Funny how most of us are obsessed

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Hairy Alaskan, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

My family thinks I'm crazy for having over 30 razors. I know that when my dad and grandfathers were shaving they stuck with a single razor for several years. They adapted to the razor at hand and learned to become proficient enough with it that there was no reason for multiple razors.
    Maybe when my future grandsons are shaving with their laser razors decades from now, they'll start collecting the cartridge razors of today and proclaim that shaving was better back then.

2. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

Yeah... the things are like pototo chips!

3. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I admitted to my fiancee that I might be a bit obsessed and she just said "yeah, I know" and then bought me some aftershave balm and shave soap.

macaronus, Omaney and trey06dmd like this.
  4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

[​IMG]

Note: Since the taking of this photo, two weeks ago, the fourth rack is now also full....

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

At some point in time I believe * most of us will slow down on buying, and do more enjoying. That's where I am now. The enjoying stage. Thankfully I have a wife that is very supportive of our hobby, she is always on the look out for goodies.

* With the exception of @Darkbulb :p

macaronus, ObiDon, Tdmsu and 5 others like this.
  6. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

I am kind of there right now. At least at the first stage. I am still acquiring to use, not collect, so I have a little backlog of stuff to try.

Jayaruh and Darkbulb like this.
  7. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It will happen...I just need to get the remaining 132 razors that I really, really, really want to try out....

I try to justify my RAD through;
    a) I'm having great fun trying out some very classic - and some rather odd/unusual razors,
    b) Vintage razors seems to hold their value rather well, and
    c) As long as I don't overpay too much for the razors I should be able to recoup most of my money AND be left with the fun I've had :)

*"c" is obviously based on the still to be proven concept of actually selling some razors that I buy...something that I haven't done yet - but hey, if my 'plan' works out there will be 20-25 razors for you lot to buy by the end of this year :D

Tdmsu, RaZorBurn123 and Jayaruh like this.
  8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I'm a member here, really enjoy wet shaving, and "I" think you are crazy to have thirty razors ;)

Your family must think you're bonkers. I have 6 and my wife is about ready to kick me out of the bathroom!

Jayaruh and BigMark like this.
  9. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'm only about 9 months into this hobby, and I have 8. I've already PIF'd one. I keep telling myself that after about a year, I should know what does and does not work well for me, and then I can start getting rid of some stuff. Here's how I categorize my collection now:

3 - Love them, I won't get rid of them (Fatboy, 2013 R41, Shovel Head)
    1 - I haven't tried yet (1914 EverReady)
    2 - I don't really like to use but is too pretty to get rid of (NEW LC, Bullet Tip)
    1 - Will probably be my travel razor but get very little daily use (DE89)
    1 - I keep trying it periodically hoping I'll like it as much as the top 3 (37c)

13 - Razors I still want to try (Tech - Dad's Birth Qtr, Super Adjustable - My Birth Qtr, Injector, Slim, MMOC, New Deluxe or New Improved, Fatip, Cadet OC, Progress, Old Type slim cap, ATT S2, Ikon 102, Elegant)

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Good break-down.

I got about 40-45 razors now and I want to make sure I give each and every razor a fair try.
    SO, I just this week started on my "1 razor per week" project to make sure that I go through them all...and that at the end of the year I know which ones I want to keep.

So far only one entry...this week's and next up to bat is my 'Mystery' razor from Argentina.
    Fun stuff.

[​IMG]

macaronus and gwsmallwood like this.
  11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

SWMBO has always known I am nuts. That said, I am at the "culling" stage. I'm not buying anything I can't clean up and resell...for the most part. If something pretty or very desireable comes along, then all bets are off.
    I'm up to around 30 sold so far in 2015 and the only purchases have been keepers. Well, except the Fatboys, I'll sell those all day, they're contributing to my retirement.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have only one razor (in the bathroom).
    The other 38 are in the display case.
    sabbatical.jpg

gwsmallwood and BamaT like this.
  13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

As we get closer to the end of the year I might hit you up for some razor-selling tips and tricks for how to maximize what you can get :)

Bird Lives likes this.
  14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I hope you rotate the razor that you keep in the bathroom :)

15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm right there with ya! Even with a supporting wife with a keen eye for what I like.

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  16. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Your photography skills will be a huge plus.

Darkbulb likes this.
  17. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I agree with RazorBurn123, and I got to this point probably a lot quicker than most. At this point, I have 6 razors. My wife has taken over the Flair Tip and that's fine, it was hers to start with many years ago, given to her by her dad. She had taken over my Slim adjustable, dropped it in the shower, and it's now in 3 pieces waiting for me to get around to trying to fix it. I also have an NDC SuperSpeed, another SuperSpeed that was my first "find" in an antique store for $5 and cleaned up, a $3 "Silver Tone" that serves as a travel razor, and an EJ DE8911 that is hands down my favorite. The Slim would see a lot of action once I get the doors back on it. I will still keep my eyes open for bargains at antique shops/yard sales, etc, but not going to buy just anything, and no more SuperSpeeds. At some point I would like to get a Weber, or perhaps 1 or 2 of some other "modern" DE razors, like a RazoRock. I'm also very comfortable with my H.I.S. 1865 synthetic brush (never even pick my boar bristle brushes), and I'm pretty well set on Beer Soap Brewing Company soaps. I've settled on 3 basic blades, and have about 9 different aftershaves that I enjoy. I will from time to time pick up a other soap, blade, or aftershave, but I'm no longer on a quest to acquire everything I see.

Having said all that, I did have to go through a phase of buying and trying different products to arrive at my current slate of favorites, and who knows, I might get the itch to start trying new things at some point. But for now, I'm enjoying traditional wet shaving with a few favorite products.

RaZorBurn123 and Darkbulb like this.
  18. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I might have to graduate from using my phone though :)

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is interesting. I have been doing the same thing since the beginning of the year, but I have not written it down. So, I decided to make a similar chart and give all my razors a chance this year. Good idea. I have 38 razors: 19 DEs and 19 SEs. I think I will alternate SE/DE by the month. At least, that what I have done so far without thinking about it.
    orobow.jpg

Darkbulb likes this.
  20. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

You should join me over here
    The intent is to post my findings of each razor at the end of the week and I'd love to hear others take on how their collections are being put to use as well :)