Wedge or Hollow razor systems

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Drygulch, May 23, 2017.

1. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I know of the Rolls and Darwin systems for shaving, that are essentially a short piece of straight razor on a handle. Are there other brands or examples of this type of razor? Looking for enough information to start another flavor of RAD.

twhite and jimjo1031 like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

It has been a while, but I think Wilkinson had a similar system.

(Edit) I am probably not correct. Boker, maybe?

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  3. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I found a couple of listings of a seven day Wilkinson set that looked similar. No honing system, but should be easy enough to hone up.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Copied these from B&B........

denman
    winner
    brunswick
    zero
    comfort
    griffon
    yankee
    wilbert
    best
    mohican
    anchor flags
    magna
    rex
    bayard
    C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna, Sweden

Jim99 and Drygulch like this.
  6. Bookworm

I'll do some research then, and try to fill out my thread with photos stolen from elsewhere :)

Drygulch likes this.
  7. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Just to clarify, I am looking for information on razors with permanent blades, not ones intended to be used for a little while but still replaced, like the Auto Strop system. Thanks @Bookworm and @jimjo1031, I will start looking for more information on those systems.

8. Bookworm

You're welcome. My thread was on 'systems'. That is, things that have stropping the blade built into the unit itself. The Auto Strop qualifies for that, as a couple of others also do. They're intended that the blades not be completely disposable. Even the Rolls-Razor and Darwin systems had replacement blades available. Auto-Strop was probably at the extreme end of a spectrum, however.

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Adam

I can tell you first hand that these type of razors ROCK. They are just as smooth as a straight. The biggest plus for me is. I can shave my neck at the weird angles.

As for the systems I currently have. The Darwin and Rolls. I had the Allegro setup with the Henkel razor. I sold it. But I do have the Allegro Stropping setup without the razor. I am on the hunt for the razor. Big sellers remorse on that sale.

Of the three I have. My personal experience tells the best of the 3 for maintaining the edge. I must stress the maintaining part. Blade must be shave ready to use the setups. Is the Darwin. It has the longest stroke of the 3. Next is the Rolls. The Rolls does have the advantage of when using the stone. It pushes the blade across the stone.

The Darwin uses 2 strops with compounds pulling the blade. As for the Allegro there are a few different variations. One has 2 stones and a strop. The other is 1 stone and a strop. The blade engagement of the Allegro is very short, requiring many more passes.

The 3 will maintain the blades fine in my opinion.

After this over explained rant. What I am trying to say is "GET THEM ALL"

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BeShaved and Drygulch like this.
  10. Bookworm

"Sneaker-Chew, I choose a-choo!!"

BeShaved, Drygulch and twhite like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Adam, have you found anything yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BeShaved likes this.
  12. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

No, I haven't really been looking though.