Gillette New Standard

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jay_gatz, Aug 22, 2021.

1. jay_gatz

jay_gatz Well-Known Member

Are these considered by most as a more aggressive razor? I pull mine out every now and again, and they seem to be quite aggressive. This is the model I am referring to:

Richwood2.jpg

brit likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's a New Improved. Standard and Richwood are set names. Compared to what? In the Gillette universe yes relatively aggressive. Compared to other razors, especially pre war French not so much. Just takes some practice. Especially if you are used to a mild Gillette like a 50s Superspeed.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

brit, jimjo1031 and IAmTheJody like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Yes, the New Improved razors are somewhat aggressive IMHO. To me, the perfect spot between mild and very aggressive.

Years ago I got one, no case, that was in rather poor plating condition so I ended up sending it off to Reliable Electro Plating in Massachusetts for a replate in black nickel. It was a gorgeous end result wearing that black nickel tuxedo and it was one of my most beloved and most used razors. Really hated to have to sell it when life threw financial misfortune my way.

Here's my thread from 2011 about it. I recently updated it with before and after pics as the old pics links we're dead and I found the old pictures on a old PC hard drive...
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/a-1920s-gillette-wearing-a-tuxedo-pic-heavy.23121/

4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's the only Gillette I like enough to have purposely acquired four examples of: an uncased beater, and gorgeous New Standard, Tuckaway, and Bostonian sets. I love 'em.

jimjo1031, Dave in KY and IAmTheJody like this.
  5. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

I agree with slightly aggressive and if respected a GREAT shaver Love mine !

6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

:signs011:

PanChango and Dave in KY like this.
  7. Sevenbark

Sevenbark Well-Known Member

The Tuckaway is one of my favorites That is a beauty you have there.

8. tonich

tonich Well-Known Member

The NEW improved I find a bit bore aggressive compared to the NEW Deluxe.
    Thus highly recommend the later.

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A matter of personal preference of course.

I very slightly prefer the New (no caps lol) Improved. Remember the transition to the New Deluxe/LC geometry beginning in '28 was made not because it would shave better but because the relocated fulcrum point put less stress on the blade which Gillette engineers hoped would reduce complaints about blade breakage.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    IAmTheJody likes this.
  10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

As has been stated earlier there are 2 variations on the new improved design.

You have the original razor head design also called a 126 by Gillette used between 21 -28 then you have the redesigned 126A on the 28 and later razors that was supposed to deal with keeping the original 3 hole barrel blades from snapping when tightening the razor up.

126.jpg 126a.jpg

126 on the left and the 126A on the right.
    You can see the difference in how the cap overhangs the base plate for each.

Looking at both if the O.P. wanted to know which one he has it is the original 126 base plate.