I Forgot... What Does Technique Mean With Shaving?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by theguitarshaver559, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

I think I asked this question before, but oh well I'm going to ask it one more time. Hope it does not hurt anything. What does technique mean with safety razor shaving? Does it have anything to do with how you use the razor, or is it something else? I forgot, sorry.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I don't think I have seen an actual definition. However, when I read about technique, it is getting the correct blade angle and the right (minimal) amount of pressure. One could also add in building a good lather and having good preparation for the shave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

dustmite likes this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Technique is simply how you do something. Doesn't matter what it is... shaving, driving, golfing...

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. swarden43

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Two links in my signature explain Technique.
    Ride the Cap is a way to put DE razors against the skin for better beard reduction with less irritation.
    The 30 Day Rule/Focus Crew is a support group for discussing improving Technique for all facets of shaving. It's a no pressure, honest, open group where the only goal is getting your best shave with the gear you have.

Screwtape and RetLEO-07 like this.
  6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy096:

RyX likes this.
  7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Everybody's can be different. There is no one answer.
    [​IMG]

AGHisBBS, RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I know that you are probably just thinking about shaving, but don't overlook a good slick lather. Along with everything else, spend some time dialing in your lather and the quality of your shaves will improve.

RaZorBurn123 and RyX like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Repetitiveness

Matt0210 likes this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Technique is everything. Your routine from the time you walk to the sink until you finish your clean up and walk away smooth and happy. How you build and apply your lather. How you hold your razor. How you align it to your face. How much pressure you use. How you move it across your beard. All this is technique. Once mastered the magic appears.

Matt0210 and RyX like this.
  11. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

When I hear the word technique, I think of the fundamentals. The absolute bare essentials you must have to be able to shave successfully with ANYTHING. And those are pressure and angle IMO. If you haven't grasped the right angle and applying no pressure, no amount of quality soaps, brushes or blades will help you. They are the most important things to master. Once you have those two things down pat it's all about preference. Cold water, hot water, ATG,XTG, which soaps, boar,badger, that's all preference. But technique supersedes them all.

ninjack and Screwtape like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The thing is fhough that without good prep and lather technique the best blade and razor will not give a good shave. To steal a line I read the other day technique trumps tools. Technique has to include everything to bring around the good shaves we all hunt.

Matt0210 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

To learn to ride the edge with soft hands guiding your way.

14. swarden43

May I correct that and say, "GOOD technique is everything"? Or even, "PROPER technique is everything"?

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Technique Trumps Tools is a line used on the 30 Day Rule/Focus Thread quite a bit, and it really holds true. Once you get technique down, you can literally shave with just about anything (see the carriage bolt razors used on March 15 in the thread).

As @RyX mentioned, the 30 Day Rule/Focus Thread really focuses on helping to develop technique. Those guys have been a big help to me, as this site is in general. They are very welcoming; I would invite you to check it out.

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

This is very true. Correct away.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That thread is awesome! I look tbrough it often.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  18. mrchick

Join us in a focus. The thirty day focus has done more to help my technique than anything else. Plus, it's a great group of lunatics.

wchnu and RetLEO-07 like this.
  19. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Speak for yourself. I'm not a lunatic..I'm just nuts.

wchnu likes this.
  20. mrchick

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.