Newb with INsensitive skin

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by StuartV, May 29, 2015.

1. StuartV

StuartV New Member

I'm 48 years old. I've been using regular 2 blade, then 3, then 4, etc.. cartridge razors since I was about 13. I don't like the expense of the cartridges for those. A friend just told me he uses a DE safety razor and suggested I try it. So, here I am on the Internet reading up on the subject and thinking about ordering my first kit.

My biggest question is this:

Do I really need anything more than just a razor and some blades?

I do not have sensitive skin. I have never had trouble with ingrown hairs, bumps, or any other kind of skin irritation. I never get nicks. I used to use shaving cream, then shaving gel. Nowadays, I shave in the shower, just using regular bar soap to lubricate my skin. My beard is fairly heavy and somewhat coarse, I would say. I actually do have a full but closely-trimmed beard, so I just shave my neck, under my chin, and my face around my nose area. But, I do shave every day. And I shave my entire chest and stomach, usually about twice a week. And I shave the back of my neck every week or two. With all that, I usually only change my blade cartridge maybe once a month. And even then, it's usually only because I just feel like I oughta change it, or because it's no longer shaving my chest (very hairy) as easily as a new cartridge does and I get tired of the extra time it takes to shave my chest with an old cartridge. I still don't get nicks or irritation, even on my chest - unless the cartridge is REALLY old, in which case I'll sometimes feel a bit of razor burn on my chest. But, just a bit. No big deal at all. And I've never ever had the thought "gee, I just shaved and my beard is still too long." My beard grows pretty fast and I think I'm still going to have a shadow at the end of the day, even if my morning shave cut it 5 microns shorter.

Part of me feels like, with all that, the ONLY benefit I would get from a DESR is that it will be cheaper - but that money savings will be at the expense of taking longer every day. So I'm really not sure I should bother. I am not sure the cost savings are even worth an extra 5 minutes every morning. And if I really need to also spend money (and time) on shaving creams/soaps/lathers plus the initial cost of a good brush, much less after shave products, then I'm *really* not as keen on the idea.

So... help? Given my insensitive skin, should I be just fine to continue shaving in the shower and only using bar soap to lather my skin? If all I really need to buy is a razor and a few blades, then I'm game to try it, even if I end up going back to a cartridge razor setup.

TIA for any insight!

- Stuart

2. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I think DE shaving makes shaving more enjoyable. I have been able to get a closer shave and I used to hate shaving but now I wish I could shave more often. it does open up the doors to a vast array of products so you would want to use the bare minimum in order to save money but it can be done. there are lots of other reasons people choose to switch like it puts a lot less waste in the environment, aromatherapy from the scented products, closer shave, better skin, and its a hobby. I would not recommend DE shaving without soap/cream because there is no lubrication on the blade as there is with cartridge razors. the choice is yours.

3. StuartV

StuartV New Member

So.... can I use it in the shower with just regular bar/bath soap on my face? Or do I have to buy shaving-specific soap or crème and a brush?

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You can use bar soap. Dove bar soap actually makes for a pretty decent shave soap. Ditto for Pears.

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. StuartV

StuartV New Member

Thanks, PoM! I actually use Dove bar soap, so that's great to hear.

PLANofMAN and Omelmad like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

There is no need for shaving specific soap. We usually say do what works best for you. If dove works then go with it.

I happen to like shave soaps and creams, and the variation =)

Try getting only a razor and a few different blades to see what works well for you.

tuxxdk likes this.
  8. StuartV

StuartV New Member

Thanks, all! I just bought a 1966 Gillette Adjustable Slim on eBay. Born the same year as me, but looks in better shape. :)

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

All you really "need" is a razor.

Maggards has some nice one that are very affordable.

A good shaving soap and brush makes the shave very enjoyable and can be had for $25 ish bucks total. Boar brushes take some breaking in but can be had very cheap. A great cream regularly between $10 and $15 is ToB. A little cream goes a long long way. There's also C O Bigelow and others for less. Soap can be had for the price of your bar of soap (maybe a buck or two more) and will last longer.

Shaving can get expensive as a hobby but does not need to be.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

A warm welcome to you from North Texas. You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day Rule and more on shaving hardware and software.

With that being said ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

11. Metro

Metro Well-Known Member

Stuart, like the others said, I find the use of brush and soap/cream make the shave more enjoyable, but it doesn't mean it's the only way to get a good shave. I would like to point out though that if you shave in the shower and don't want to bother with brushes and lathering up, there are excellent brushless creams/oils out there that may give you better glide and protection than soap alone.

Now the razor for me was definitely the focal point of wet-shaving. A DE will require an initial investment, but can be had at different price points depending on your budget. You can get an awesome shaver for anywhere between $30-70, but there are options which are even less and way more expensive. The saving grace is like you mentioned, the blades. Dirt cheap compared to carts. Seeing that you don't change it often, a DE blade will certainly last you longer than the average guy too. So more savings, and more fun!

Metro's recommendation: Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89 with a blade sampler. Cheers!

12. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That is a good razor. I used to have one. I prefer the Fatboy, but sometimes I miss the longer handle of the slim.