Blade suggestions?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Hawkeye, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I'm new to the Shave Den, as well as safety razor shaving, so please go easy on me.

I've been shaving with a safety razor for a little over a month, and I was just about ready to give up until yesterday. It seemed like nothing I did would prevent an irritated, bumpy, and red lower neck. That's exactly why I never really took to cartridge in the past, and instead went with an electric shaver. The promise of a better shave is what excited me about traditional wet shaving. I was about ready to admit defeat yesterday morning, but realized I had one brand of blades from my sample pack I hadn't tried yet, the Sharks. I never recalled anyone mentioning that brand in any of the posts I had read, so I didn't give them much credit. Immediately after my shave I could tell a difference. I did a two pass shave, and was closer than any of the three or four pass shaves I had previously attempted. On top of that, there was zero irritation. Complete night and day difference.

Now for my question: Before I go and buy a bulk quantity of Shark Chrome blades, are there other brands that have similar characteristics? Now that I have an idea of what works for me, I want to make sure I'm not missing something before I commit.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, welcome to the Den.

Take a read hear about what blade to get and why.
    The best thing to do is get a sample pack. My advice - DO NOT BUY BULK ON ANY BLADE YOU HAVE NEVER TRIED. What works for me may not work for you. What you really like may tear up someone else. Blades are the most personal and varied item in shaving.

BigT likes this.
  3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'd suggest sticking with the Sharks awhile. Improve your prep and technique while using one brand of blade, then try other blades later. Blade performance varies a lot from person-to-person and razor-to-razor. Having said that, you might want to read GDCarrington's blade reviews at
    https://sites.google.com/site/gdcarrington1/home/de-blade-challenge-ii

Raven312 likes this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

If they're working, stick with them for a month. As your technique improves, you'll probably find some of the blades you didn't like initially feel better. But for now, stick with what's working.

BigT likes this.
  5. Gary

Gary Member

I like the Astra Platinums. Less than $10 per 100 on Amazon as well!

Leo K. likes this.
  6. Leo K.

Leo K. Well-Known Member

It definitely feels like a revelation to find the blade that works. There is nothing like that feeling of a blade that totally works on your face. An "Aha!" moment for sure. I would stay with the Sharks :)

7. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Thanks for advice. This website has been a gold mine of information and help for someone new to wet shaving. I appreciate all of the help.

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear you found a blade that works for you. Many new wet shavers don't buy a sample pack of blades. They try one blade, burn their face and give up. Being that the Sharks are working for you stick with them for at least a month or so and work on your technique. Then you can experiment with whatever you'd like.

9. Retired

Retired New Member

I've been wet shaving about 1.5 years, returning to it after 30 year absence...here's how my experience has gone:
    First I tried the one lousy brand of blades available locally.
    Next I bought a sample pack. worked through those slooooowly. Took notes. Written notes.
    Bought a razor, the seller tossed in a half dozen blades that I had never tried before. Worked through those.

I had settled on one blade that was best for me, and bought a hundred. Shaved every day for a year with it, although sometimes with a different razor.

At that point I decided to use up some of the oddball blades that were left. I noticed that some of those blades worked better, or at least sucked less, than my notes from a year ago said.

The lesson: yes I have a favorite blade, but I believe shaving 6 days a week for a year made a bigger difference. Technique.

10. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Hawkeye.....I hope you enjoy it here...:)

First DON"T buy in bulk at this point!!! Try and get other sample pks that have blades you haven't tried yet and or buy single packs of blades that don't normally come in sampler packs. Now that you've found a blade you like it will be easier to continue to experiment.
    The "MORE" blades you try the better!!

Heres my experience my first bulk buy was BlueBirds(100) a really good blade that I liked until I tried Astra SP's(300), then I tried Voshkods (100), then Astra SS(50),finally I tried some PolSilver Super Iridiums(100) with another 100 coming as of this morning...:)

I know just how you feel and how much you want to hurry to get your first bulk order, but take your time,things will change for you over time. Time, Technique,Practice and Patience are key not only to an excellent shave, but also to wise spending.

As to my bulk blade buys above:
    BlueBirds($15 a 100) once in a while use, because I bought them and need to use them up.
    Voshkods($15 a 100) although i like them slightly better than the BlueBirds again, I just need to use them up.
    Astra SP green box ($10 a 100) Realy nice blade that I use the most.
    Astra SS Blue box ($10 for 50) Ok blade,but not as good for me as the Astra SP's.
    PolSilver Super Iridiums ($36 a 100) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this blade,but at 2-3 times the price of the others, I'm glad I like the Astra SP's also. I'm constantly hunting for deals on the SI blades. $36 at Smallflower.com is the best price I've found so far.

So my advice is to "TAKE YOUR TIME" your brand new to "traditional" shaving and techniques/preferances will change over the next year or so. I still experiment with different blades,but now I only buy them a pack at a time and use them at least a month or two before deciding if I like them or not. While none of these purchases will break the bank, theres no use getting in getting a 100 of something that just sits there....:)

Raven312 likes this.
  11. feeltheburn

I don't feel too bad about buying a couple hundred blades that I like. I figure even if I don't use them all for a very long time, they'll quit making them at some point and I'll be glad I still have some. If lots of other people like them too, they may even be useful as trading material when they get hard to come by.

Raven312, Leo K. and 178-bplatoon like this.
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

I'm thinking I might buy 100 of the sharks, and another sampler pack or two. I need to look somewhat presentable for work, and after a month of cutting up my face each morning I was about to give up. It's such a relief to know that I can get a cut, and irritation free shave out of the sharks during the work week. I'll save the sampler packs for the weekends.

Keithmax, Erik Redd and feeltheburn like this.
  13. feeltheburn

That sounds like a pretty sensible plan. It's so much cheaper to buy most blades by the 100 that it's hard for me not to.

14. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I follow a similar philosophy. I use an injector during the week because I never get a bad shave with an injector and it makes it easier to evaluate the different soaps and creams I use. On weekends and off days I use other razors.

15. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

With some of the prices I've seen on sample packs ($25 -$35) delivered, why not take a chance on 100 blades like an Astra SP for $10 or so delivered. How bad can it be? It kills me to pay $5 for 10 but $10 for 100. But I don't really have sensitive skin so I can convert looser blades into one pass WTG shaving days for a fast CCS. I am a newbie so take it for what it's worth. Ha ha. For a $50 investment (5 different brand 100 packs) you can get into the sample pack business yourself on Ebay, maybe make some money. :happy108: