Autostrop

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by King camp, Dec 9, 2012.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    The earliest version of the autostrop is the one you have, it will/should hold unmodified SE blades. It was followed by the first model of the "valet autostrop" which will take modified SE blades. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th models of the "valet autostrop" will not.

Here is one of the best threads that covers the different models of the "Valet" Autostrops.
    http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49538

Your model should take a regular GEM style SE Blade with no modifications at all. That is what makes it so desirable.

2. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I was trying to say and if I'm correct the one with a indent on the E is the one that only takes valet blades

3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yep, that covers it.

For some reason, Steampunk fans really, really like Autostrop razors. (I think all the little gears on the top of it does something to their brains:D ) If you really want to sell that razor, that is the crowd you should target. (Though you would have to really hate that razor to sell it)

4. King camp

Had to go search what steampunk was thought it might be some kind of razor ha ha
    And no I don't want to sell it al least not yet I don't even have it yet
    Out of curiosity could I take a bench grinder to the nubs that go in the blade so they'd take se blades like the older ones or is that what holds the blade in

PLANofMAN likes this.
  5. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

That's what grips the blade. Here's a shot of what I mean.

uploadfromtaptalk1355357754567.jpg

This is only one style. The one I sent to Mike had smaller nubs the the blade locked in to. The first Valet you had pictured will take modified GEM blades. I had one like that and they fit great. For most others, the Feather or NOS Valet blades are used.

One thing as a side note. When you get the Feather blades, you'll notice that they are much nicer than the GEM blades...they are very similar to the Valet blades.

6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/feather-se-razor.24215/
    You might want to check this thread out, or at least the pictures. What many people don't know is that Feather once manufactured an "Autostrop" style razor, which is why they produce blades that are compatible. I've never seen one in person, and in fact, this is only the second time I've been able to find a picture of one.

It's not really pertinent to the discussion at hand, but it is interesting from a historical viewpoint, and answers the question, "Why is a company in Japan the only one that makes blades for these things?"

7. King camp

I knew there was one because I searched it as I wondered why they made these blades but could not find a picture or even any information on it so thanks for the pictures. surprising that it didn't infringe on patents. one thing I don't understand is why everyone says stropping the feathers ruins them but there is a razor made specifically to do this with these blades

8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Stropping will not work with stainless blades. Or at the least, provides no benefit. The original blades for the autostrop were carbon steel, which can be stropped and benefits greatly from being stropped.

Feather as a company, specializes in very high quality precision surgical tools, and their shaving products reflect this. Feather makes the sharpest blades. Kai, another Japanese company may make blades that are as sharp, but Feather is King of the Hill where sharpness is concerned. When you strop blades that have that level of keeness, it is very easy to ruin the edge. Especially when you have a setup like autostrop, where you cannot control the blade angle on the strop.

I hope that answers your question.

9. lradke

Ha ha ha! That's my thread! ;) Just an FYI, Feather has none of those razors anywhere...I have already asked. The reason feather makes the blades still is because they had manufactured that razor. That's straight from a Feather Rep. :)

As mentioned, stropping the stainless blade will dull it, that's because it has coatings on it that add to the sharpness and smoothness. If you strop the blade, you wear the coatings off. However, if you get the carbon steel ones, those are stroppable! See below for the pic. These run about $25/100 blades...the stainless are about $40/100. Its these boxes that I buy from feather...as I mentioned in our conversation. But I only have stainless blades.

uploadfromtaptalk1355364263294.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1355364361047.jpg

King camp, GDCarrington and PLANofMAN like this.
  10. King camp

Ah that clarifies it what I was asking is why they made a self stropping razor but made unstroppable blades for it but now I see they make carbon ones. Can these carbon ones be found or do they only sell them in Japan

11. lradke

As far as I know they are only in Japan. You may be able to find them at a random online vendor...but none that I know of. :(

12. King camp

It would appear so as all the sites that seem to sell the FAS-10 are in Japanese so that doesn't help

13. lradke

14. King camp

Two arrived today Ill post pics in the haul but was wondering could I use the original blades while I'm waiting for the feathers as they aren't rusty but the roller on the razor is damaged I guess my question is do they need to be stropped obviously it improves blade life but is it necessary

15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    For inital use, with an unused blade, stropping should not be necessary. I would, however, take a magnifying glass (or better yet, a 10x jeweler's loupe) and carefully inspect the edge of the blade. I've had a few rough shaves with blades that looked fine to the naked eye, but on closer inspection revealed rust on the edge. I don't takes chances anymore.