2019 Travelling Box Tour Round Three

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by stingraysrock, Sep 11, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, and I actually have a slight irritation that lasts after the shave.

Enrico likes this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Additional takes(since @Enrico reminded me of the rules):)

99A68412-4A15-41F1-A030-2F4DBCABD4BA.jpeg

RyX and Enrico like this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

USPS# 9505510254669361190339

Box is on the way to @Joewa

kjbarth, MrEE, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Oh wow! We are nearly to the end, and another beginning!

2020 Box here we come!

Thank You All! Happy New Year!

kjbarth, RyX, Paul Turner and 2 others like this.
  5. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Fort Joe to base, The box has landed..

RyX, kjbarth and MR41 like this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

7. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

The boxes density may have reached critical mass .. any more and it will collapse upon its self becoming a super nova or a black hole.

RyX, kjbarth, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

So @Joewa, we need some pics of how you're enjoying the box.

:eatdrink047:

RyX likes this.
  9. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I enjoyed my time with the box .. that being said after 3 rounds I am ready to disqualify myself from the next one by giving far more then I am taking

The Take

IMG_5645.JPG

A generous dollop of the dew..
    The EverReady 100
    Persona Injector
    Pal SE blades, Persona Reds
    The Victorinox Floral (sheepsfoot) and clauss sheep foot (both very nicely sharpened)

The Give..

IMG_5648.JPG
    A new Lid for the 2020 tour.. it may be slightly too large 12.125 inches feel free to trim it if needed.
    Blades: Voshkhod, Polsilver , Iridium Supers, Gillette Wilkinson Sword (Indian)
    RazoRock HAWK Single Edge Razor (sorry I don't have any spare ac blades),
    Phoenix Starling V2 SE razor
    Fine Superlight Slant Razor
    Gillette NDC new ballend
    Reef Point Soaps Dragons Blood Blam (wanted to like but almond oil is kryptonite)
    Zoologist Civet EDP sample
    block of alum
    Restored Omega brush (from round 2)
    USB thumb drive full of Old Time Radio plays (hear Richard Diamond tell you about going stag.. by using REXxall shaving products)
    Great Eastern Cutlery: #61 - Tidioute - Congress (horn)

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Very nice give. I hate to see you go. Come on back if it suits you:)

11. S Barnhardt

S Barnhardt Old, Crusty Barn

Have a question to toss out on this traveling box thing.

It seems most folks have a great time participating in this. I understand the concept of how it works in that you receive the box, go through, use and/or take something/s, and put something of your's in and send the box on its way. It sounds like fun. But, and here lies my question, it seems everyone participating has a large inventory of things in their den so that there are a lot of things they can send along. Does anyone who hasn't amassed a largish inventory ever participate? If they do, how do they usually go about being fair to the others in what they put back into the box? Do they go out and buy things, or otherwise?

MrEE and RyX like this.
  12. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I have a lot of stuff in my den but sometimes I have trouble letting go so I've purchased things to put in the box if I can't let go of my stash.

Oftentimes while shopping for shave gear I buy multiples of sale items with the express intent of giving (Traveling Box, TSD Raffles, PIF's, etc).

The other thing I've done is added sample sizes to the box from full size items (creams, soaps, aftershaves) that I have. Samplers are fun because you can try lots of different things.

RyX, S Barnhardt and Enrico like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

First I'll say :signs011:

Next I'd say this box is really designed to help members that don't have a lot. A general rule is to take more than you give ( though I break that rule quite often ;) ). For new shavers or those that don't have a lot to give; Target Walmart and even Krogers has nice travel barbasol, Williams puck, styptic pencils. What people add isn't always shave related .... pocket knives, cigar cutters, pipe cleaning tools, and Zippos ....... it's all good.

Quite honestly I just enjoy sharing, so feel free to join us.

:eatdrink013:

RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  14. S Barnhardt

Nice to see another woodcarver on here! I see you like "Flexcut." Good tools.. Can't read the lettering on the others, but some of them "look like" Stubai. ?? Woodcarving is another hobby where a person can tie up a good amount of cash!

RyX likes this.
  15. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

From what I saw in my one round, different people participate for different reasons. I got some really great stuff and I wanted to pay that forward to the guys down the line, so I put items in the box I knew people wanted. I also added some personal favorites I wanted to share.

I don't think the "take more than you give" rule says you can take all the nice razors and brushes and fill the box back up with dollar store razors and half used samples, but it is okay for the balance of gives and takes to be a little lopsided here and there. Treat it like a PIF and add value in whatever way you can when you can, even if your collection is small.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Joewa, RyX, S Barnhardt and 2 others like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great takes and excellent gives!

Enjoy the Personna injector and the knives. I have too many pocket knives and thought they needed a new home. The knife you added looks like a Buck or a Schrade. :happy088:

:eatdrink013:

RyX and S Barnhardt like this.
  17. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

I am a carver not a turner :)

Knifes which are what i mostly use are a mix of Northbay forge (wonderful knifes cannot recommend them enough), and Mora Kniv (very affordable and very good)
    My gouges are mostly pfeil I do not use them as much as i should for fear of "how the hell do i sharpen this" .. If I ever get enough time off work I hope to take a class (not to learn wood carving but to have a set tools to mess up while I figure out to sharpen)
    My straight chisels are narex

I have posted some of the brushes I have made here. its always interesting to see what emerges from the wood.
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/the-i-v-collection.60588/

S Barnhardt and RyX like this.
  18. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Great Eastern Cutlery actually.. thought about throwing a buck in :)

S Barnhardt, RyX and Enrico like this.
  19. S Barnhardt

Here is a tool I've found works pretty good on my small gouges, v-tools, etc. Shapes on one side, flat leather strop on the other. I'm including a link to Amazon for this, but this is, or sure used to be, a frequent flyer on/in a lot of places selling woodworking and woodcarving supplies.

Slipstrop on Amazon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. MrEE

MrEE Half Naked Shave Stalker

@Enrico, when you finish your project razor send it to me and I will plate it for you.

kjbarth, S Barnhardt and Enrico like this.