Major Score

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by I Call It Maize, Nov 21, 2019.

1. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine at work found out that I had an interest in vintage shaving. This morning he shows up with a ziplock bag full of goodies. What a very good friend indeed!

The Fatboy is an E4. The gold Gillette is a 1930’s New I think? I know nothing about the Schicks...other than I can now get invited to the Injector party....oh yeah!

Happy Thursday!

[​IMG]

steve207, canoeroller, BigD and 13 others like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Assuming the Fat boy works correctly is a good score by itself, it along with the other razors look like they just need a good cleaning in some warm water with dish soap.

You also have a Gillette new short comb and on the injectors you have from top to bottom a J1v2, I1v2 and L7. The J1v2 and I1v2 are the same razor just different handle styles, Schick used to call the J style handle a long handle and the I style handle a classic handle when marketed side by side. The J1v2 and I1v2 were produced between 1959 - 1964. The L7 was billed as a Championship razor produced in 1972 as a promotional razor for the 1972 Olympics given away with the purchase of blades. The alphabet designations aka calling them a Type A, B, C etc. is a modern collector nomenclature and has nothing to do with how Schick defined the razors.

https://jrshaving.blogspot.com/p/schick-injector
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-injector-type-i-and-j-reclassification.62682/
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/schick-injector-updated-information-addenum-thread.62800/

RyX, brit, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The I1vx and J1vx and J2 were the same razor just a different handle depending which date range they were produced in. They differ in how they shave depending which range that is the J1v1 and I1v1 shave the same but shave differently from a J1v2 and I1v2 and vice versa. You have one from each date range so both razors will differ assuming that J1 says Eversharp Schick on the razor head. It is hard to tell for sure from the picture. If it says Schick Safety Razor then it is a J1v2 and shaves the same as the I1v2 you have there.

4. I Call It Maize

Thank you so very much for the Schick information. The Fatboy seems to be in working order.

Here is a little better look at the Schick heads:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigD, brit, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Readers Digest version on the I and J razors that don't have a hydro magic lever on them.
    Advertisement from Sports Illustrated in 1957.
    [​IMG]

First iterations produced between 1957 - 1959 as shown in the ad above
    modern nomenclature Type I1v1 and J1v1

Marketing nomenclature
    Eversharp Schick Injector Razor, new long handle and new classic handle.

long handle refers to the Type J1v1 razors the classic handle the Type I1v1 razors.

Visual features, both came with only white handles and both had Eversharp Schick stamped on the razor heads.

ad from the Chicago Tribune Apr. 15th 1959
    [​IMG]

Second iterations produced between 1959 - 1964 see ad above

modern nomenclature Type I1v2 and J1v2

Marketing nomenclature
    Schick Safety Razor

Visual features, both came with only white handles and both had Schick Safety Razor stamped on the razor heads. You can see both style handles in the display tray in the ad.

ad from the Alabama Journal May 14th 1964
    [​IMG]

Third and final iterations produced between 1964 - 1967 see ad above

modern nomenclature Type I1v3 and J2

Marketing nomenclature
    Schick Injector Razor, choice of two new black ebony handles

Visual features, both came with only black handles and both had Schick stamped on the razor heads.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You have the J1v1 and I1v2. The J1v1 is one of the most aggressive injector razors ever produced under the Schick brand name. The I1v2 will be much milder in comparison. They changed the razor head geometry with each iteration so depending were the razor fits in will determine how it shaves. The first iterations were the most aggressive of the bunch, the second milder but with a lot of blade feel and the third even milder with less blade feel to them.

7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you can handle that J1v1 then you can handle pretty much any injector razor modern or vintage. The only step up from there is what is called an E2 with a movable spring. They don't get more sharp, aggressive or efficient than the E2 with a movable spring for Injectors, DE or Gem blade style SE razors from my personal experience using many different types of razors. Word of advice if you never used an injector before the shave angle is opposite of a DE. They require a very shallow almost ride the cap type of angle to work their best unlike DE razors. Just put the razor cap to the skin and angle in until the blade feels what you think is correct which should be a very slight angle adjustment and you are good to go, just keep in mind the amount of pressure you need to press the razor on the face will be less than a DE razor.

As far as aggressiveness goes the J1v1 Schick is the most aggressive of the razors you have there, the least aggressive will be the L7 Championship Schick. The only one that might come close to the L7 is the fat boy on lower dial settings like a 3 or less. The second most aggressive of those razors will be the Gillette new short comb.

BTW to know that is a short comb and not a long comb is the placement of the Gillette logo, the short comb the logo is underneath the handle on the base plate and long comb it is on one of corners of the base plate.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    brit, Jim99 and I Call It Maize like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very good friend. Congratulations.

brit, S Barnhardt and I Call It Maize like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    That's a $30-50 Olive Garden gift card friend right there.

Chuck Naill, brit, Juno and 3 others like this.
  10. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I need friends like that...awesome! The vintage blades will rock as well.

brit, S Barnhardt and I Call It Maize like this.
  11. I Call It Maize

I repay him with tubs of my homemade pimento cheese. Good trade for sure.

RyX, brit, Juno and 1 other person like this.
  12. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

That’s a nice score and you clearly have a good friend. Buy him a drink!

brit and I Call It Maize like this.
  13. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Fantastic gift! Congratulations!

14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Just as an fyi I edited quite a bit the readers digest post with better ads to make the information more concise and understandable.

15. I Call It Maize

Thank you for the information. Big time help!

brit likes this.
  16. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

That's a great gift! The Short Comb you have looks like the guard is the one that uses the LC cap. A very good shaver from ~1929 - 1940.

17. I Call It Maize

I’m not sure about the cap. It is indeed a Short Comb. It needs to be cleaned up but I am looking forward to giving it a run.

brit likes this.
  18. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

It’ll be the only cap that will fit that Comb.
    This one:
    D7EE366A-E314-4E9E-B656-63924289DF6B.jpeg

The other combination would be this one:
    7071CC35-B955-438D-ADA7-A0DE081E4188.jpeg

Which should not be the one you have.

19. I Call It Maize

[​IMG]

brit and Rev579 like this.
  20. I Call It Maize