Musings on an Unsung Hero: Schick Krona

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dustmite, Mar 25, 2017.

1. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I wanted to resurrect this thread since I used a newly acquired Schick Krona and used it yesterday. I plan on using it again today, and I'll add another post later.

SOTD 10.30.2017

Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Razor: Schick Krona
    Blade: Personna Red (2)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Skin Bracer AS

Another late in the day shave after taking care of grunge chores at the mother's-in-law house. I came home, cracked open a beer and enjoyed a nice shower and shave. Of course, I'm still working through this travel size can of Barbasol... but I opted for my second Schick Krona, a recent acquisition and first-time to use in a shave. While I liked my first Schick Krona (which has a silver TTO knob), I always found it a little "aggressive" and usually ended up with a little bit of blood spilled. This Schick Krona, however, was a pleasure to shave with. This razor didn't draw any blood and left me with a CCS.
    IMG_1550.JPG

Jim99 and Dansco like this.
  2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The metal knob Krona aggressive? That is not my experience; all of them are mild shavers. There's only a degree of mildness indeed, but I wouldn't call any of them even medium aggressive.

YMMV of course! (and there is no absolute scale)

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

PickledNorthern, Dansco and sdguero like this.
  3. sdguero

SOTD 10.31.2017

Shave Cream: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel size can http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/
    Blade: Personna Red (3)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Barbasol Brisk AS

The only way to describe today's shave is SMOOTH.... The Krona, loaded with the Personna, performed well. The Barbasol shave cream continues to provide a slick layer of protection for 2 complete passes and touch-ups. Very satisfied with a close, comfortable shave.

Happy Halloween, everyone!
    IMG_1557.JPG

Jim99 and Dansco like this.
  4. sdguero

Yes, for me. However, in fairness to the razor it could have been my technique and not the razor itself. I have not used that razor for several months. In comparison, this black-knob Krona is great! It's mild, smooth but efficient. I'll have to pull out my first Krona one of these days and try it again. Thanks for the input!

jwr3265, Jim99, Dansco and 1 other person like this.
  5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I've always wondered if the Gillette Black Handle SuperSpeed Flair Tip was produced simply because the Krona sold so well.

[​IMG]

sdguero and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

There is certainly a resemblance when Gillette went with the black handle and left the tip silver.

I know I could look this up easily enough, but did the Krona come out prior to 1968?

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

sdguero and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm not sure of the time line for when the Eversharp Krona came out; with it's gray handle and eagle on the end. I think it was the precursor to Schick Krona due to some buy out.

jwr3265 likes this.
  9. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yup, maybe as much as a decade earlier. But there are other similarities than just color; the black handle SuperSpeed went to lined ridges like the Krona instead of the bumps like the rest of the Flair Tips.

Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  10. sdguero

11. sdguero

SOTD 11.01.2017

Head Shave Only:
    (augmented with Barbasol Soothing Aloe)
    Razor: Schick Krona, metal silver knob
    Blade: Personna (4)
    Post-shave: Dickinson WH, Gillette AS Gel, Gillette Cool Wave AS

I'm letting my beard grow this month so no face shaves... unless the itching gets so bad that I beg my wife to allow me to shave. Nevertheless, I will shave my head occasionally this month.
    Since I've been enjoying my shaves with my latest Schick Krona (the one on the right) I pulled out my first Schick Krona (the one on the left) and loaded with the Personna blade I've been using this week I had a very close, comfortable shave. I did nick my scalp slightly but that was completely my fault. I got careless for a split second... but that's all it takes.
    The Krona on the left came in a Christmas gift box I found at an antique store a year ago. It came in a travel case and with a can of Schick Hot Lather Shave Cream.
    Have a great month everyone!
    IMG_1571.JPG

Jim99 and Linuxguile like this.
  12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Yup. An unsung razor. I do not use in my rotation but I do use 8 or 9 times a year. Based on your reminder I will pull her out this week for a spin. She's a 65 with a nice case and blades..

Jim99 and sdguero like this.
  13. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I recently tried the vintage blades that came with my Krona, and will be very, very sad when they're used up... They work extraordinarily well with the razor! I've been milking the first one for all it's worth, and have 5 shaves on it now. It's still not tugging, so I'll see how far it'll go!

Jim99 and sdguero like this.
  14. sdguero

SOTD 11.20.2017
    Head Shave Only:
    Brush: Omega Synthetic Hi-Brush
    Shave creams: Barbasol Sensitive Skin travel can + CO Bigelow Premium Shave Cream
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-adulterated-barbasol-thread.57857/
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (4)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive Skin Cooling PS Balm, Skin Bracer

This was the last shave for this travel size can of Barbasol Sensitive Skin. You can go to http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...m-travel-can-experiment-sensitive-skin.57755/ for further details.

Excellent shave today with the Krona. I'm very tempted to start shaving my face again because the whiskers are driving me crazy, but I promised my bride I wouldn't (face) shave this month. The things we do for love, right? :angelic013:

Have a great week, everyone! And Happy Thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!
    IMG_1698.JPG

Jim99, MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  15. sdguero

SOTD 11.28.2017
    Head Shave Only:
    Blade: Crystal (4)
    Soap: Proraso White
    Brush: VDH Boar
    Post Shave: Thayer's Lavender WH, Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Pinaud Clubman AS

Not feeling well, so I almost did not shave. In the end, I couldn't resist and now I feel more well than before. It was a CFS and I'm "itching" to start face shaving again on Friday. I love this Schick Krona!
    sotd 11.28.2017.jpg

16. sdguero

SOTD 11.30.2017
    Head Shave Only:
    Pre-shave: Hot shower
    Blade: Crystal (5)
    Shave Cream: Burt's Bees (applied by hand only)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Sensitive PS Balm, Walgreen's AS Cooling
    IMG_1748.JPG

17. sdguero

Some Krona-Love

SOTD 3.24.2018
    Head Shave Only
    Brush: VDH boar
    Soap: VDH Luxury
    Blade: generic "Best Choice" DE (3)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Men Sensitive PS balm, Family Dollar Spice AS
    IMG_2508.JPG

Linuxguile, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got a Schick and an Eversharp tucked away. Won't trade them because dad passed them on to me. Wonder if a Feather or Kai blade would give the more aggressive shave I prefer?

Thanks for the inspiration Dan!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

sdguero likes this.
  19. sdguero

Great question! I don't know. I've not used either blade in the Krona before. I don't have any Kai blades and I only have a few Feathers. I'll look forward to hearing what you find out.

Your razors are family heirlooms. I like that. They not only have a special place in your Shave Den, but also in your heart. :happy088:

RyX likes this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've tried to set my father up with gear, but he prefers his single blade Bic razors. Not sure what kind of lather he's using these days. When he passed the two DE's to me he said he hadn't used them since he hadn't been able to find Wilkinson Sword blades. Gillette must gave bought the name and I did get several tucks. Offered his Krona and some blades to him, but he would't try it. He likes his plastic disposables. So these two will stay in my deep stash. I need to attach a note for my children to find when I'm gone. Heirlooms!

sdguero likes this.