January 2015 30 Day Rule/30 Day Focus Pic and Discussion Thread- All are Welcome

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakie55

jakie55 Well-Known Member

Man, that's how I feel about using the SE clog pruf. I guess it's all what one is used to. There are those who think we are NUTS using anything without a ton of plastic around the blade to protect us.

Bama Samurai and youngunn like this.
  2. jakie55

Today's shave (Day 3)was much like yesterday's. It went well, with no weepers, or nicks. The jaw line is bordering on BBS, but the neck lower down needs more work, and better technique. I know what I will be working on..... I'm starting to get a bit comfortable with the MMCP

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    wristwatchb, VedderLG, Troy M and 2 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I own about a dozen DE razors. Nothing else other than a Harry's cart handle and refill blades. I only intend on keeping like four. (March PIF? Hmmm)

All of my shaves are Utopia (R89 or Jagger type head), ball end 53 Tech, 60s flare tip and MTO. I have never shaved with most I own, because many are injectors and I wanna master DE like a boss first. :happy088: The Utopia is automatic DFS and easy BBS if I chase. This month is to get my Slim technique to that point. then after a month or two of fun, I may do this again, but with my Dad's Schick J.

TrentRTR, Troy M and youngunn like this.
  4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I shaved with the ER 1914 after 4 straight shaves and immediately realized how lucky men were when they created safety razors. I mean yeah straights are fun but are tricky. Safety razor shaves are still technique intensive but its like night and day for me the effort required.

That's why I'm doing SR for my 30 day, to REALLY focus on technique.

5. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Ah nice collection. Injectors are sweet man... The feel and balance is all different from DE razors and I just feels effortless shaving.

maltedmilk, Misphit and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. jakie55

:signs011:

Misphit and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 2, 2015

Prep: Hot shower. Axe Shield Face Wash
    Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant
    Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Yellow
    Brush: Omega 10066
    Lather: BSBC Bearded Lady
    Aftershave: 4711. Axe Shield Sensitive
    This morning shave wasn't the greatest. BSBC Bearded Lady isn't for me, it lacks lather power! The post shave was good. Something I do and I wonder if anyone else does this? After my last pass I'll paint my face with the leftover soap, I'll leave it on while I clean my brush and razor in the sink, rinse face. I've been doing this for well over a year and believe it adds an extra layer of skincare. After all, why let a good soap go down the drain.. Once again the RRSS was superb!
    Go out and get it!
    image.jpg

Boojum1, wristwatchb, Misphit and 9 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

1/2/2015 BSG 30 Day - Day 2

Prep - Hot Shower
    Razor - Mongoose Satin B2
    Blade - Kai Mild (2)
    Brush - Rubberset 400 with WSP HMW
    Lather - Soap Commander Confidence
    Post - Witch Hazel and Dove After Shave Balm

No pictures today since I was shaving before work. I'll try to post pics for my weekend shaves.

Today's shave was better than yesterday ( which was good). I really like how easy the Soap Commander lathers up and the post shave feel is great for me. The Kai Mild blade seemed smoother today. I've read that the Kai and Feather blades get smoother with a few shaves. So far I've found that to be true. I have found that it is easy for me to get and keep the correct angle using the Goose. Today's shave was a full 2 pass shave, WTG and XTG, followed by ATG only on the chin and neck. Overall very pleased at this point. I am interested in seeing how much more proficient I can become with this razor over the coming month.

9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

voskhod comrade.jpg 1/2/15 BSG Day 2

Prep - Shower, hot towel soak in the shower
    Brush - Omega 48
    Soap - Proraso Green
    Razor - 1918 Gillette Old Style
    Blade - Voskhod (2)
    After - Styptic, Clubman

After yesterday's issues I took some time last night to look up some videos of people using the Merkur 1904, which is a reproduction of the Gillette Old Style. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything. Basically, my diagnosis of being too tentative seemed right as they just went right after it and made it look easy. It is definitely an aggressive razor but it shouldn't be lethal by any means.

Changed today and went back to the shower to shave, partly due to the fact it's a work day so time is a bit more crowded. Used a hot towel soak just before starting. Omega once again did a great job on the soap, face lathered and took extra time to build it a bit more than yesterday. Grabbed the razor and started on the right side. Used quick but not fast strokes WTG on face and neck, same on left side. Nice. Rinsed, relathered, XTG on right side and then left. Created a few nicks on the right cheek but nothing major. Actually hit a bump on my face and skipped a bit so no worries. One of those things. Neck was good. Rinsed, relathered and went ATG from the neck up. This thing definitely tells you when it's working and I was able to hold the angle through the entire shave. Finished with some styptic for a couple of the minor nicks, splashed Clubman and ready to go.

All in all a major improvement and I liked the way the razor felt and sounded. I think my confidence in using it improved a bit and that made a huge difference. Final result was DFS on the face, not quite on the neck but much better than yesterday.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I think I will play this time around. I am not expecting much out of the ordinary. The one caveat is the brush, I will be switching between a couple brushes as I like to let them dry between use. They are all boar brushes with similar specs. I have used this set up yesterday as well as today. Only 27 more to go....

Gillette LC New Bulldog
    Gillette Silver Blue
    Semogue BC Cerda
    Institut Karite Soap
    Alum
    Superior 70

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, Misphit and 8 others like this.
  11. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Be careful, that baby is prone to bite.

12. ghorn11

ghorn11 New Member

I've asked this question before and from what I've gathered everyone just puts the lid back on, no worries of molding or rotting.

13. Bama Samurai

Kerry-
    I do the lather thing too, especially on menthol Monday, or if if really like the soap scent! I've read about others doing it. In addition to good skincare, it stops any minor weepers for me.

14. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

1/2/15
    #30DayChallenge shave #4

Prep: warm wash and cornhusker's lotion
    Lather: Klar Kabinett
    Brush: Vie-Long 13061M horsehair
    Razor: Gillette New LC
    Blade: Voskhod Teflon coated (4)

Great 3 pass shave this morning. I face-lathered the KK today and it worked out just great. The VL brush was nice and soft, but with enough backbone to really paint on a slick and shiny lather. I was inspired to use the Cat for the aftershave and enjoyed the burn AND my wife's first comment was "You smell good!" That's what I like.

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, Misphit and 8 others like this.
  15. Bama Samurai

16. Bama Samurai

17. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Unfortunately, the reverse is also true...

18. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

January 2nd SOTD (Shave 5 of the challenge)
    Razor & Blade: '63 Gillette Slim and Gillette Platinum
    One day's growth
    First shave on this blade, Setting 2 on the razor, hand stropped the blade before loading
    Brush & Bowl: Semogue 1460 brush and hand thrown soup bowl with flat bottom and ridges
    Soap & Aftershave: Maggard Orange Menthol
    Prep: Hot shower

I wasn't going to shave today, but I forgot I had an early meeting. Only did an ATG pass and some touch up. No nicks, weepers, or irritation. Shave was pretty good on the neck, and DFS on face and jaw. I expected my skin to be unhappy with shaving three days in a row, but it seems to be doing OK. I can't tell if the hand stropping made any difference or not, but I will keep it up and see.

wristwatchb, NCoxSTL, Misphit and 9 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Not as long as I'm here! :happy097:

CyanideMetal and GDCarrington like this.
  20. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yup. No worries at all.

Drygulch and Bama Samurai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.