DEC 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Nov 30, 2015.

?

Do you use pre-shave oil?

Poll closed Dec 30, 2015.
  1. Yes.

29.9%
  2. I have tried, but don't use it regularly.

25.4%
  3. No.

40.3%
  4. What is pre-shave oil?

1.5%
  5. I am just here for the cookies.

3.0%
  1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Greetings fellow Denizens...

It's time for a new month, and a new 30 DAY RULE or 30 DAY FOCUS!

The 30 Day rule was a concept invented by GDCarrington, and it is something I strongly recommend for a brand newbie. I endorse and recommend a 30 Day Rule as the foundation for learning shaving in general. It greatly accelerated my learning curve, and helps to develop techniques that transfer across all razor types. The 30 Day Focus is geared more toward those who are more experienced, and gives more latitude to explore the interaction of technique and hardware.

On this thread, you are likely to see a mix of both things, and a wide variety of skill/experience levels and equipment. Some guys will go with themed months, but all 30 Day exercises are welcomed. All thematic elements seen in posts are unofficial with regard to this thread. All razor styles and experience levels are welcome here. Please read the above links, pick an exercise, and join in the discussion! This thread is based upon the idea that "Techniques Trump Tools." If you have shaving issues, we have solutions, from DE to SR! Great shave experiences, 30 focused days at a time, are what we aim to achieve.

Our discussions are motivated by the ideal of exploring and finding the best shave techniques for each individual. The discussion can be far-ranging, and this thread wanders quite a bit at times. We touch upon just about every aspect of shaving, and I guarantee someone on this thread knows the solution to just about any shaving issue. I encourage each user to use quotes when replying, so that we all can follow the discussion. Seek solutions, help someone out, meet the other members, master your equipment--but mostly, come be a part of a vibrant and dedicated group who knows how to keep the fun going! The only things required to participate are a decision to do a 30 Day exercise, a love of traditional shaving, and a desire to be a part of the TSD community we call the 30 Day Crew.

Special Message to New Shaving Converts: Welcome! You have landed in the right place. We love traditional shaving and we love people who love traditional shaving. Lots of good reference found >here<. If you are new to TSD, please go back and click that link...it will help you make sense of our acronyms and chatter. We are glad you joined the best shaving forum on Earth. TSD is participation driven...you should probably check out and post to SoS (SOTD), also! It is central to the goings-on at TSD. Feel free to jump in and post pics! It is probably the easiest way to get a feel for TSD and meet the regular posters. They love pics. Coming up with unique and/or interesting pics daily in December is an implied challenge. :) Good luck! Have something to ask? Please do! This thread is primarily about shaving technique, but discussion often touches upon just about any shaving topic out there. You are the reason this thread exists, and we welcome your participation, regardless of experience level. Also, if you are new, be sure to register for the December Newbie Give-Away, Moderator @RaZorBurn123 runs that drawing as a welcome for the new guys each month. We are glad you chose to be a member of TSD!

The housekeeping-

Support your forum here. TSD is a user supported community. I am a proud user of a TSD exclusive product almost daily. You may also donate funds using the link on the forum page. And FYI, PIF culture runs very strong on this thread!

:( Things we don't talk about:

Politics
    Religion
    Neal's Rapira Shave
    Other Forums and People

:) Things we do talk about:

Cookies
    Technique and Gear
    Shenanigans
    The Alabama Crimson Tide
    Whatever the day brings...

These are the rules. Follow them. This thread operates under the idea of the Golden Rule and being a good neighbor to all. FYI, everyone is your neighbor on the internet. :happy088:

So, now that all that has been covered...let the shenanigans commence. It is gonna be a great December!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for choosing to be a part of the TSD community! And be to sure to say hi to Igor and pick up a cookie!

image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
    TomJ89de, Ahh Oui, rbtek1 and 8 others like this.
  2. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

December Focus

This month I'll introduce myself to my Birth Quarter razors. I've collected two over the last 6 months and have never used any of them. So this will be another fun month.

I’ll probably rotate everything else.

…and I may even take a diversion and use a different razor each Sunday as part of my desire to be a regular participant on the Shave Den Sunday thread - using as many TSD products each Sunday to help support this entire Forum.

December razors
    Gillette Ball End 1955 A4
    Gillette SS Red Tip 1955 A4

Great shaves to all! (but watch out for that Ivan, he is NOT one of Santa’s elves!)
    Cheers!
    RT

TomJ89de, mrchick, Hodge and 11 others like this.
  3. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I think you'll really like that Red Tip, a step up from the regular Superspeed, but not so aggressive that it feels like it's going to bite. The Ball End Tech, when paired with a sharp blade is a great shaver too.

