Flip it!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gadabout, Sep 7, 2014.

1. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

If a blade type that you use regularly occasionally gives you a below-average shave (with a new blade), stop what you're doing and immediately take the blade out, flip it over, and continue your shave. You may be surprised. More often than not, I've found that this makes a dramatic difference.

178-bplatoon, PatrickA51 and ObiDon like this.
  2. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

Thanks! I will give that a try:eatdrink047:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Considering the fact that what you shave with is the very, very fine edge I can't personally see how this can make any difference.
    I am a strong believer in that 'flipping the blade' is a pure placebo effect.

Having said that, as with SO many things in wetshaving YMMV and if it works for you then there is no reason not to do it :)

4. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Also, my big question is when you flip your razor from WTG to ATG, wouldn't you be shaving with the "bad side" anyway?

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have tried that several times, some times it helps other times it does nothing.
    YMMV

6. gadabout

I can't personally see it it either, but I can personally feel it, LOL.

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

8. gadabout

Most of those discussions seem to be about whether you can get more life out of your blades by flipping them over. That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm suggesting is that when you get a sub-par shave from a fresh blade that usually works well for you, then there is some kind of quality control problem relating to how the edge was made. When this happens, I have found that flipping the blade really makes a difference.

ObiDon likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I put it in the blade bank and reach for another one.

10. cournot

cournot Member

+1 Life's too short to worry about cheap blades. Trying to prolong the life of a 15 to 20 cent blade and risking a bad shave hardly seems worth the time or effort.

11. gadabout

You're both right, but I'll bet it took me less time to flip my blade over than it took you to toss the blade and grab a new one. :)

FatherofSquirrel likes this.
  12. cournot

cournot Member

Well if it works for you, can't argue with success!

13. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yep, this. I'll drop the dud and get a new one. Also, I agree with @Darkbulb on this. There's no reason it should make a difference. YMMV

14. FatherofSquirrel

FatherofSquirrel A right jolly old elf

It still changes which face of the blade is against your face. I've noticed most blades are numbered in the corners.
    1 and 2 on one side and 3 and 4 on another. What he is saying if 1 and 2 up doesnt work, 3 and 4 up may be better.

Yeah, it is the same edge but the 'flip' side of it so it may make a difference. I'm usually to lazy to do either and unless it is cutting my face up use the blade as is.

What I seem to notice, is that it takes about two shaves before my blades feel the most comfortable anyway.

Blades are cheap, but if you're a penny pincher, it may help. I usually go about 8 days with a blade before I change it.

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I just change blades. They aren't that expensive and I have over 400 blades.

16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

To me it's like "My coffee is too hot...let me drink from the other side of the cup".

But still - whatever works for anyone keep doing it, life's too short not to :)