Schick Type G injectors for dummies

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Jan 17, 2020.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The aim of this thread is to categorize the Type G razors in a way that is easier understood for the average collector so as such I will not being using Appleby's designations other than the Type G label to describe them at all. They will be presented in chronological order with the variations that differentiate each from the other. This breakdown only covers US made Type G injectors. There were 2 unique Canadian made versions with black handles that won't be covered here.

Type G razors come in 5 distinct variants. Some variants came with various different handle styles but are the same razor just different handle regardless of the set. Regardless of variant what makes a Schick injector a Type G is that they were the first razors produced by Eversharp after they took over the Schick brand from Magazine Repeater Company in 1946. The distinguishing feature of all Type G razors is they feature 2 patent numbers on the razor handle 1806087 and 1969945.

The first variant was produced in 1946/1947. It is distinguished by the fact it has a squared ferrule and the spring says Schick Injector on it. The razor was only produced in an ivory / cream colored handle style.
    G1a1.jpg

The second variant was produced in a special Christmas set for 1946 and 1947. It is distinguished by the fact the ferrule is rounded, the handle is the only one made of metal and the razor was completely plated in 14k gold.
    g2.jpg

The third variant was produced between 1947/48 and 1952. It is distinguished by the fact the ferrule is squared and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. This razor came in various handle styles.
    Style 1 - ivory / cream colored handle
    g1b.jpg

Style 2 - gold plated handle produced only in a special Christmas set in 1948 and 1949
    g3.jpg

Style 3 - Chrome head and navy blue handle. Only sold in a set called the Schick 66 between 1948 - 1951
    g4.jpg

Style 4 - gold head and navy blue handle.
    g4a.jpg

Style 5 - turquoise colored handle
    g5.jpg

Style 6 - amber colored handle
    g6.jpg

The 4th variant was produced in 1953 and 1954. It is distinguished by the fact it has a circular ferrule and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. The razor was produced in an ivory / cream and possibly other colored handle styles.
    g1c1.jpg

The 5th and final variant was produced between 1954 - 1957. It is distinguished by the fact it has a circular ferrule and the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. The handle style changes to a ribbed design and was only produced in an ivory / cream color.
    G8a.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    CarlfromMO, Droo78, EDC and 3 others like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I wasn't originally going to go into these but since I have pics might as well document them here.

Besides the American versions there were 2 unique Canadian versions of the Type G that weren't produced elsewhere. What makes them unique is their black handles.

First one besides the black handle it has the old Type E style spring. It was definitely produced 1946/47 or later since the spring says Eversharp Schick on it. If we use the delineation point of 1946 when the American razors switch to the Type G style it also correlates to the change in ownership to Eversharp so this razor as such should be classified as a Type G.
    G1withspring.jpg

Second one has the standard Type G style spring and black handle.
    G1nospring.jpg

CarlfromMO and brit like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Also a note on the Schick 66 sets since they tend to be popular with collectors. They were sold between 1948 and 1951 and were the lower priced option set to the standard sets called Deluxe sets. Besides the packaging and amount of blades offered being different, they had the same razors except the 66 only came with a chrome plated razor and blue handle while the Deluxe sets had the gold plated razor heads with various color handles.

schick66.jpg

Here is an example of an incorrect set, you'll find plenty like these on your favorite auction site.
    schick66wrong.jpg

Here is an example of a correct set. It has the chrome plated razor head and blue handle.
    schick66correct.jpg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    CarlfromMO and Droo78 like this.
  5. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

I wonder if there is any difference regarding aggressiveness with the G types? Has anyone tried them all and can comment?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

3 shave types.

1st variant Type G aka as long as the spring says Schick Injector is the least mild of the bunch. These would also be known as G1 razors.

3rd and 4th variants regardless of razor head or handle style, the springs will all have Eversharp Schick on them are all the same and less mild than the 5th variant. These are also known as G1, G3, G4, G5 and G6 razors. Though not designated the gold plated razor head with navy blue handle should technically be called a G7 for completeness sake using that naming convention.

5th variant with the ribbed handle also known as a G8 is the most mild of the Type G razors.

I've never had a 2nd variant version which is also known as a G2 so I don't know where it fits in with the rest of the Type G razors.

If you are collecting razors to have the different styles that is 11 razors to buy. If for usage then 3 maybe 4 razors covers all the different types of shaves they can do when loaded with the same blade.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Leo K. likes this.
  7. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

Thank you very much! This is immensely helpful!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro