Secrets of Using a Fatip razor

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by maltedmilk, Nov 3, 2014.

1. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    OK, I have no secrets: I am asking for some. I am three shaves into my new Fatip Grande and was seriously considering dismissing it from my rotation. Then I searched on TSD and re-read some of the threads that made me want to try it in the first place: here, here, here, and here.

I started with a Treet black carbon, but switched over to Personna blue, which is a pretty good blade for me. I have tried using an ever lighter touch. Ever tortured a sleeping person with a down feather by lightly tickling the nose? I was trying for that kind of light touch but couldn't get that great shave that these guys reported:
    @RaZorBurn123 , @Jasman , @Monkeylord , @ChiefShaver , @CyanideMetal ,@Ryan B , @Hairy Alaskan , @kingfisher

I tagged you guys because you have all reported good shaves from Fatips. What are your keys to taming the Fatip? In the threads I've researched, the only tips I've seen detailed is swapping handles. Surely there are others!

I was struggling with finishing one of my trouble spots and felt a little burn coming on. I grabbed my Schick I2 and that spot cleaned up as smooth as a ceramic tile in one fast, easy pass of the injector. I am torn between saying "forget it!" and "Now it's personal!" I hope those with good Fatip experiences are willing to help. If we capture your wisdom in a single thread, I suspect it could be sticky worthy!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
    178-bplatoon and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The best success that I had with the FaTip was selling it for the same amount for which I had purchased it. :D:lyrtuy5:

3. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I would just throw it away and keep the injector, you know me. But I'll try to help you here. I could never get a comfortable shave with my Fatip Grande. The blade exposure was too big for a DE and the paper thin blade would flex and cause cuts. Steel can vibrate. Press down on the Fatip blade exposure if you want to see massive flex. Those vibrations can cut you up. That, and the thin flexible blade can be deflected inward into your skin by tough hairs when shaving ATG. There is a reason why DEs hold their blade under tension and can never get the kind of blade exposure SEs can. I never failed to get either massive redness from razor burn or weepers from the Fatip. I know people will inevitably say YMMV and "technique" but the reality is that there are tools more forgiving than others. The good was that it only happened ATG. You can resort to shaving WTG only. It is unfortunate that thicker DE blades are no longer made. Have you thought about using a shim to make the blade more rigid?

Boojum1 and maltedmilk like this.
  4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

For me, the FaTip works well with a relatively extreme angle - more decidedly flat against the face than I use with the Merkur 41c - and the right blade. Because the FaTip is on the aggressive end of the spectrum, I need a blade that doesn't have the reputation for extreme sharpness that a Feather, or even a Bic, tends to have; Teflon coating on the blade really seems to make a difference here, IME. Couple these with a slick lather, and I can get 3 passes in, generally without bloodshed.

Thanks for reminding me it's about time to put the FaTip up for another turn in front of the shaving mirror.

Boojum1, RaZorBurn123 and maltedmilk like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I wouldn't give up after 3shaves. Im very mindful of the pressure I use when I'm using more agressive razors. Also I believe the angle is a bit different from other DE razors. Are we talking one trouble spot? Or the entire shave? How about a preshave oil? Would add some glide to that trouble spot. If you're making a pass without lather on the spot, yeah you'll be in deep burnville.
    When I use my FaTip I make sure I use my slickest soap, no pressure, no passes without lather, 3pass max. I have the piccolo, I find the handle to be ok. Blade choice, I'm a Ladas or Personna Lab Blue. I hope this helps. Don't give up so soon. You will be rewarded with really nice shaves.
    Kerry

Boojum1, macaronus and maltedmilk like this.
  6. maltedmilk

Article Team
    The whole shave is more "burny" than my new RazoRock Little Bastone (same head as Jaws) and the more aggressive of the ER 1924 SEs; I don't have a R41. My EJ, Ultra, and lowly Yuma all give me smoother results with fewer passes and less touchup. (I can take all three of these guys straight up hill for the One-N-Done! No burn, either.)