TomJ89de, mrchick, wmbjr and 7 others like this.
  4. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

December Focus.

I am going to focus on using the same razor, blade, brush, soap, and aftershave for a week at a time. That is a minor change as I usually use different soaps and aftershave everyday. I will also us boar brushes all month. The only exception will be Shave Den Sunday, unless of course that is the soap and aftershave I'm using for the week. Technique, technique, technique. :happy088::happy088::happy088:

TomJ89de, mrchick, Hodge and 10 others like this.
  5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

All I can say is that these focus groups are a lot of fun and entertaining to follow. I tried to stick with the straight for 30 days, but deviated twice.
    My hats off to you guys for your commitment and I wish you all the best of luck with your December focus. I'm a fan and supporter, but sadly not a participant this month.

Carry on Gentlemen...

TomJ89de, mrchick, Hodge and 10 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Twelve Blades of December!!!

As a tribute to the Twelve Days of Christmas I offer the Twelve Blades of December!!! What in the world is that, you ask? Well, it's a special way of giving everyone here at TSD a gift from me for the month. Actually twelve gifts, I suppose. For the month of December I've chosen 12 blades that I have never tried, and went back to Crazy Ivan mode and randomized the order along with 12 razors so the matchups are totally random. Here are the twelve setups in the order they will occur.

1. '46-50 Gillette Tech Centwin (India)
    2. '46 Gillette Aristocrat Prime (South Korea)
    3. '47 Gillette Super Speed Gentle Man (Who knows, anybody?)
    4. Razo Rock TTO Dollar Platinum (India)
    5. EJ DE89L Cloud (China)
    6. '18 Gillette Old Style Concord (Turkey)
    7. Rimei Vincent (China)
    8. '59 Gillette Super Speed Souplex (Germany)
    9. Gillette New LC Baili Green (China)
    10. '59 Ball Handle Tech Dorco ST301 (South Korea)
    11. '49 Super Speed Dorco ST300 (South Korea)
    12. Long Feng MEM (China)

Rules of engagement - Two shaves per setup, so the twelve blades will be finished Xmas Eve. Soaps and brushes as I feel like. Though I suspect you'll see a lot of Tabac, MWF and TSD Lanolin Bay Rum, along with the Wolf Whiskers, BoS Omega 10066 and Pony Vie Long 12601. No backing out of any of the shaves. If it sucks on the first stroke, well it's too bad. I'm just going to go ahead and finish the shave. Technique trumps tools, right? Even if the process makes you want to stick your head in the oven on high. Can I get at least near DFS with all of these setups? It could be a challenge, especially with some of the obvious poor choices. Special note - The third blade, the Gentle Man, is a total unknown. Don't know where it's made, nor anything else about it except it's a blade you can buy. Should be fun.

Now, you say, that's only good until the 24th. Quite right, oh observant ones. The 25th will be a special shave commemorating my one year anniversary on this fine forum with you fine folk. The actual anniversary date is the 20th, but I don't want to break stride. So, on the 25th, in honor of a year on the board, I'll use the gear I had my first "real" wet shave with. The VDH razor (Weishi), VDH blade, Tweezerman brush and Proraso Green soap.

The 26th through the 31st? Well now, that's my secret, but it's a parting gift for the month I think you'll like. My way of saying how much I enjoy my time here with all of you. And, to be serious, it's been a fantastic first year around this place. My life is more informed, more fulfilled and more entertaining because of the time we spend together on this forum. Thanks for all of the support and friendship. And here's to another year that's even better.

Oh, and Igor says hello.
    Mighty_Igor.jpg

TomJ89de, mrchick, Hodge and 16 others like this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

30-Day Focus for December

• Improve my technique using the Cobra Classic Razor
    • Continue to use the Mongoose and Black Mamba Razors
    • Use various SE and DE blades
    • Use badger, boar, and synthetic brushes
    • Use a straight razor to even my sideburns

8. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I can't wait to hear your comparisons between the cobra and goose.

I actually preferred the Cobra...in terms of shave experience. The Mongoose is much better in terms of quality and build.

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Can I add one topic to this list? Adam's Osage Rub Shave

Oh, wait a minute. We can talk about that. :p

wmbjr, Bama Samurai, Drygulch and 7 others like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

In November, I used a Feather Artist Club SS kamisori (considered to be an aggressive razor) to develop my two-pass shave. I will use the same basic technique (first pass WTG, second pass ATG, and touch-ups) with my Muhle R89 and Gillette Super Speed (both considered to be mild razors) to see if I can approach the shaves I got using the Feather AC. The R89 was my first DE, and the recently acquired Z3 Super Speed is from my lovely Bride's birth quarter. I'm free to vary other items in my set up. The idea is to test and challenge my technique.

