GEM RAZOR MODELS

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Nov 8, 2018.

?

Pick the Gem you like shaving with, multiple choices allowed for different models!

1. Gem Lather catcher

26 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. Gem Junior

27 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. Gem 1912 Damaskeene

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Gem Micro Matic clog proof

34 vote(s)
    32.4%
  5. Gem Micro Matic Bullet handle (flying wing)

28 vote(s)
    26.7%
  6. Gem Micro Matic Open comb

40 vote(s)
    38.1%
  7. Gem Push button

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  8. Gem G- Bar

31 vote(s)
    29.5%
  9. Gem Feather weight

21 vote(s)
    20.0%
  10. Gem Contour

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just bought a Vintage Gem Micro Matic open comb and was curious on what Gem models you like the best.
    Lot's of newbies & seasoned shavers would like to know more information on these razors that made lots of shavers happy. The Vintage razors are built strong and have lasted many decades(some Century's) and is part of the American shaving community legacy. If I missed some models sorry, they only allow so many on options, make sure you mention them!
    Some other models GEM Streamline (Eveready streamline & Gem merge?) + Gem 1924 travel model
    Some nice looking Gem Razors.
    Collection of Gems (2).jpg
    Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I have a G-Bar, Featherweight, Pushbutton, and Micromatic. I enjoy all of them. Great razors!

Hogie, gorgo2, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I'm just gonna have to go with "All of the above"
    Can't choose a favorite model. Too many options. I'm a single edge guy 1st and foremost.
    If you like these razors, come over and join us across the street.
    @wchnu

Jim O, MPF9, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I only have the G-Bar and I love it.

Herm

5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Any Gem is a good Gem. But some are better than others. I'm a huge fan of any flavor of micromatic. Featherweight and g-bar are not far behind.

gorgo2, Ron R and PLAla like this.
  6. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

I've owned them all, and for me the Micromatic Open Comb takes it by a mile.

Once I learned the touch with this one it became a joy to use.

gorgo2, PLAla, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  7. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

I only have the micromatic oc, and love every shave from it.

8. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

It's a toss up, like I said. There isn't a GEM model that I haven't at least tried.
    I am looking for a bullet weight, for a decent price, or trade.
    The MicroMatic series will always be in my den.

gorgo2, Ron R, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just bought a group of 3 Gem razors off _Bay , A GEM gold push button, a GEM Feather weight along with a GEM G-bar. Amazing great looking and hardly used, could it be that merchants were not selling the GEM blades was the demise of GEM or A.S.R company. It seems up in northern Canada you can not buy even Double edge blades-and if they are handling in the bigger cities you pay big money at the drug stores for the only brand Wilkinson blades($15.00 Canadian for 10 blades or $12 US>Marketing elimination of a product line tactic?). Competition was fierce with Gillette, Schick, Merkur........ and still more competition with artisans making great razors also today.
    Thanks for all the great information from this GEM greenhorn, it will help other Newbies in the future who like vintage razors possibly.

gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

$42 Canadian shipped for 200 PTFE blades from Connaught.

wchnu, gorgo2 and Ron R like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I just bought 30 SS PTFE blades from Connaught to see if I will enjoy the new SE Gems, That is a good deal JIM@jmudrick with another Gem shaving buddy who is low on blades to buy 200 , Lots of Newbies might not of heard of Connaught or Ted Pella & Andrew's shave shop who also handles Personna Teflon coated Gem Blades. It's shipping rate costs that kills a lot of the sales no doubt in Canada and USA transactions. Lots of great deals out there for Vintage razors or brand new ones and blades are very reasonable to boot. I really like Personna DE blades and the GEM Personna teflon blades should be just fine.
    Thanks again!

gorgo2 and jmudrick like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    This is one of my favorite Gems. It is the Gem Junior from 1907.

