Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Someone made a box for them, but didn't make it small flat rate box friendly. They fit well enough in separate pieces, and I figured it would save everybody some money. Please include the wood box when you send it on. :)

Edison Carter and hins2jw0 like this.
  2. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Of course buddy, no worries.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. hins2jw0

Saturday May 2nd SOTN

Pretty tired tonight and wanted to focus on one razor tonight... The beauty of the black Alumi-TAR called to me tonight so off I went (don't worry, Brass-TAR will be back tomorrow ).

I performed my traditional 3 pass shave after showering and applying preshave Cube soap - first at 5, then at 4, and a final ATG pass / touch-up at 3. I did feel some of the usual minimal harshness that my skin seems to feel with aluminum razors but nothing too crazy. I may have needed just a little extra buffing that probably resulted in just minimal irritation under the chin and along my normal neck trouble spot but nothing crazy - definitely no weepers. Nothing that the alum, Cucumber Thayer's, and Barbasol Brisk couldn't easily manage.

TBF, some of my skin irritation may also be work related thanks to COVID-19 as it forces me to wear a mask all day at the ER . I can't say that my face is enjoying that... But it's worth the sacrifice to keep my family safe.

I'm eager to see if Brass-TAR slays Alumi-TAR during the battle tomorrow... Time will tell. Goodnight all.

Josh [​IMG]

ischiapp, PLANofMAN, BigD and 7 others like this.
  4. Venkat

Venkat Well-Known Member

Wow! Looks very nice!!

Jayaruh and GAW9576 like this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Great review, Josh! Thank you for your service to the Covid infected! My son is a paramedic and former Navy Medic. He is currently infected and quite ill. Be safe! I’ll pray for your health and safety.

6. hins2jw0

I'm sorry about your son... I'll absolutely be praying for him. I'm a USAF veteran. Thankfully, our area hasn't been been hit quite as hard as some areas, but it's a risk for all of us. Prayers for everyone.

7. hins2jw0

Sunday May 3rd SOTN

Mmm, a slow and relaxing Brass-TAR shave tonight was needed after my very busy ER shift today. When searching through my soaps and pondering the right scent, Tabac seemed to call to me. It provided creamy lather as usual thanks to my Simpson Trafalgar T3. I went with my usual 3 passes and touch up. First pass at 4, second at 3, third ATG at 2. Overall definitely smoother than yesterday's Alumi-TAR shave - especially at higher levels of aggression. I don't know how someone shaved wide open ... I think I'd take off a fairly thick layer of skin in doing so (with my beard roots to boot! Lol, j/k!). There was minimal irritation on my one cheek, but no weepers and thankfully no deeper gouges. I definitely need to take my time though. One could do some serious damage with this guy fairly easily if not paying attention... but that's part of the fun! The Brass-TAR could become quite the weapon if it fell into the wrong hands!! Just think if 007 had one...

Again to be fair, I seriously think the slight irritation is most likely related to having to wear a mask all the time . I have a couple well deserved days off coming up thankfully... Maybe my face will heal a little. Anyway... I'm overall pretty smooth and smell great for when my wife gets home .

I'm already pondering tomorrow's shaving experience... Maybe the Alumi-TAR with the Brass-TAR top cap?? I guess we shall see...

Josh IMG_20200503_230837.jpg

PLANofMAN, BigD, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Great write up! I tried the brass TAR briefly at 6. I was very cautious and used the lightest touch I could. Was I frightened? Me? Never!
    :scared007:

9. hins2jw0

Monday May 4th SOTN

A very interesting TAR combo shave tonight. I couldn't help it... I had to give it a run, and to be honest, it went pretty well. I definitely geeky that the razor was pretty well balanced, definitely markedly lighter than the Brass-TAR but smoother than the Alumi-TAR. When assembled and tightened down, the knob starts at 6. So even though my passes were at 4.5, 3.5, and 2.5, I guess in reality, they were 1 above normal. I ran through my normal three passes and had an overall pretty comfy shave. Each subsequent pass was slightly smoother than the previous. My one little mishap was toward the beginning of my second pass and I nipped my lower lip. Oh baby was that a bleeder .

Otherwise, the shave went very well. My face and neck were not overly sensitive tonight. The alum feedback was pretty normal followed by only a slight twinge by the after shave. I know I'm going to miss these guys, but I have a couple more shaves coming up... Then on to the next guy on the list to enjoy. Happy shaves all.

