Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Bill, but there was really no way I can compete with your witticisms and catchy cultural references. After this sheltering stuff finishes, we should get together, talk shaving and go for a spin in my TR6. Just took it out of storage this past Saturday.

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  2. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

We will do that!

GAW9576 and jgreenepa like this.
  3. jgreenepa

A4C33873-FE48-4A81-B536-92A2C0D1BAE5.jpeg
    SOTD Tuesday, 04/14/2020

My third shave with the Brass TAR included some changes. I dialed it up to 5 for the first WTG pass face shave and swapped out the Suneko for a new blade. I never shave more than twice with any DE blade. I still did the dome at 3, which seems to be the maximum exposure I can handle for the noggin. I just received a 26mm Super High Density Two Band Badger Fan knot from Maggards and mounted it on one of my two empty ferrules for the Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute brush. For my soap I selected Declaration Grooming’s Sellout which is one of their milk steak base soaps that I really enjoy. Even this olfactory idiot can recognize the strong citrus notes in the soap, so I decided to pair it with Old Spice Fresh Lime AS Splash.

After soaking the new knot during the shower, I began my shave with my usual cold water rinse. The new knot generated a beautiful thick, yogurty lather from the soap, presalted with the usual 6 drops of M-Bomb. I find that I have much more control of my face shave than I do with the head shave. 5 on the TAR worked well for the face shave, but to avoid set-down errors on the back of the dome, I dialed down to a much more manageable 3 for the noggin scrape. In any case the TAR mowed my whiskers right down to the skin line on bothe face and dome, except for the usual problem areas in that first WTG pass. One thing I will note is the wonderful post pass skin feel provided by this milk steak soap base. After lathering up again, the second and final ATG pass consisted of little more than clean-up of the problem areas with the TAR, which remained at 3 for both passes.

5 is definitely close to the limit for my face shave. The alum picked up some heat around the Adam’s Apple, but remained cool for the head shave assessment. All in all, another great shave with the brass TAR. I finished the shave with a cold water wash of both face and noggin with the milk steak brush squeezings. Great stuff! The Thayers WH felt great and followed the cold water wash. Old Spice Fresh Lime completed a spectacular TAR DFS++ shave. Sensitivity around the front of my throat prevented achieving a full BBS, but there are no complaints from yours truly. Still another great shave from the TAR. I feel clean, smooth, cool, refreshed, and more than ready for my first sustained outing in the TR6 this morning. Take care and stay safe and healthy out there!

RAZOR: Brass TAR (5,3)
    BLADE: Suneko
    PREP: Cold water rinse
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute Brush w/ 26mm Super Dense 2 Band Badger Knot
    SOAP: Declaration Grooming Sellout (Milk Steak Base)
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers WH and finished with Old Spice Fresh Lime AS Splash

ischiapp, Jayaruh, Enrico and 5 others like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Another great write up for the fantastic TAR!

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and jgreenepa like this.
  5. jgreenepa

Thanks, Jim! I really like the razor! I think there could be a lot of interest in an OC adjustable razor out there!

6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’m camped out here and just waiting in line.
    :)

7. jgreenepa

8D68D26B-8914-4F32-AAB1-8A3DF5CA4065.jpeg
    SOTD Wednesday, 04/15/2020

Well today marked my first shave with the aluminum TAR. It was a less-than-illuminating experience. I have never been a fan of light razors, because they make it difficult to maintain ‘negative pressure’ for me. However, after three shaves with the brass version, which worked beautifully for me from the first shave, this shave was somewhat acceptable and bloodless. I shaved my face with the razor wide open at 6 and my dome at 4. My major complaint was that I had to concentrate on managing my tremors while also focusing on shave technique, and consequently did not end up with the level of closeness that I seek in a shave. Now don’t get me wrong, many would be happy with a good CCS. It just doesn’t ring my chimes.

The shave began with a cold water rinse. I selected Palmolive shave cream for today’s shave. The Alpha Shaving Brush with its super dense 26mm Two Band Badger again generated a thick, yogurty lather. I really like the feel of this brush on both face and dome. The first WTG pass with the Aluminum TAR didn’t clear away the whiskers like the brass version, even wide open. I also noticed that the razor didn’t feel as slippery as the brass version. Whether this is an artifact of the guncote coating, or simply reflects my attempt to balance shave technique and avoid positive pressure with this light version is open for discussion. In any case, two and a half passes later at 4 (XTG, ATG, ATG) and I was still left with numerous rough areas, some in places I normally have no problem with.

In conclusion, I’m hoping that my shaves will improve with this aluminum version. Out of frustration, an hour later, I lathered up a fifth time and tried my new SS Hawk V3, which arrived yesterday from Italian Barber. I loaded up a Feather Super blade, and you guessed it, buffed away all the roughness till I had my BBS. The new SS Hawk V3 has a slimmer head than my aluminum Hawk V2, and works much better for me. A quick application of Cremo Post Shave Cooling Balm sealed the deal! We’ll see how the aluminum TAR performs tomorrow, but now, in addition to feeling clean and refreshed, I now feel smooooth!

RAZOR: Aluminum TAR (6,4)
    BLADE: Suneko(1)
    PREP: Cold water rinse
    BRUSH: Alpha Shaving T-400 Tribute with 26mm Super Dense Two Band Badger Knot
    CREAM: Palmolive Shave Cream
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with Glyce Glycerin soap followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Fresh Vetiver AS Splash

8. Edison Carter

Great shaves, great write-ups.