IMG_3443.JPG

1907ad_top.jpg 1907ad_bottom.jpg

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Gem was a large razor company and they were trying to compete with different models on the drawing books, here is a glimpse of a proto type adjustable that went into a physical reality. To me they should of introduced a Generation 2 blade with a round hole in the center of the blade that still could of been used still in the older models and come out with a 3 pc razor that would of blown out new designs and made it easier for adjustable plates like the new DE razor artisans are pumping out left and right today.
    3 pc razors are easy to clean and package, it was management that sat on their hands and held back the onslaught of Gillette and others to knock them out. Such a easy solution to come out with a adjustable IMO. Look at Blackland Sabre & PAA with their GEM models. Gem engineers had the brain power to make a 3PC adjustable but were influenced to turn the other way IMO!!Why? maybe a 3 pc razor were a thing of the past in their marketing view?
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/a-very-rare-gem-razor.31431/
    025_zps53313514 (2).jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    Hogie, Leclec13, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

gorgo2, Jayaruh, Ron R and 1 other person like this.
  15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Or, maybe they viewed adjustables as gimmicky, and failure prone with the added complexity. Eventually even Gillette quit making them (to pursue other gimmicks.)

gorgo2, brit, Jayaruh and 1 other person like this.
  16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/dating-chart-for-your-gem-ever-ready-star-razor.36657/
    Here is a brief history of Gem / Star razor/ Ever-ready razor models= ASR MFG
    [​IMG]

If you are more into reading than looking at a chart, here goes"
    1911-1912 Gem de Luxe
    1912 Gem Damaskeene (the "1912")
    1914-1915 (ER) "1914" Marked "American Safety Razor Company New York" Patent Pending
    1917-1919 (ER) "1914" Marked "Ever Ready" Patented March 24/14
    1918 "Radio" trademark blade - just a point of interest being perhaps "Radio" predated "Ever Ready" on the razors that are marked "Radio"?
    1919 Star became a subsiduary of ASR
    1919 Gem "1912"
    1919 (ER) Front Hinged Cap "Brooklyn New York USA" Patent Applied For (becomes the "1924")
    1923 "Ever Ready" trademarked by ASR
    1924 "GEM" trademark redesigned by ASR
    1925 ER "1914" & "1924" produced hereafter marked "Ever Ready"
    1930 Gem "Micromatic" (the Open Comb)
    1930 The Improved Ever Ready ("1912") - what we call the Ever Ready "1912" finally coming into common production (see above, regarding "Radio")
    1933 ER "E-Bar" - potentially earlier than the Gem offering of the same model? (Last use of "Ever Ready" in the US)
    1930s "Star" - supercedes "Ever Ready" in the US (British market continues with "Every Ready") and duplicates "Gem" ("1912") ... perhaps simply becoming the "Junior"
    1930s? Gem G-Bar (introduced after the cessation of the Ever Ready trademark in the US)
    1940s? Gem "1912 Junior"
    1941 Gem (Micromatic) "Clog Pruf"
    1947 Gem (Micromatic) "Flying Wing"
    1940s? (Late) ER "Streamline" (British - Ever Ready trademark picked up in Britain ... last used in US in 1933)
    1950s ER Featherweight (British)
    1950s Gem Featherweight/Pushbutton
    1960s Gem Contour
    1970s Gem Contour II

So, the Gem "1912" is only a 1912 if it's a Damaskeene, 1919 otherwise.
    An Ever Ready "1912" is actually a 1930 and Star "1912" were made from 1933.

Ever Ready "1914" is a 1914 if "patent pending", 1917-1919 otherwise.

Ever Ready "1924" is a not a 1924 if "patent applied for" which makes it actually a 1919.

Pivotal years seem to be 1912 (Gem Damaskeene "1912" begins), 1919 (Star brought into ASR, Gem "1912" begins & Ever Ready "1924" comes into pre-patent production), 1923 (Ever Ready brand goes full blown) and 1930 (Ever Ready "1912" begins).

Here is a great time line for GEM & Everready razors that has been updated and some effort went into this by @mata_66 & others and we will all appreciate this reference and there could be a few changes if needed. (updated April 2 2019)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Have some great shaves!

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    GoodShave, Hogie, ischiapp and 6 others like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

AFAIK all US Shovelheads say Patent Applied For regardless of production date. Happy to be corrected.

gorgo2 likes this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Something new I learned was the 2 bumps that are on most but not all Micromatic razors were for the double edge blade that was introduced. They were added to take some of the aggression off the blade because the spine was removed(Micomatic double edge blade)they were going to challenge Gillette double edge it seems to me with their double edge blade. ASR GEM probably found blade sales dropped off when introduced is my guess because you needed less of them over the year in a limited market?.
    692a92a2a7dfd35d7dbfd52fcd12a2a5 (2).jpg View attachment 178837
    micomatic bullet (2).jpg
    Gem micromatic with out the bumps (2).JPG

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Hogie, brit, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Most all the gold MMOC are bump free.

20. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I think those are the earliest models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Linuxguile, gorgo2 and Ron R like this.