Josh IMG_20200505_001148.jpg

ischiapp, PLANofMAN, BigD and 5 others like this.
  10. hins2jw0

Cinco DE Mayo SOTN - TAR style!

A pretty smooth Brass-TAR shave on Cinco de Mayo tonight after having steak tacos and a for dinner...

3 passes - 1st at 3.5, 2nd at 2.75, 3rd / touch-up at 2... Yes I know that was very specific . Pretty smooth and comfortable overall, definitely no weepers tonight but I took my time and didn't allow myself to get carried away with the hefty Brass-TAR leading the way. I'm feeling DFS+ for bed and smell great to boot.

I hope everyone enjoyed their days today despite COVID-19 and quarantine. Night everyone.

Josh IMG_20200505_235615.jpg

ischiapp, PLANofMAN, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  11. hins2jw0

@GAW9576,

Please reach out via PM with your address so I can get these beauties on your way in the next couple days. I tried to send one to you and it wouldn't go through. Is your mailbox full? Thanks buddy!

Josh

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  12. GAW9576

GAW9576 Well-Known Member

Thanks
    PM sent. That's odd that you couldn't send me a PM. I don't have alot archived and didn't have any unread messages.

hins2jw0 likes this.
  13. hins2jw0

Late posting - May 6th SOTN

For my planned last TAR shave, I went with the combo - TAR again.

Three passes resulted in DFS+. I went with 4, then 3, then 2 which with this cap, the setting starts at 6 not 1 lol. I felt pretty good after touch - up and left it at that.

My overall impressions of both razors are very positive. I love the overall design of both and their "infinite" adjustability. I probably like the black color of the Alumi-TAR a little better (who doesn't love black?? ). If you've read my other thoughts, I think the Brass-TAR works well but is a little heavy for me personally. I also think that the Alumi-TAR is a little light and the top cap can be a little rougher for me - but YMMV. Most aluminum razors seem to bother my skin... They just "feel" a little rougher overall . I think combining the brass cap to the Alumi-TAR kind of adds a little heft and balance, but also makes the shave a smidge smoother for me. Kind of the best of both worlds if you will - for my beard anyway.

Tom, it's been a pleasure trying out these guys. I'm sure everyone else will agree and enjoy them. Thanks for the opportunity to try them out and provide some humble feedback. I'll get them on the road to @GAW9576 so that he can give them a go. Cheers!

Josh IMG_20200506_231647.jpg

ischiapp, BigD, Jayaruh and 4 others like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Another happy customer!
    :happy036:

15. GAW9576

The razors are in transit arriving late. I'm really looking forward to using these beautiful razors.

Jayaruh and twhite like this.
  16. GAW9576

Quick update then I need to get back to some home projects. The TARs have landed. Not much time to check them out thoroughly right now but initial reaction is WOW.
    I will shave with at least one tonight and report back.

[​IMG]

ischiapp, Edison Carter, BigD and 4 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

brit, GAW9576 and Jayaruh like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You are in for some fine shaves. Enjoy the TARs.

brit and twhite like this.
  19. GAW9576

[​IMG]

For my first shave with a TAR I picked the Brass Beauty loaded with a Blue Bird blade. These were and KAIs were the only blades I used for about 10 years so a good choice for me to try in a new razor.

This razor is amazing. It's a Heafty Well built tool. I've used some heafty tools in the past. Here are two pictures of me using one such tool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's a Hilti electric Jack hammer. Here's what the Hilti website says about it.

"TE 3000-AVR DEMOLITION HAMMER
    Exceptionally powerful Hex 28 demolition hammer for heavy-duty concrete floor demolition
    • Working direction: Floor
    • Tool chuck type: HEX 28
    • Weight according EPTA-Procedure 01/2003: 65.9 lb."
    I used that 65.9 pound jackhammer for several Hrs breaking an opening in that wall.
    So when I say the TAR is a heafty well built tool don't take it lightly. But it's not just a hefty well built tool. It's a work of art. A very functional work of art that is exquisite and exeptionaly enjoyable to use.

ischiapp, Jayaruh, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  20. GAW9576

I forgot to mention but I started the shave at 3, then dialed it up to 6 for the rest of the shave. Still smooth. Then at the end of the shave I dialed past 6 around to 6 so that would be 12 and got a few stubborn spots. I think the blade gap at 6 is so big anything past that doesn't really change the shave.