Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

@Billy
    if no reply send to @dmshaver we can always backtrack on the order.

GAW9576 likes this.
  2. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Good idea - @dmshaver please PM me your mailing address. If I don’t hear from @RyX but have your address before mid-afternoon I’ll send the TARs off to you this afternoon. :happy088:

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

GAW9576 likes this.
  4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

If no reply from them. Send them to @Jayaruh

GAW9576 and Karl G like this.
  5. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I've been out-of-touch with everyone at least a month, probably longer. I've had some health issues & a recent surgery. Good news is I'm back & ready to shave. I've sent a PM to @Karl G with my address. Looking forward to checking out this masterpiece!

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Welcome back. Glad you are doing ok

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Karl G and GAW9576 like this.
  8. dmshaver

Thank you, it’s good to be back!

Karl G and GAW9576 like this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Glad you're back in the saddle!

You are gonna love these razors.
    Bill

10. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Use the TARs and you’ll feel better in the morning.

11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  12. dmshaver

No, it's not arrived yet. I just checked the mail today & it's not here. Hopefully tomorrow.

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

The TARs were sent on Monday and tracking is showing delivery was made today. Hopefully you haven’t shaved yet! :)

Edison Carter, GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  14. dmshaver

The Eagle has landed. The TARS arrived today. Unfortunately, I've already shaved. I'm trying to find the button I can push that makes my hair grow faster. If I find it, I'll shave tonight. Worst case, I'll shave tomorrow!

15. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You’re in for a real treat. Be prepared to be impressed.

16. dmshaver

I must comment first of all, on the craftsmanship. First rate sir! Well done, opening up & looking at these creations was a visual feast.

I used the brass version first. The first thing that struck me was the size of the handle & the overall weight. I haven't used a razor with that diameter of a handle before, & I haven't used a razor that heavy before. But so what, let's see how it shaves!

On deck with the razor tonight is a fresh Nacet, DG Bandwagon, & a Mondial boar brush.

My approach to adjustable razors is a bit different than most. I use the least efficient setting for the first pass & set the razor on a higher setting with each subsequent pass. So for this first outing, I used 1 for the first pass, 3 for the second, & 5 for the third pass. I do that because as the hair is reduced, my thought is that subsequent passes need to be more efficient, not less efficient, to remove as much hair possible with the pass.

Pass 1 I quickly realize the weight is well balanced. The razor doesn't feel like a monster in my hands. The 1 setting provides beard reduction with a decent amount of feedback. I also realize early on the weight of the head causes my grip on the handle to not be able to hold the razor as I usually do. The razor handle slides in my hand until I am holding the razor directly under the head. I adjust my grip & have my pinkie under the dial to support the handle. I like the feel of brass in my hand, this razor is quite pleasant to hold & use. This seems blade forward to me, so I feel the blade more than I expected to on a 1 setting. This is an efficient razor, even on setting #1.

Pass #2 on setting 3, there is more blade feel, but it's comfortable to get the remaining beard further mowed down. The handle continues to slide down (or is it slide up?). I'm more aware of the possibility of losing some skin &/or blood with this razor as I start around my mouth & chin. My Adams apple trembles with the idea of this instrument going over it at a 3. Wait till pass 3 when it's dialed up to 5! I've got a very nice shave at the end of 2 passes. But I want to see what it's like on 5, so on to pass #3.

This baby sings at 5! Boy, I can feel the blade now baby! I'm careful to navigate my face on this third pass. I wonder what it's like on 7, or 9. 7, 8, or 9, oh my! But I can say after 3 passes I have a DFS. I'm quite happy with how this performed. It's not a nimble, blade neutral design, I needed to pay attention with each stroke. But it is very good at what it's designed to do: shave smoothly & efficiently in an adjustable format.

Well done sir!
    IMG_2914.jpg

ischiapp, Ron R, Boojum1 and 8 others like this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Nice read. It was very enjoyable watching you shave in my mind.

PLANofMAN, Karl G, GAW9576 and 3 others like this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I like that statement. I never thought of that. But I see the shave in my mind also. Especially when written well.

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Nice write up and very informative! You will like them even more on shaves 2, 3, and 4.

20. dmshaver

I'll get my writeup done tomorrow. I wanted you to know the TARS is being used & well cared for. @twhite, please PM me your address & I'll get it packaged & shipped back to you sir.