave everyday. For me, it makes a difference.

Mindy Marion likes this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Sara, I'm awaiting for the mail to deliver a few essential ingredients before I make another big batch of the PS cream. My plan is to make a thread with the recipe(s) I'm using—plus the usual photos of the process.
    Pre-shave cream, post-shave balm, and anything else that comes to mind....;)

The PS cream is similar to the recipe I used for the shea butter cream I made for my wife (I stole the photo from that thread to post above as it looks very similar to the PS cream) last July.
    I need to check the exact PS cream recipe, though, since its been a while. The shea butter cream (below) works well enough as a ps cream, but the addition of the lanolin improves the lasting feel on the face and ,IMO, a better 'barrier.'
    Shea Butter Cream

15. Omelmad

I would love that recipe too =) we're waiting =D

16. Omelmad

How do you add vitamin e? =P

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

As an oil—a natural preservative, plus additional skin benefits.

[​IMG]

Omelmad likes this.
  18. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

I need to start using mine on my neck... I forgot I had any :p

19. Omelmad

Ahh, never mind. Noway i will find that here...

20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Sure you will, just like I did - Amazon UK is your friend.

If you can't find it, lemme know and I'll check with my bookmarks when I get in front of my computer ;-)

Omelmad and RaZorBurn123 like this.