I plan to finish out this week with the blade in my Pain Stick and then move to my December focus over the weekend.

mrchick, Hodge, Rufus T. and 12 others like this.
  11. DFrazier

DFrazier Well-Known Member

I will be using the same razor, blades, cream, and AS for the entire month and working on technique. I want to get good with what i have so when i decide to switch products i can tell the diference between bad form and bad product.

Products being used are.

Gillette fatboy
    Feather blades
    Taylor sandalwood
    Nivea sensitive AS balm

mrchick, Hodge, Rufus T. and 12 others like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Dec 1 Shave 1

A homage to the pain stick users of November.

I am splitting this Dec focus, the first 8 days will to a pain stick, CJB and the remainder of the month to soaps and creams. The reason is I am on vacation until the 8th and brought the CJB for just this reason.

With hopes that the skills I used from straights would mitigate the blood bath from past experiences with shavettes I loaded a Feather Pro. The first pass was no issue and allot of beard reduction, these blades are sharp. Second pass and all is well. On the third and final pass I cut a pimple and got a weeper. All in all I'm pleased at the minimum amount of blood. Light irritation and a solid DFS.

Irritation B+ Closeness B+

Arko stick
    Vie Long white horsehair fan
    CJB with Feather Pro
    Alcolado Galcial AS
    Castle Forbes ASB
    Dior Eau Sauvage

mrchick, Hodge, Rufus T. and 11 others like this.
  13. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I learned to shave from my grandpa using Williams, a gen 1 synthetic brush from Peerless, and a German Eagle straight razor found at a gun show. I shaved like this until my oldest child was born when I decided that he needed me more then I needed to shave. I kept a short beard for 6 years then a few months ago I started shaving for a job using a disposable. I hated it so I picked up an eBay fat boy and found this forum. I've been shaving with DE razors, SE razors and a shavette but I never really got back to where I started with a straight until now.

This month I'm going to gain back what skill I lost over the past years I've ignored straight razors. I plan on skipping 2 days where a good shave is more important to me the 4th for court and Christmas day with the family. I have 2 straights shave ready and hope to get a new wedge soon on loan. I'll use the first razor a French faux frameback from the Nationwide Box Tour, for a few days to decide if I want to keep it. After that I have a straight with no stampings or branding in any way. I think its between 1/4 hollow to 1/2 hollow. I plan on splitting the month between the unnamed one and whatever the loaned out wedge is. I'm unsure of my technique so for the first few weeks I'll be using a rolls razor for my 2nd pass and cleanup. The blades being similar means the shave quality should be about the same. I'm going to be rotating freely between my brushes, soaps and aftershaves in an attempt to find that "perfect" combo that creates shaving nirvana.

Since I'm an honorary member of the BOPS I'll post all of my mishaps with photographic proof so you can all laugh at sympathize with me and share in my learning process.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

30 Day December Focus

• Focus on my vintage razor with particular attention on my birth year Slim & Super Speed.
    • Use various brushes
    • Use various soaps with the hope of at least finishing B&M Seville
    • Participate weekly in The Shabe Den Sunday thread
    • Continue to improve my technique

mrchick, Hodge, Rufus T. and 9 others like this.
  15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I am looking forward to joining in on another month with the 30DC. This definitely my favorite thread on the forum, and I have learned a ton from participating.

I am going to spend the month using a Pain Stick. I have already started, and so far not too much blood. If this continues, I may opt to work in a straight razor towards the end of the month when I am off and should have more time for shaving. I hope this little twist doesn't offend the BOPS and my application will still be considered.

16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Great focus. As far as sympathy, if standing back looking at pictures of blood and gore and saying "better you than me" while laughing hysterically counts as sympathy, I feel your pain brother. :signs136:

mrchick, Hodge, Rufus T. and 8 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I vote for approval amongst the brothers.

Rufus T., wmbjr, Bama Samurai and 6 others like this.
  18. DDuckyMark

What I said was the good PR version of what you said. I was thinking point and laugh when I typed that.

mrchick, wmbjr, Bama Samurai and 7 others like this.
  19. DDuckyMark

Im just a junior member. I'll vote in the event of a tie.

mrchick, wmbjr, Bama Samurai and 7 others like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I'm going to grow a beard :shocked003:

Okay enough shenanigans, I plan on using soaps/creams, brushes and aftershave's I've rarely used, or never used.

Thanks Chris!!