HEAD SHAVER ...

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by SILKS, Jan 20, 2018.

1. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Good day all,
    I really need some help with getting rid of ingrown hairs on the back of my head.... I head shave with a Muhle R89 and Wholly Kaw Bare Naked which provides a great post shave... I also use an alum block and a post shave balm... (Stirling menthol & 5 in 1 aqua velva) I need your help ladies and gentlemen

NO MORE BUMPS HELP PLEASE:duel:

RaZorBurn123, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wish you well. I am sure someone here can give you some sound advice.

3. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Thanks for your vote of confidence sir...

4. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Here's a few good threads on the topic. Based on my own experiences, my top advice...
    • NO ATG. Ever. Even XTG is questionable.
    • Lose the alum. Use Tend Skin or Witch Hazel instead.
    • Use cold water for shaving.
    • Shower After shaving, not before.
    • Use a synthetic brush if you aren't already.
    • Lightly Moisturize right before shaving and possibly before bed as well. I have good luck with Nivea Creme.
    • Try shimming the R89. I've had much better luck with aggressive razors. Less pressure and fewer passes needed.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/razor-bumps.56896/#post-1292712

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...razor-bumps-ingrown-hairs.56430/#post-1272856

Zykris, RyX, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Do you use any kind of scrub/exfoliant on your scalp? My husband uses a mild scrub on his shiny head, when he showers (which is before he shaves) and it seems to help him.

Zykris likes this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

You may want to give a cartridge razor a try? I don't have ingrown hairs so I can't really nail down for you.
    I use either my RazoRock Mamba or Game Changer and I'll use a cartridge razor from time to time.

8. hush

hush Well-Known Member

I shave after a shower. I do shave with hot water and a cool post shave rinse. No pre shave, just lather and blade. Never against the grain, inevitably there will be some on my crown. Occasionally witch hazel afterwards. Definitely try without the alum first. That made the most beneficial difference in irritation and bumps. Use a sharp blade. I go heavy with the lather. Choose a quality soap and build a nice thick layer.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I use a Trac II or Atra 2 blade cart. Whatever soap I have out. Wash my scalp, lather up well which generally takes about 90 seconds. 2 passes - 1 front to back, 1 back to front. Shave it every 2-3 days. After I'm done, I slap on some Old Spice or Ogallala bay rum and then I don't worry about it for a couple of days. If I use a DE, my 2 passes are both front to back.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I head shave. I think this maybe specific to each head shaver. I use an aggressive razor, with a fresh blade frequently , and go against the grain with the 1st pass. I then do a cleanup pass. I get close to bbs like this with no irritation.

Troy M likes this.
  11. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Thanks for all your help sir. So you think going more aggressive will help????? Interesting concept

12. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Yes.... And before i shave... Does he use a certain product???

13. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Thanks... :)

14. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Thanks for the info... Ill give it a try

15. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

So 2 passes and every 3 days ?

Troy M likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Yes, he uses St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

17. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Great,Thanks:)

Sara-s likes this.
  18. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Yes, if I get around to it. Sometimes more days, sometimes less. If I go more than 3 days, generally it takes more than 2 passes. 3 days or less, 2 passes only.

19. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I use a Razorock 37c slant with a Dorco 301 blade just tonight but you might want to start with a Derby first IF you want to try this.
    I cold shave, that stopped the bumps for me.
    I use aloe vera from wallmart for preshave and a good shave soap.
    I find that like to have the lather with a little more water in it than I use for my face because it takes more time and it might get dryer than I like.
    I go front to back for the first pass then go round the head for second pass.
    I am sorta slow at it so not to get bit.
    Then slother on Nivea for the finish.
    I shave the head at night so when I get up in the morning I spash on the witch hazel then shave my face using same routine as above, shower then Nivea again head and face.

I use a Weishi butterfly long handle if I get fly or bug bit and it causes a small bump the slant won't glide over.
    Haven't had any nicks, cuts, burns, or bumps for quite a while.
    Hope this gives you some things to try and help you out.
    Good luck!
    tp

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  20. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Never, ever got ATG! Make sure the lather is nice and thick. Always make sure you relather any area before you touch it up. BTW, are they on the back if your head/upper neck? If so you can try Hibiclens to wash the area. Some should be common sense, but we all need to be reminded from time to time.