Schick Type E injectors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jan 16, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update. I have to add some new razors that are in the Type E family that I have been sitting on the fence about for awhile.

Common accepted view is Type E razors were stopped being produced around the end of 1945 coinciding with the end of WWII and Magazine Repeating Razor company selling the brand to Eversharp.

That is partially true, for American made injectors they did stop production and didn't resume again until around May/June of 1946 with the introduction of the Type G injectors and first models branded as Eversharp on retail level in June of 46. In Canada that is not the case. The Type G's were also rolled out in June of 46 but they had restarted production of the Canadian made Type E's razors specifically the Canadian Type E3 or 6th variant in March or April of 46 and were selling them retail in April of 46 and at least until 1947. The Canadian Type E razors we also know for sure were produced in 46 or later regardless of advert pictures by the springs being branded Eversharp Schick.

We also know now that unique Canadian Type E that has a black handle and/or blue and chrome head made post war between 1946 - 47 is not a one off but a cheaper variant of the Type E3 which also came in the standard onyx colored handle with gold plated razor head as can be seen here.

Standard Canadian Type E3 or 6th variant 46 - 47
    ca46.jpeg

Unique .i.e. black, possibly blue handle Canadian Type E3 or 6th variant 46 - 47.
    cec46.jpeg G1withspring.jpeg

So to summarize American made Type E razors were produced from 1935 - 1945 and Canadian Type E razors from 193x - 1947. Type G and Canadian Type E razors were produced concurrently during at least part of 1946 from June onwards until the Canadian Type E razors were discontinued.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Aztecmike, pj3r and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

very cool..:)

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

On Canadian Type E injectors the 2 models I know of so far are 5th variant Type E2 injectors and 6th variant Type E3 injectors. There maybe more variants but I need to research that out more.

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i think we figured mine to be an e3. 1939 case.

5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The one you posted on this thread is an 5th variant E2. The date I can't say since it doesn't have the case. If you showed me one with a case I think that is how the 1939 date was determined. I'll check the Shick show thread.

brit likes this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

20210107_110436_edited.jpg
    fixed spring, no lines on safety bar....random striations..as they are called..

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    Aztecmike and BBS like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Seems to be 1938 is the earliest year for Canadian Type E razors, whether they made the 4th variant Type E2 in Canada also besides the case and instructions remains to be figured out.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    brit likes this.
  8. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Have this Black Handle coming and know nothing about it and what it is........... @BBS
    s-l1600 (30).jpg s-l1600 (34).jpg s-l1600 (32).jpg

brit and ischiapp like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

All the Type E2 Inectors are Smooth Comb..Canadian or USA Models..:)

Billy..:chores016:

brit, Dave in KY and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. Billyfergie

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree with @Billyfergie on it being a G. But I've never seen one with a black handle. At first, I thought it would be a blue handle G4 (Schick 66). But that would be the darkest blue I've ever seen, but it doesn't have chrome plating. I wonder if that handle was left over from when they were making type E injectors and used for that one. This is a black handle Canadian E3 that I recently got..................

IMG_20210301_233035_4.jpg

brit, Dave in KY and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Billyfergie

There is Black Handled G Types..Some were Dark Blue..They were Not Left Over Handles from the E Types..Some of the Earlier E Type Handles Felt & Looked Distinctively Different in the Hand..The Knowledge is in Owning & Handling Em..I Owned Most of Em..:)

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

And I just noticed his handle has a seam on it.

brit, Dave in KY and Billyfergie like this.
  14. Dave in KY

Thanks Guys. I have a G 66 so when this comes in I can compare. I just don't know all the nuances of these baby's. At least I didn't pay much for it. I knew it was too good to be an elusive to me Black Handle E

brit and Billyfergie like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The Schick 66 was the low cost option to your standard Type G when they were sold. No difference in the shave. You have one of the various colored handle standard Type G razors. The one you have coming in is probably a dark blue handle that either the color has faded or the picture color is off.

Here is the Type G for dummies guide.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-type-g-injectors-for-dummies.63550/

Dave in KY, Billyfergie and brit like this.
  16. Dave in KY

I won't know till it arrives. Seller clearly stated it's black. The one I own is a 66 with the crinkled finish.

brit likes this.
  17. Billyfergie

It Does Look Black to Me..Photos Can be Deceiving Mind..And Sellers..But. Hey..Ya Will Know when Ya Get it..Some of those Crinkled Blue Handle Ones were Route 66 Models & Some Were Not..Some had Gold Crinkle as Well..Some E Types has Gold Crinkle as Well..Not as Many Mind..I Had One.as I Recall..;)

HoosierTrooper, brit and Dave in KY like this.
  18. Dave in KY

Yeah and I have no idea if mine is a 66 but I have been told by others on the forum that it is. Honestly all this technical jargon escapes me as they all shave very similar in my mind if I get the angle correct. Not sure what bbs based saying mine isn't a 66 as I didn't post a pic. I'm really almost sorry I even asked lol

brit and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Aye..I Never Said it Wasnt a 66..All I Said was they Came in Different Packaging..Its the Same Razor..Some were Better Plated than Others is All..Some of the Handles were More Distinctively Bluer than Others as Well..Slightly Different Shades..Probably Different Batches on the Production Line..:)

Dave in KY and brit like this.
  20. Dave in KY

No, BBS did, it's all good. I may have misunderstood :happy088:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Billyfergie and brit like this.