How do you Pick your BRIC?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by maltedmilk, Jun 4, 2015.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    In economics, BRIC is a grouping acronym that refers to the countries of Brazil, Russia, India and China

EDIT: I meant to show inline pics but botched it. Thumbnails below. Sorry.

I've been thinking about "value priced" modern razors and the global economy. By "value priced," I mean the slew of imports available in so many different e-commerce outlets all over the internet, most of which seem to have Zamac heads. There are some great shavers at excellent prices, but how do you determine if it is the same head on a different handle? It may be impossible to tell from a picture, but I hope the experience of the TSD collective might shed a little light. I'll start us off with a couple of thoughts and a few pictures (stolen borrowed from the internet at large).

I group the mass produced imports in two head types: open comb (e.g. Pearl) and the clones of the Muhle/EJ hybrid head. I only have one of the open combs, the RazorRock Little Bastone (same head as their Jaws). I've read here and elsewhere that the same open comb head graces Cadet, and Pearl. The Pearl is made in India and could be THE source of most imports. Can anyone confirm of deny?

A Pearl razor:

The next group has some variation, but they are all styled after the Muhle/EJ hybrid head. Leading the pack is the Maggard brand. I accidentally discovered their supplier awhile back and have seen their razors in several e-outlets under various names. However, I nominate Maggard as the pack leader because of their well demonstrated customer support.

EJ D89

Maggard MR6

The most noticeable difference between the D89 and the MR6 is the end view profile. The D89 has a "bellied" bottom plate and the MR6 is stepped. I find the shaves both superior and the differences subtle indeed. The end profile does not indicate the shave quality.

I have two more bellied imports, the Utopia and the Parker 71R. TSD rumors said the Utopia was from Pakistan. My 71R is stamped "India." My Utopia joins the ranks of the MR6 and DE89 for shave quality. I have (permanently?) benched my 71R because I find it harsh. It is not aggressive. I have an R41 and FaTip Grande for that. The 71R repeatedly fails to deliver a smooth shave. Perhaps the right blade is out there somewhere, but I'm done looking for it.

Utopia head (borrowed from @GDCarrington and cropped - Thanks, Gary! )

Parker 71R

I have eyeballed a couple of other "value proposition" razors. I feel sure they are made in a BRIC plant somewhere. I really want to try these (stupid RAD!), but figure that, other than their handles, they will not add variety to my den. If they are good shavers, they'll just join the EJ Trio. If they are lemons, then I keep the handles... but how many spare handles do I need?

SimplyBeautiful (stepped) 15.95 w/ Prime

Samurai CS201 (bellied) 20.99 (free shipping) (Could it be a Utopia? Handle is only slightly different)

Perfecto Long Handled (bellied) 19.99 w/ Prime

I used to have a straight-from-factory-in-China link to a nice looking import with the Muhle/EJ style head. It has slipped back into the vast internet sea of bargains. I hope it comes back with the tide. I'd like to compare it to the others.

SO... what light can the shaverati shine on identifying import razors? Do you have re-branded but identical razor heads from different sources? Have you ever gambled on one of these cheapies and decided it was a duplicate from your collection?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    GDCarrington likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My Utopia razor head was a disappointment. It would not align the blade correctly. You have to take care to make sure the blade aligns equally on each side. They refunded half of the price and I kept it for the handle.I don't have experience with others, but my RAD is calling. Must resist.

maltedmilk likes this.
  3. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    That's probably the biggest risk with the imports: variable quality. I wonder if my 71R was a dud... or maybe from a batch of duds, because I read a review that called it harsh. Quality review is one of the value added services that the good folks at Maggard provide. Don't remind me of the Mercurry! I wouldn't even throw it in a drawer with a harsh 71R.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just looked at the Mercurry. I would not let that anywhere near my face. Ouch!

maltedmilk likes this.