DE Blades / Next Razor recommendation

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by capsfanx, Jun 29, 2017.

1. capsfanx

capsfanx Well-Known Member

So I went through my first blade sample pack in my Merkur 34C that had 2ea ZaZa, Dorco 301, Gillette 7 o clock Yellow and Green, Gillette Silver Blue, Bic Chrome, Feather, Merkur and Personna Blue.

I tried one of each as I was starting out and then went back through again to get a second impression of each. Along the way I have gotten better at shaving with a Safety Razor as well. A few of them I absolutely hated the first time through. The Dorco, GSB and Merkur. The second time through was a different story!

I really liked the Merkur but just cannot justify the price point. The GSB and the Dorco 301 I really liked the second time around. The Gillette Yellow and Green and the Bic I liked both times. The Feather I was scared to death to even try the first time based on what I had read. After finishing I liked it as well as decided that I was worried for no reason. Again, just the price point with them.

I felt the Dorco 301 was a pretty decent middle ground for sharpness and smoothness. Hard to beat the price point also. I have a local shop and picked up a pack of a hundred for $8.50. I have shaved twice now with the Dorco again and feel it was a good decision. I get a BBS or damn near @ 9 cents a blade! This will be my go to for an everyday shave.

I'm thinking of getting either the Bics, GSB or Gillette 7 o clock Yellow as well, just to have another option more on the sharper side.

I would like to get a more aggressive razor next or an adjustable. Then I'm sure I will have to check out a bunch of blades again to see what I like best in that. Any recommendations on a razor to try next? I have been thinking of the Rockwell 6C for lower cost or the 6S. But also maybe holding off for the new one they have coming out. Then I also have been thinking of getting a Vintage Slim or Fatboy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 and Linuxguile like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I would actually recommend holding off on getting new gear for just a bit. If you find you like a particular blade, then pick up a few tucks and do a 30 Day Rule using your razor, the same blade, soap, and brush. This will let you really develop your technique. In my opinion, you will find that you better evaluate equipment once your technique is solid. I know it sounds a bit boring, but I can tell you I made some rushed judgements on razors when I first started out. I found them to be completely different when I went back and revisited them.

3. capsfanx

Good point. I will definitely do that. Thanks for the advice!

4. Norcalnewb

You can always join us on the 30 Day Rule thread here. The guys there are extremely helpful and very friendly. Plus, they like to have a good time. You can jump in now if you want.

RyX, RaZorBurn123, GarnerPW and 2 others like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I'm auditioning blades for my '66 Schick Krona currently. So far, GSB(my baseline blade), Shark Super Chrome and this week, Voskhod. Next week, 7 o'clock Green. Coming to the 30 Day Crew at this point is an excellent idea.

RaZorBurn123 and Norcalnewb like this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The best advice. If I may add, I don't get a better shave with a $200 razor, when I think about it, a $10 razor is just as good or better.

RyX, Norcalnewb and capsfanx like this.
  7. capsfanx

I'm with you. I will never have a $200 razor I'm sure. That's why I was thinking the 6C , I think it's only $50. But I will stick with what I have for a while I'm sure

Norcalnewb likes this.
  8. Norcalnewb

+1 I shaved with my New LC this morning. Very near a BBS on two passes. Just as easy as could be, and it cost me $6 from the local antique shop.

RyX likes this.
  9. RetLEO-07

Once you get your technique down, hit either the fleamarket or antique stores and you could find something like this:
    IMG_0097.JPG NEW Short Comb $5
    IMG_0244.JPG '71 Super Adjustable 109 $1
    IMG_0306.JPG '52 Super Speed Black Tip $10
    They're out there and they shave great

RyX, Norcalnewb and GarnerPW like this.
  10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Keep using the one you have for now. You've already discovered that as you get more familiar with the razor you have, the blades become less destructive to your face.

Once you decide you want to try something new, watch for PIF's.

Mind you, don't hesitate to check out garage sales and flea markets. Even if it seems like something you won't want to mess with (encrusted in soap, whatever), you'll probably be able to trade it to someone else here that likes cleaning and testing them. That said, if you find a bundle tomorrow - keep using the one you have now for a while :) I don't suggest you spend as long as _I_ did with just one razor, but definitely keep working the one razor.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Blade performance is a very subjective area. What works for some of us, will not work for others. For example, I just can't shave with a Derby blade, but others here swear by them. I love Astra blades and others find them so so. It's all about how they work with your face. Technique is the other huge variable. As others have said, focus on your chosen blade brand for 30 days and then move on to the next until you've found one to your liking. Once you've decided on your blade, pick up a 100 pack of them. It's very economical that way.

Aggressive DEs... With the exception of my Edwin Jagger, Merkur and VDH, my razors are all vintage. A Gillette New is not much more aggressive than a Merkur 34c, but is a step up as I find it gives much better shaves. A Gillette red tip is fairly aggressive and will provide close shaves. A Gillette slim can be found for a reasonable price and, set at 7-9, is definitely aggressive. These razors can be found online for $10 to $35 depending on their condition. You might do better on the price at a flea market.

RetLEO-07 likes this.
  12. RetLEO-07

:signs011: Wisdom! Let us be attentive!

Jim99 likes this.