Camellia sinensis

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by The Weathered Strop, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Yes, tea! My favourite drink. I note, there is a great big thread about coffee. I'm not dissing coffee, I love it, but I always find tea is neglected in favour of coffee. I believe it is largely misunderstood, a lot of people may find it bland and boring. Or here in Britain, people tend to be extremely picky about how their tea is made. I am very open to tea, I collect teas and try them all, and all variations. I will drink milky tea, milk-less tea, strong tea, weak tea, sweetened, steeped anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes, hot, cold, tea bag, any grade of loose leaf tea, you name it. It absolutely can be as complex as wine, coffee, beer but it takes a lot of effort to explore.

What are your preferences?

tuxxdk and Keithmax like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'll drink the occasional tea...if there's no coffee available. :D

3. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

Keemun is a favorite, and Assam is good too. I will drink regular teabag black tea, but I prefer steeping my tea in a proper pot.
    I also like coffee -- I'd say I drink about equal amounts of T&C. Probably more tea in summer with ice. Lovely!

For bag tea I like PG Tips, Irish Breakfast, and Earl Grey. I also adore my SLEEPYTIME herbal tea (actually a tisane) before bed -- maybe it's all in my head, but the mere smell of it in the cup makes me drowsy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Sara-s and Keithmax like this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I am a coffee addict, 4-6 shots of espresso a day. Either espresso or machiatto or con panna. I am a tea drinker. Mostly green tea from Japan or Korea but I also like chamomile, peppermint and ginger.

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I lost my taste for coffee a little over a year ago. Now I drink 1 or 2 cups of tea - generally in a tea bag, but have about 2 kilos of tea bricks my son and daughter -in-law brought back form Beijing - its the same stuff her father drinks in China. I've really started to enjoy sweetened with honey, milked tea and I hesitate to admit it, my pedestrian tastes are heading right over to Lipton tea.

opsimath likes this.
  7. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I thought that title said cannabis sensimilla at first lol. I drink a hot cup of tea almost everyday, very soothing on the throat, and good antioxidant properties.

Robyflexx likes this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm delighted that there is a pomegranate-flavored tea now. Normal tea is fine, but I'd have to agree with Kevin's point of view in general.

9. I do find the more I drink coffee, the less tea seems to have any taste. But it only takes one or two more cups before I remember how great it is. I will be sure to post a pic of my current collection later.
    Ah my apologies!

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

There are stores that sell loose leaf tea, highly recomended. There are herbal teas made from dried fruit, some even taste like cool-Aid. There are many many options out there, and tea is good for your health in so many ways.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

No need to apologize. Never hurts to start a fresh thread and get fresh input. I just linked that in case you wanted some extra reading.

opsimath and Bama Samurai like this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I drink a good bit of tea. I mostly order loose leaf from Harney & Sons. My current stash is mostly black, ( Earl Grey, English breakfast, Scottish morn, Irish breakfast, Malachi McCormack's decent) that I drink with milk and a little sugar or honey. I also have some greens and oolongs that I can't spell, and don't feel like getting up to check, that I drink straight.

13. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

If you are really interested in trying a vast array of teas, try Upton Tea -- the website has many interesting varieties from around the world.

Highly recommended!

Robyflexx likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like Civet tea. It's a little gamey, and its tough following those dang Civet cats about, to gather it. Not many leafs gathered, per outing.

15. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Green Tea most mornings. Occasionally Black Tea if I need more of a caffeine hit. I recently tried Yerba Mate tea which to me tastes like what an ashtray smells like. Pretty gross straight. The Yerba Mate Sparkling Grapefruit Ginger drink is pretty dang good though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Earl Grey teas, or any of the variants, with milk for me. Occasionally a breakfast blend, but almost never green or white teas. And Rooibos (not a tea, of course) definitely is not for me.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Funny thing about Earl Grey tea; I love the smell, but don't care for the taste. I am partial to herbal teas, especially spearmint, or hibiscus. Hibiscus, sweetened with some honey, makes a great iced beverage.