First upgrade, brush or razor?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by troy_gies, Apr 4, 2015.

1. jrjones60

jrjones60 New Member

Brush.....I've got 3 on the way as we speak. A Plisson L'occitane Cade, a WSP Prince, and a Parker Safety Razor Synthetic.

troy_gies and GDCarrington like this.
  2. Brad58

Brad58 Member

Go for a nice brush.........

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I would upgrade the razor first. For me the razor makes a larger difference to my shaves than the brush. There are allot of modern and vintages options that will give you a big upgrade for a small amount of money.

troy_gies likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If you're looking to improve the shave, blade choice has more of an impact than brush or razor choice.

troy_gies and hrfdez like this.
  5. hrfdez

hrfdez Active Member

Razor first, but that's me, lol...

troy_gies likes this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

(YMMV)

Master the MTO and the world of vintage Gillette TTO will be your kingdom. Appreciation necessarily follows technique. So my suggestion would be to "upgrade" your brush, to L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic, actually likely a cheaper brush than the AoS you have now.

Soap is fun to explore too.

troy_gies and Quasar like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Tallships

Here's the current 30 Day Thread:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...c-discussion-thread.45265/page-19#post-846741

Come check us out! We love all things razor.

Petty3347 likes this.
  8. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

great advise. i have a synthetic wilkinson sword one at present. will look for a better one.

9. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty new to all this too, but I say get the omega brush. I have a kent synthetic and a boar brush, and I much prefer the boar bristle semogue brush I have. I like the scritch and am now looking for a even more 'aggressive' brush.

If you like a very soft tipped brush, the kent infinity is one to maybe look at. It has decent backbone, but is powder soft to the face. You don't have to soak it, and it dries quickly.

10. chrisbd

chrisbd Well-Known Member

+1 what he said and thanks for the tip re hiding some stuff for a while from "her indoors". Razors were the first thing I added but they're my real fascination.

Regards,
    Chris

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Wise choice.

I posted this some time ago, but it still holds true.

"...if you have the extra money to go with the better brush. "Why the Brush? Isn't the razor the important thing?" Well, frankly, no. The difference between an expensive razor and a cheap one is often miniscule. The blades are the most important part of the razor and they are dirt cheap. The difference between a good brush and a bad brush is huge. Notice that I said "good" and "bad" not "expensive" and "cheap." Good brushes can be had for under $20. Bad ones can be expensive. When it comes to brushes, research the brushes, ask questions, and read reviews before you purchase. Remember the price difference between an excellent top of the line boar brush and an average badger brush might be pennies. If you want to know more about the different types of shave brushes, this is a link to my brush sticky, "The Brush: Basic Information Everyone Should Know" in the "Brush" section of this forum. Here is a comprehensive guide to producing good lather. This is an excellent link that will get you started with your new brush."

"Yes, the brush makes a difference in the quality of the SHAVE! The SHAVE is not just the sum of lather and blade. The SHAVE is comfort and meditation and scent and even sound. The SHAVE is not just a utilitarian beard reduction - it is a sensual ballet; a synergistic interaction of disparate components whose sum is so much greater than the parts. The SHAVE is meditative - and the brush is an indispensable part of this dance. The right brush is the one that appeals in the moment, and it will change over time, only to come full circle again. Some things are meant to be analyzed... some things are just meant to be experienced and appreciated. Never settle for thin and sufficient if your heart longs for abundance!
    Doubt me on this? Tell me - why do you own so many soaps and creams and aftershaves? For the shear innocent sensuality of it! Indulge your SHAVE!"
    -jeraldgordon

troy_gies likes this.