I don't believe that you are playing 'second fiddle' to anyone my friend!

jgreenepa and GAW9576 like this.
  9. jgreenepa

Thanks, Bill!

Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  10. jgreenepa

A4F3C115-7332-41B9-BA35-5A478D1ABAAB.jpeg
    This is my last shave with the Aluminum TAR. My shave today - 48 hrs after my first shave - was designed to see if longer whiskers would have any impact on the utility of this razor for me. The answer is no, even with a fresh Suneko blade, and even with my stalwart, MWF. I even fell back on PAA’s Preshave Soap. It’s clear to me that heavy razors are my preferred shaving tool.

The shave itself, after the first two passes (WTG, XTG) set on 6 and 4, was not going the way I like. So I removed the blade from the aluminum TAR and installed it into the brass model set on 4. What a difference! I realize Tom will never be producing these razors, but I would buy this brass model if it were available in a second! That third ATG pass did the trick. It sheared right through my whiskers, and left me with my desired BBS.

I understand how some of my predecessors on this pass around liked the aluminum model. My preference is clearly the brass model due to its weight. In fact, if I owned it, I know it would become my preferred adjustable. I really like the open comb head design and it’s weight which make shaving with it for me a joy! Not having to think about my tremors makes this razor a winner for me.

RAZOR: Aluminum TAR (passes 1&2) Brass TAR (pass 3)
    BLADE: Suneko(1)
    PREP: Cold water rinse followed by PAA’s Preshave Cube Soap
    SOAP: Mitchell’s Wool Fat
    POSTSHAVE: Cold water wash with brush squeezings followed by Thayers Lavender WH and finished with Fine Accoutrements Snake Bite AS Splash followed by Cremo Cooling Post Shave Balm

ischiapp, Jim99, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  11. jgreenepa

I’ll be dropping the razors off at the Post Office tomorrow. Cleaned and disinfected them today. My seven days are up. They are off to Ryan (@PLANofMAN) tomorrow morning. I’ll be sending them Priority so he should have them by the middle of next week, hopefully at the latest.

PLANofMAN, Edison Carter and GAW9576 like this.
  12. jgreenepa

Razors are in the mail on the way to Ryan @PLANofMAN .
    Sent it 2 Day Priority Mail. Tracking # 9505 5146 9321 0109 3225 31

Thank you, Tom, for including me in the pass around! I really enjoyed shaving with the razors, particularly the brass TAR.

Jim99, PLANofMAN and GAW9576 like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Jim99, Jayaruh, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looks like we are half way through the list.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The TARs have landed. Other than a bent tooth on the brass TAR, they seemed to have survived the trip. After checking for a crack or other sign of metal fatigue, I bent it back using the field expedient of a screwdriver.

The surgery was successful.

First shave report and thoughts tomorrow morning. Stay tuned.

Jim99, GAW9576, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Disclaimer: I've really tried to avoid reading other reviews in this thread so I could come at this as un-influenced as possible. So if I mention something that the last 5 people have ALSO mentioned, that's why.

Spent some time examining both razors. They both feel good in the hand. The most unusual aspect is the handles. There just are not many fat (aka 'fluffy') handled DE razors out there. The Berkeley Custom Shaver and the Stahly are the only other two that immediately come to mind. It's been a load of fun watching Tom develop razor designs over the years, and I'm excited to be trying one for the first time.

Both adjust smoothly, with the edge going to the brass model, presumably due to the self lubricating nature of brass. The springs in both razors are starting to look a bit gnarly. No idea if it's corrosion, shave soap, or electrolysis. A fun idea to try would be to replace the spring with washer style neodium magnets set with reverse polarity. Floating head indeed. The blades fit very snuggly, but not too tight or too loose. Could be potential fitment issues with other brands of blades.

Blade centered smoothly and securely.
    Blades used are Astra SP's. Hand stropped but otherwise unused.
    Shaving cream is Kiss my Face Lime.
    Brush is Wolf Whiskers with Shavemac D01 two band badger knot.
    Aftershave is Cologne Russe by Barrister & Mann
    Razors are of course, the TARs.

My initial reaction is a profound sense of disappointment. I had such high expectations for these razors. :(

I am terribly disappointed that I only get 7 days to use them. :p

I dialed them down to 1, as I prefer to start low and work my way up. Less bleeding that way too, I've noticed. I did half my neck with the brass TAR, and was pleased by the comfort and closeness of the shave.

It's the closest single pass I've ever had from any razor. And you can quote me on that.

I did the other half of my neck with the aluminum TAR. The results were not nearly as satisfying, and I switched back to the Brass version for the rest of the shave. The only spots I had to touch up were in the Alumi-TAR covered area.

The low profile of the Top Cap gives the razor more maneuverability than would otherwise be assumed. The razor head also holds heat better than any razor I've used, which gave a rather 'spa' like feel to the shave.

Looking forward to day two and setting two, tomorrow.

ischiapp, Jim99, hins2jw0 and 3 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

R
    Ryan

Great insight. We need to talk about the magnets. Great idea.

Tom

Jim99, GAW9576, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Ryan
    Love your post. I understand your disappointment. I'm glad you got a chance to try them out. I was disappointed that I could only shave once a day.

Jim99, hins2jw0, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Nice review Ryan.

I shared your disappointment.

Bill

20. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

@PLANofMAN this is an interesting idea.
    I used to Vape. One of the Mods (battery units) that I had used a magnetic switch similar to what you are describing. It was awesome after I upgraded the magnets and very smooth.

PLANofMAN and Edison Carter like this.