Someone identify the "bumps" on my face and the reason for them.

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Discount80, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Discount80

Discount80 New Member

Can someone tell me if the pimple like bumps on my face are ingrown or something else. If you know what it is do you know how to stop them? I have included a pic as well as a zoomed in
    picture
    . image.jpg
    zoom\'.jpg

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I'm no dermatologist, but I can play one on internet shave forums....:p

Here's a shot of classic shave 'razor bumps'("pseudofolliculitis barbae") which look similar to some of the issues you've pictured.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compared with ingrown hairs, which you also may have. These tend to be more pimple-like:
    [​IMG]

Keys:
    • Good hydration prior to shaving. Warm washcloth on the face & mild scrub to soften & 'dislodge' stubborn hair tips
    • Don't shave too close (leave short stubble—not BBS if you are prone to irritation.)
    • Dont shave against the grain (ATG)

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

exfoliation (at least once a week) and witch hazel as your aftershave will also help. However.... best to see a dermatologist.

4. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

You posted a thread like this a year ago and still haven't found out? You can try what the others have suggested. Their advice is spot-on. If it is caused by infections a good aftershave may help. I suggest Pinaud Clubman which can be bought at your local CVS or Walgreens. Alternatively A home remedy that can be used is baking soda it is anti fungal and can also exfoliate (just don't rub too harshly).

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    HolyRollah likes this.
  6. Weishi Warrior

Weishi Warrior Well-Known Member

I dealt with ingrown hairs/red bumps my whole shaving life until I started DE wetshaving. This is what works for me:

I shave every day. One source of ingrown hairs is the hair grows, curls, makes a u-trun, presses on the skin and then grows back into the skin. Shave everyday to keep the whisker from growing and pressing on your skin. The benefit is you get to shave everyday!

Face lather every night before bed! The action of the brush helps lift the whiskers out of the skin. I do this every night as a pre-shave prep for the next morning. I use an inexpensive soap such as VDH deluxe or Clearly Natural. I follow this with a splash of witch hazel.

I Exclusively face lather. Again, the action of the brush lifts whiskers, making them easier to cut at the skin level.

Do not strectch the skin! I flatten certain areas, but never stretch. for me stretching leads to ingrown hairs and red bumps.

Pressure. This is where my opinion vastly differs from the majority and where YMMV! I use pressure. The razor should rest against the skin and be applied so as to cut the whisker, not tug it. It has to be a clean cut. No pressure results in the whisker being pulled and/or tugged. Carts cause ingrown hairs because they are dull, the first blade pulls the hair out, the second cuts the hair, and the whisker then recedes beneath the skin, only to become ingrown. It takes enough pressure so as to cut and not tug.

No south to north passes. 3 passes on the cheeks and 1 on the neck. this works for me. Again, YMMV.

Post shave treatment. Use witch hazel. I can now use splashes daily and balm once a week. Avoid Balms, as they clog pores!

Sharp blades! Again, cut, not pull or tug!

Adjustable razors. I like adjustable razors as they can be opened to allow for cutting. Agressive razors and settings seem to work best. Fits in with my theory of cutting and not tugging.

Soaps and creams. Avoid anything that has lanolin. Use anything that is very, very slick. My issue has never been influenced by scent so I can use just about any fragrance, but stay away from anyting that burns your skin. It might help to use just one for right now. Proraso Sensitive Skin is a slick, non-irritating soap/cream. I use soft soaps, creams, melt and pour soaps, and tallow soaps without any problems. My experience is to cut the hair withour tugging to prevent historesis.

I hope this helps. Again, YMMV. After 29 years of cart shaving I found de shaving and a little over a week thereafter kissed my ingrowns and bumps goodbye!

Please let me know if any of this is helpful to you.

Bristle Me and HolyRollah like this.
  7. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Weishi Warrior likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    These are all good suggestions. Thanks.

Weishi Warrior likes this.
  9. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Only thing I can add to #6 is to use a new DE blade for every shave. Make sure you rinse the razor(blade holder) and pour a little alcohol over the razor's head before you shave.