Another creation

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by twhite, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    GAW9576, Edison Carter and kjbarth like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The TARs have arrived safely in The Great Garden State! These babies are beautiful! A true work of art! Weight wise, they’re like night and day. The brass TAR is a true heavyweight, while the aluminum TAR feels as light as a feather in comparison. Fit and finish appear top notch in both razors. These razors are big, but seem like they’ll be maneuverable enough for me. Take a look at the photo with the TARs next to my fatboy and Merkur 34C for a comparison.

I’m going to start with the alumi-TAR for tomorrow’s shave. I’ll probably go with a Personna lab blue for the first shave.

Results and impressions to come.
    B8FC8AB9-96CA-4AB7-9F14-1B52836DB9B7.jpeg A3B18A96-C027-41DB-B8C5-7820FAD4191A.jpeg EC002121-95B0-40C2-8FF8-A6D64BBAE3ED.jpeg 2137CC0D-B914-474B-9A09-CBD98293D80E.jpeg

3. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Can’t wait for the all the gory details of your first shave. I am on pins and needles.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Me, too. The ALUMI-TAR should be easy-peasy.

5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I am very interested in seeing what the preferred version is. Also any improvements that people see that can be made.

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Also I want to add. If you think you need a bit more time to evaluate the razors. That is fine by me. 7 days is not set in stone. Conversely if you don’t need that long because you hate them send them along sooner. Just have fun and please be totally honest in your reviews. That is the only way I can improve stuff.

GAW9576, kjbarth, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I’ll be sure to post my honest feedback. Like with any new to me razor, my thoughts on it will change over the week.

This should be fun!

8. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I'm late here but that' s some nice work Tom!

GAW9576 and twhite like this.
  9. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

First shave with the alumi-TAR went great!

When I put it up to my face with it, I thought this is way too big and will not work. Once I started shaving, that concern quickly vanished. I had it set at 2 to start and went over one side of my face with it. Too mild and it felt like the razor was skipping over my face. I bumped it up to 3 and found that much better. I was surprised that I was able to get around my nose as easily as I did. No issues there. I’m not sure about blade feel. It seems fairly neutral in that area. I like the thickness of the handle. The razor feels substantial. Due to the design, the head holds water, so shake it well after rinsing it to avoid water running down your hands. Keep in mind that head design does a great job of catching the lather and moving it out of the way. TLCAR?

Loading up the razor with a blade is not as fast as a TTO, but it takes about 20 seconds to load or remove the blade. Not an issue, just an observation.

My shave this morning was easily a DFS. I did unexpectedly get a weeper above my lip, but no big deal. The aftershave stung no more than usual.

First impression is I like it! Too early to render a final verdict, so more to come.
    F762BD2B-E388-4868-B1EF-381225F1339A.jpeg

ischiapp, GAW9576, kjbarth and 2 others like this.
  10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Thanks Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GAW9576 and Redfisher like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Mike. We can always add an old friend to the list if you want to give them a try.

Just let us know.

Tom

Edison Carter, Jim99, GAW9576 and 2 others like this.
  12. Redfisher

If you all want to send it my way I'd love to give it a try, especially the aluminum one!

GAW9576, Edison Carter and twhite like this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Your in my friend!

GAW9576 and Redfisher like this.
  14. Redfisher

Nice!

GAW9576 likes this.
  15. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

16. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I used the brass-TAR this morning for my morning shave. This baby is heavy, so I had my doubts with this one.

@twhite , what’s the weight of this bad boy?

I loaded up the razor with the same Personna lab blue I used for yesterday’s shave, set the razor on 3, lathered up with Stirling hot apple cider soap and went to town.

The weight of this razor threw me off at first, but I quickly adjusted my technique for the shave. I found that the weight of this razor does all the work, and all I needed to do was steer it. The brass-TAR feels more aggressive than the alumi-TAR on the same settings, but it’s not like night and day. Assuming the blade gap and exposure is the same, it’s due to the weight. I also found that the brass-TAR felt smoother for me, and I ended up with a virtual BBS after 3 passes. I did have one small nick under my nose as I tried to maneuver in that area. Speaking of maneuverability, the brass razor did not feel as maneuverable as the aluminum. Since both razors have the same dimensions, I’ll attribute it to the weight difference.

Pros of the brass-TAR:
    Weight-this baby will plow through the toughest beards
    Looks-shiny brass looks gorgeous
    Shave feel-neutral blade feel and efficient shave

Cons of the brass-TAR:
    Weight-appears to limit maneuverability
    Design-head retains water after rinsing

I’m only up to my second shave with these two razors, but my overall impression is these are very nice razors. It’s still early to identify all of the strengths and weaknesses, but I will say that I ended up with very nice shaves with both.

More to come...
    B7BB78A0-C233-45DB-921E-FB26761E5507.jpeg

ischiapp, kjbarth, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

165 grams. Almost 4-1/2 ounces

GAW9576, Edison Carter and Jim99 like this.
  18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

The Quarter Pounder

19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I just came to the realization that I have all of the TARs that have ever been created sitting on my bathroom vanity right now.
    :cool:
    It’s kind of like having every Rembrandt painting in existence in your living room all at the same time.

Awesome!
    :happy036:

20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You are Shave wealthy beyond compare.