NOVember 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Oct 31, 2016.

?

What are your plans for NOVember

Poll closed Nov 30, 2016.
  1. No Variation baby! Gonna RULE this month!

16.7%
  2. No Variation on the razor/blade but I'll FOCUS around it!

10.0%
  3. Gonna do my own thing, thank you very much....because I CAN!

36.7%
  4. Shenanigans Palooza baby!

20.0%
  5. Forget this shaving thing....it's really NO SHAVE November, no matter what you say!

3.3%
  6. I'm more worried about getting in shape to make it to the table on Thanksgiving!

3.3%
  7. Cookies. Lots of cookies. SO MANY cookies!

36.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

If The 30 Day didn't have a theme song yet, I'd cast all my ballots -alive or deceased- for that tune!

2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

29 November 2016

IMG_1169.JPG

Secret Santa visited, so for today...I decided to use the Stirling he so thoughtfully sent my way. Stirling is familiar to me through Glacial Obsidian, but this was my first time with current production Gentleman. I don't really have the scent nailed down yet, but my initial impressions are pleasant, clean, sweet and maybe a bit cassia. I placed a marble sized scoop of soap into a bowl, added a splash of water and loaded the Plisson "liked it owed me money", as @Keithmax puts it. The result was an easy-to-face lather two pass shave per usual. The soap made dense lather and provided good glide for the Russian steel. Tomorrow, I will use Lea Shave Stick and wrap up November! Long, tiring, but good day out on the prairie. Other than that...all is quiet in Colorado.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!
    :)

3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

4. Bama Samurai

Can I go ahead and hijack it?

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It's unhijackable, remember?

6. Bama Samurai

Yeah. I hate that sometimes. Silly me.

Drygulch, Keithmax, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well, look in the mirror. It's your design. I'm just the caretaker.:taunt002:

Drygulch, Keithmax, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Not a theme song, but more like the music that plays when we pick up Pain Sticks, Popsicle sticks, or anytime @NCoxSTL thinks about Rapira safety razors or walks into a boxing ring. Ironically titled.

9. Bama Samurai

Two dudes...Two dudes walk into a bar...

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I could shave to that. Pain stick....Popsicle stick....even the dreaded Rapira razor.....it's all in the rock baby.

11. Bama Samurai

That riff...that bass line. The Pumpkins were like 70s wall-of-sound/arena rock with a 90s grunge aesthetic, and sometimes, like in Cherub Rock, it was a perfect sound for the age. It's aged well.

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

You kids and your fancy new age music. Guess I'm a traditionalist.

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender says, "Why the long face?"

twhite, NCoxSTL, wristwatchb and 5 others like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

November 30, 2016
    Wolfman WR-01 Ti OC with Hempel Ti
    Feather
    CH2 Synthetic Jade LE “Tres Amigos Dos”
    Route 66 Twisted Tweed
    Witch Hazel
    Cool Water EdT

[​IMG]

Another very good shave to end the month. Another consistent near BBS shave this morning. My main take away from November has been how consistent my shaves have become. I started off the month using a vintage Personna 74 Tungsten blade that I used for 21 shaves which amazes me. After using the Wolfman OC with increased blade gap for the entire month, I must say it is an exceptionally smooth and efficient razor. With the exception of 2 days I have used a Simpson CH2 Synthetic for each of the shaves this month. While I do have other synthetics the CH2 Synthetic is by far my favorite synthetics and some of my favorites period. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday.

[​IMG]

15. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

IMG_4469.JPG

November 30 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Arko
    Gillette Rocket
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Clubman AS

It was a good month of shaves, and this one fit right in with that. It was a quick gym shave, but very smooth. This was the fifth shave with this blade, the Rapira SS, and it still is going strong.

One thing that dawned on me this morning is that I seem to have different tricky spots with a DE vs a SE. With DE razors, I tend to have more issues with my jaw line, with SE the issues are more on my neck. It is just an interesting observation to me.

I didn't make quite as much progress on clearing my den as I had hoped, but I did make one decision. I found that I prefer SE razors to Injectors. I have 8 Injectors, and I will be getting rid of some of these. I will keep the adjustable and G3. I also have a Type A that will be staying if nothing ease for the cool factor. I have C3 that I am on the fence on. The E3, G1, J, and Hydro-magic will be sent on their way.

Thanks to everyone for another fun month. I hope everyone has a great day!

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Gillette Tech 38-41 US, Bulldog Handle
    Polsilver Super Iridium (4)
    Semogue BC Texugo
    AOS Lavender SC
    Alum

A nice close shave to finish out the month. I was getting good shaves with a tech at the beginning of the month, but they have improved.

Back to obscurity, enjoy your shaves all.

17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTN NOVember 29th
    [​IMG]

Ikon X3 Slant
    Gillette Rubie (2)
    Satin Tip The Purest
    Arko
    Crown King scuttle
    Homemade Lime AS

Life has been busy and I haven't had time to post, but I'm finally getting back to it. One shave ago I decided to revisit the Gillette Rubie. I put it into my Merkur 34c and was really underwhelmed by its performance. It was tuggy at the start and really didn't leave me with a smooth finish. So last night I decided to see if it could at least be usable in the X3. Surprisingly I was able to get a decent shave out of the Rubie with the X3, there was no tugging and after 3 passes I was left with a DFS. Also as a side note last night was my first deviation from using La Toja and I was kinda surprised at how much slicker Arko is. IMO the price/performance ratio of Arko simply can't be beat. Yes there are many soaps out there that smell better and possibly perform better, but at less then $1 an Oz Arko is a fantastic product. Have a great day my friends!

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding picture with excellent gear. :happy088:

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I really enjoy how you display your end of your focus with your monthly shave pictorial. :happy096: Well done!

Norcalnewb, RyX, Drygulch and 2 others like this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank you Doug! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Norcalnewb, Drygulch, clint64 and 2 others like this.