I used Shave Secret PSO and Mitchell's Wool Fat for the soap. It seemed impressively slick. I may have gone back over a small area or two without relathering, but I'm wanting some extra protection! It feels like I should just buy some Noxema... mixed with Solarcaine!

<sigh> OK... I'll try again tomorrow. Maybe some more FaTip experts will chime in tomorrow and I may try again on Wednesday. Wednesday will be my fifth shave on the Grande and third shave on the current Personna blue. I sure hope the magic happens by then!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

FWIW, I find the RR Jaws one of the best DE shaves out there. As for the Fatip, I just had lots of practice with it. I also mapped my beard (which I'm sure you have as well) and I use short strokes because the longer the stroke, the harder it is to maintain an even pressure on the razor.

And, like Fram says, some razors just don't fit our personal profiles. I would give it 20 shaves. If it's still not going well, no biggy. After several years of doing this thang, I've found that being happy at the end of the shave is most important.

178-bplatoon and maltedmilk like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Whenever I hear anything about the FaTip razor I think about this youtube video where the poor guy ends up bleeding from 3 or 4 places. Ouch...

9. maltedmilk

Article Team
    TIP # 1 - Angle is critical (and possibly more extreme than you might guess!)

OK, I think I saw the light at the end of the FaTip tunnel today. Starting at the top, I held the handle almost perpendicular to my face. It was actually quite smooth... on the planes of my face, anyway. Maneuvering seemed to be a more delicate business than any other DE I've used. All the problem areas present as much higher risk of burn. I managed around the adams apple pretty well, the lip OK, but under the jaw bone held out enough that I grabbed the Schick to finish out the BBS and go to work.

I'll give it another go tomorrow. If I get another major advance on shave #5, I may consider going all the way to #20. Part of me thinks it would be really cool to join the "I tamed the FaTip beast" club. I would enjoy the bragging rights and the t-shirt! On the other hand, I am not yet 100% convinced it is worth the effort.
    Yeppers! 100% agree.

Well, I haven't given up yet! I would sure appreciate any other tips from the FaTip Beast Masters.

Bama Samurai, Boojum1 and Monkeylord like this.
  10. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

I can get good sahves from the Fatip...mind you i get better shaves from the Jaws ,but that one is busted thanks to my SWMBO, which leaves me with the Fatip as my currently only OC.
    Switching to a longer handle helped.

Trying out blades until you hit jackpot also helps (although the second it losses it's sharpness just a bit it starts shredding). Yesterday I got my first excellent shave with a white Gillette Platinum, Bolzano also worked great, Astra SP I loved more than any , but lately I can't get two decent shaves from a blade in any of my razors.

Good lather with nice cushion (a nice tallow soap like Tabac) is a must have for me, but nothing helps until you get the angle down. Once you get the shaving angle right you might just go through the shave smooth and irritation free...until you forget yourself and the mutilation starts over :D

I like the Fatip, it gives a close shave, the best razor for a few days of growth, but demands respect. Although I heard some call it mild and inefficient:eek:

11. maltedmilk

Article Team
    I skipped to the end of his final pass. The blood looked kinda minor. However, I thought his final assessment of BBS on face and DFS on neck was very telling! 2 passes was all the punishment he could endure below the jaw. Yep, that's where I am and why I finish off with the injector.

ARRRGH!:angry032: I want the T-shirt! :angry019:

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

you didn't specificly call me out, but I have had good shaves with the Fatip Grande.
    it's mean, and will bite you at the least lack in concentration, or too much for that matter.
    my best advise for a close shave with the Fatip is to relax and listen to the razor, and no pressure, short strokes (but not choppy).
    I want more from my with the grain and across, if I wash smooth, I'll go against. if I have a lot of grabby stubble,I'll do another pass across the other way. then I should have reduced the stubble to go against.
    it's definitely a mean razor. good luck

maltedmilk and Boojum1 like this.
  13. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I wanted to wait until using my piccolo again before answering.
    What works best for me is to use absolutely no pressure. I basically start the razor in motion and then pull away from the face until the hairs cut and I can barely feel the blade. I don't even feel the teeth on my skin. I felt as if I was consciously hovering the razor above my skin while shaving.
    Doing this allowed my to mow down 4 days of growth with ease and achieve a near BBS shave with no blood. I was able to do 3 passes on my neck which for my sensitive skin was great.
    Even though I've been wet shaving for a few years I'm still learning like most people. I've only used my Fatip a couple times now. The first time was pretty painful. It is definitely a fairly aggressive razor so technique really comes into play.
    Try lightening the pressure to the point you're not even sure you are going to touch your face and experiment on finding an angle that works for.
    Good luck.

