January 2016 30 Day Rule/Focus Pic&Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bama Samurai, Dec 31, 2015.

?

What is your preferred brush bristle-type?

1. Badger

29 vote(s)
    43.9%
  2. Boar

17 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Synthetic

16 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Horse or other

4 vote(s)
    6.1%
  1. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I love your brush.. LOVE.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

SOTD
    January 2, 2016
    Prep: Hot Shower. Axe Energizing Face Wash Boost
    Razor: Gillette Milord
    Blade: Ladas
    Lather: Gingers Garden Rose Petals
    Brush: Semogue 830
    Aftershave: Gingers Garden OakMoss
    Super shave. The Milord is pretty aggressive IMO, but a nice shaver. Gingers Garden is awesome stuff. The Semogue 830 is my favorite boar, really soft.
    Never let the things you WANT
    Make you forget the things you HAVE!
    image.jpg

cmorris357, PLAla, Rufus T. and 16 others like this.
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Saturday, January 2, 2016

King Cobra with Triad Aristocrat Ti
    Kai Captain Mild #1
    Doug Korn Amber TGN Finest
    Barrister and Mann Cheshire
    Barrister and Mann Kyovu Cheshire

Today's shave was excellent. I used a feather's touch and a shallow angle to capture the baby. Just a touch too much pressure, left me with some irritation on my right cheek. Closeness A+, Irritation A. Barrister and Mann Cheshire is an excellent scent both soap and kyovu. I'm ready for the postman. :mail:
    TGIF!

IMG_0026.jpg

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
    cmorris357, PLAla, Troy M and 15 others like this.
  4. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

There are many great discussions on lathering MWF that I found on TSD. After reading some and getting some encouragement and instruction from @clint64 and @JR Reyes, I found that I was able to catch on pretty quickly. My first shave post in the December focus has the procedure I followed. See page 4, post 74. Here is a full link: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...ic-discussion-thread.48331/page-4#post-940980

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thanks Tom. It's in pretty good shape. It is amazing how well-built these old Super Speeds are. This one is from my Bride's birth quarter, so it's extra special to me.

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Not from me...I turned over a new leaf while you were gone.

7. Bill_F

Bill_F Well-Known Member

1/2/16

Phoenix Double OC
    Astra Superior Platinum (3)
    Vulfix Super Badger (660)
    Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Georgetown G12 Scuttle
    Pinaud Clubman Original

Third shave with my Phoenix DOC loaded with the Astra SP. 2 full passes: Pass 1 XTG. Very good reduction. Pass 2: ATG. Very good reduction also, followed by normal amount of touch up. A cool water rinse and more than usual touch up and I mistakenly thought I had captured the baby. The Pinaud Clubman stung, but not to the point I would call fire (as it did Thursday). I had enough lather left for at least a couple of passes.

A nice comfortable near BBS from the Phoenix DOC and the Astra SP. Rich lather provided by Mitchell's Wool Fat. I believe I'm getting better at setting the proper cutting angle. Both of my passes were very close. My touch up on the other hand, may need more work. My touch up takes care of the edges of my side burns, mustache and goatee. It is also when I go against the grain in those isolated areas where it needs additional effort to eliminate the traces of stubble. I had to go over these latter areas a few more times than I would with the LC. That could be due with the sharpness of the blade, or that I don't have the angle down as well during the touch up as I do during the passes. I'm going to switch blades to the Lord Platinum Class for tomorrows shave. I'll be looking to see if the level of effort is any different.

I hope everyone has a great Saturday!

cmorris357, PLAla, Troy M and 14 others like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

01/02/2016
    Razor – Cobra Classic
    Blade – Feather Pro (3)
    Brush – Rubberset 400-3 with WSP HMW
    Lather – Mystic Water Lime
    Post - Witch Hazel followed by Folsom & Co Shambala

[​IMG]

Keeping with the NB 2016 theme of enjoying what you have, I started of the year using some of my favorites that have not been used as much lately. Mystic Water Lime soap is a great example. The soap can be very finicky to lather until you get everything dialed in. The big turning point for me was loading the soap into shave sticks. Now it is much easier to lather with a clean lime scent I enjoy.

A 2 pass shave, ATG & XTG, followed by some touch ups around the trouble spots resulted in a near perfect shave. It would have been perfect had the Cobra not bit me pretty good. It was operator error for sure. With this much blade exposure I have to be more careful placing the razor against my face. Closeness A+ with irritation at a B.

I am so glad I followed Kerry's SOTD photos and got the F&C aftershaves. The F&C Shambala citrus scent worked great with the MW Lime soap. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

cmorris357, Troy M, Rufus T. and 14 others like this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Hehe.....this is going to be fun!

Rufus T., wristwatchb, Bill_F and 8 others like this.
  10. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Just lovely that brush looks like it would lather great. I need a nice big brush

Drygulch, wristwatchb, Bill_F and 5 others like this.
  11. Boojum1

Congrats on your first SR shave. :happy096:

12. Boojum1

Sorry to hear you got bitten. :eek:

13. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Unusual and cool picture

14. TomJ89de

TomJ89de Well-Known Member

Yeah your right, that's a good pic.

15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Thank you!

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. It is a lather monster for sure.

You warned me and I still let it bite me. Bet I pay closer attention next time. ;)

18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Congrats on your first SR shave! I am glad another SR newbie is working on straights this month!

19. Norcalnewb

Congrats on the CT, Keith!

20. Norcalnewb

I am already learning something from you. Focus in the zones and breathing. I have found my breathing gets strained when doing my neck.