Gillette is back!!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Morman Bridge, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Good point. I'll shoot them an email too.

2. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I just don't see where there is any sound business practice in Gillette doing this. Yes, they market crappy DE's to poorer countries so they can keep making some scratch off of the blades. Why on Earth would they market an opportunity for first world shavers to shy away from $3.85 cartridges in favor of ten cent blades?

I also think people tend to lend too much credence to the idea that AOS and Gillette are in any way related other than that they are both owned by the same even bigger corporation. That's almost analogous to saying that Pizza Hut and Taco Bell work together because they are both owned by PepsiCo.

chrisbd, AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Another forum mentioned a production run of 5000 and a price tag of $75.00. I don't think that would be worth up dating the Global Gillette website, they don't even put the current plastic DE's on the local websites ;) ...

chrisbd, macaronus, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  4. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Wow this is something I don't read everyday. It sounds exciting, but I don't know if I'm all that excited. If Gillette does come out with some of their own DE I don't want to pay top end prices. If AOS is their distribution then I can only imagine what a fatboy would cost. If the razors are just rebranded anything , I'm not interested. It would be cheaper for me to buy the original brand. Which I'm not interested in doing anyway. I purposely purchased the weishi because it was cheaper than buying the micro one touch or the van der Hagen rebranded version.

If merkur can make the futur for a reasonable price I'm sure Gillette could. Now if Gillette would follow what other companies have when they "reissued" a classic line, their pricing would reflect it as well. For instance , I use to collect transformer toys in my 20s. Hasbro started to reissue their original line and the collecting market tanked. You could buy either the original at a higher price or you could buy a new reissue of the original for a fraction of the price.. I chose to buy the reissue vs. the originals that were missing their accessories and the condition wasn't that great.

But to each their own... I look forward to seeing what they release

chrisbd, AGHisBBS and Morman Bridge like this.
  5. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Gillette don't produce their Fusion razors themselves, so I can't imagine them producing DE razors. They will be sub-contracted out to an OEM, partially assembled, or just re-branded....

6. jstolp

jstolp Active Member

Perhaps not. The other forum must have gotten the info directly from Gillette if they have the production run numbers.

7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

No, AOS. But it has been slow to fruition. Someone has seen a poster...

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=37864

BeShaved, chrisbd and Morman Bridge like this.
  8. Morman Bridge

Proprietary blades? Makes sense. Perhaps that is their game plan.

chrisbd likes this.
  9. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

April is just around the corner. We will see what comes of the information . Thank you mr Norman bridge for bringing us this. I don't follow other forums and I appreciate it.

chrisbd, jstolp and Morman Bridge like this.
  10. Morman Bridge

I was very excited to get the information myself. You are very welcome, but I am only repeating news heard elsewhere that I verified. I sure hope this turns out to be an epic DE moment. I can hardly wait to see what AOS and Gillette cooked up.

11. Morman Bridge

@Darkbulb , have you heard anything about this topic?

chrisbd likes this.
  12. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

That's almmost as crazy as Taco Bell ans KFC being together in one building. Wait. . . I've seen both and even a store that was Taco Bell, Pizza Hut and KFC.

If this happens it will be a small batch thing to generate interest. I don't expect great quality or an affordable price tag. It's probably a gimmick. Besides I've seen the prices on the newest Gillette DE blades and I wouldn't pay that much for blades. They may want to generate business to draw people in to buy more stuff at their stores. Soaps, Brushes, AS, Pre Shave, Blades, Stands, Mirrors, All money that they can make if they can convince more people to come into the store.

chrisbd and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

I heard/can confirm the same thing...the FB is a possibility if the tech/s do well.

chrisbd likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've heard/read the same thing.
    I remember something about the first 500(?) out of X (maybe 5,000...can't remember) - being sold at a premium and potentially numbered.

I believe the last I heard was that it was to be introduced in Q2/2016 which of course means somewhere in the April-June time frame.
    Would be pretty fun if it happens :)

chrisbd, macaronus and AGHisBBS like this.
  15. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Is this being released on April Fool's Day?

chrisbd likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol, if that's what it turns out to be then my hat off to AoS! :D

chrisbd likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Something like 80% of the world's male shaving population uses DE razors. The DE razor is still king in all third world countries. Gillette is trying to change that, with somewhat limited success.

For the rest of the doubters, remember that Gillette did renew their trademark on the Gillette Tech name last year. Now we have a ligtimate reason for them to do so. Just throwing that out there since no one else has made that connection yet.
    https://trademarks.justia.com/866/44/gillette-tech-86644251.html

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    chrisbd, Spyder, ninjack and 5 others like this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Maybe because someone at P&G/Gillette realized that since DE shaving has some popularity in the US and since they make DE blades at practically zero cost, anything they sell them for in the US is pure profit. Hence the Platinum Plus blades at Walgreens and their ridiculous price.

What I don't totally get is why Gillette stopped selling DE blades in the US, but continues to sell Trac II, Atra and Sensor cartridges. I understand that a lot of people still like the Trac II, but don't quite get the idea of supporting all legacy shaving systems *except* DE.

chrisbd likes this.
  19. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

This ties into my thoughts in the Gillette DE blade reintroduction thread here. But will believe when I see it as well, but there does seem this could be possible.
    well almost.....remember my post from Feb?
    New DE blades by Gillette

chrisbd likes this.
  20. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

This is all of the stuff I was too lazy to type when I called rubbish.

I remain, resolutely, in the rubbish calling camp.