Bristle Me and maltedmilk like this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Not surprising angle was the second thing I mentioned. As pressure and angle would go together. Don't over think the FaTip, it's a razor, just like any other.

Bama Samurai and maltedmilk like this.
  15. maltedmilk

Article Team
    This morning was my sixth shave with a FaTip Grande. Yesterday's shave number five was a marked improvement over number four. I worked on keeping the blade-to-face angle very low — rather like the shaving version of a low angle block plane. About half way through I noticed I was applying some pressure in line with the handle's axis. This put pressure on the top of the cap but none on the blade itself. I first noticed this effect >here< (@fram773 was instrumental in helping me understand it. Thanks, fram!) . I do not know that it has a common name among wetshavers, but I called it "skin wave." I made notes for shave number 6.

This morning, shave number 6 was almost "there." I carefully and intentionally applied pressure inline with the handle to create the skin wave. I got a VERY nice BBS on all but the Van Dyke area. I think the lack of success there was due to less surface area for "planting" the razor cap.

I still used my Schick for touchups. However, the touchup areas were fewer and much smaller! The overall shave burned less than the others... and I finished with Pinaud Bay Rum! So, heck yeah, I'm calling that progress! I can now envision bringing the FaTip under control.

Driving home today I noticed my face was still quite smooth for the time of day. The trouble spots were coming back, as usual, but the big areas were outstanding! If I can comfortably get that level of shave to all of my face, the pain will have been worth the effort. Like I said, I am almost there now. Today stung no more than my EJ with a blade I have used just one too many times or perhaps when I've had one of those "Duh!" mornings where I somehow woke up very heavy handed.

The final hurdle is mustache area and both above and below the chin. If you Beast Masters have specific thoughts on that, I would love to hear them. Currently, I am thinking the lightest touch plus the secret angle may be the last piece of the puzzle.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  16. maltedmilk

Article Team
    FaTip shave #7 was another step up. More concentrated "skin wave" effort and special attention to not just the blade-to-skin angle but also the angle of the blade to the direction of travel and I was able to get the FaTip to do all of the touchups! I am still dialing in on the Van Dyke area, which was a little bit burned. I used the Schick injector just once: above the lip because it was feeling a little too sensitive for another pass of The Beast.

So where does that leave me? I won't claim to have tamed The Beast, but after seven shaves, tips from the TSD shaverati, and a little concentrated effort, I think I can safely enter its cage. I will be taking the FaTip to 20 shaves and likely beyond. I think the beast may be picky about blades, but my quest for THE blade has hardly begun.

That said, I will move on in my rotation and continue steps to shave #20 in due course (Maybe a week or so. Could be more if I decide to join "No shave November" already in progress!). I am curious about how quickly I can adjust to the FaTip when it comes back around! Like CyanideMetal, the thing I want to maximize at the end of the shave is my total shaving enjoyment! As of today, I am pretty dang pleased!

Bristle Me and CyanideMetal like this.
  17. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

That's great news!!

Also, I got to thinking about you recently. How many times have we heard others and ourselves have bad experiences with a razor, soap, etc. and shelve it out of frustration only to revisit it later and have a terrific experience? I bet if you give it a temporary rest for whatever reason, when you do pick it back up it's like using a super speed.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Once again I remain among the nonelect. First by the Veg, now by the Tip.

And I feel good about it!

maltedmilk likes this.
  19. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

The Fatip never worked for me either. But the Gillette New? Now that's a razor!

gorgo2 likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Indeed it is. And this morning I discover the cap is missing from mine and I have NO idea where it coulda got to.