March 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 1, 2018.

?

What's Your March Madness?

1. Shavette Dojo with the Samurai Man

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. Rule baby!

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Learning a new razor

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. Soap Mania

7 vote(s)
    20.6%
  5. Brushes

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. A Focus of some kind

12 vote(s)
    35.3%
  7. Cookie Madness!

16 vote(s)
    47.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Triple-dog-dare ya.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great report! Glad to hear your 30 day focus or rule worked so well for you. And we're all happy to have you here either lurking or talking. Don't be a stranger!

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Sounds like day one on a shavette. You learned a lot. Tomorrow's shave will be better.

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Well this should be interesting. I don't think anyone has ever finished a puck of Tabac before.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What Sensei said. Any of the blades you mentioned will work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

March Unfocused

Tabac Original soap
    B-400 WD High Mountain badger
    Suribachi bowl & cool water
    The Bunny; Notso comb, Chick blade
    Bound & Shagged AS by @twhite
    SOTD 03012018.gif Haven't yet focused on a Focus for March. Tom @twhite mentioned a product he used, I inquired, he sent me up. (Thank you Tom! You're an cornucopia of amazing inventions) Using the never ending tub of Tabac I got in a trade with Neal @NCoxSTL and the great badger knot Clint @clint64 PIFed to me mounted in the Rubberset 400 replica that Tom crafted (take a breath) I easily worked up a lather in the Suribachi I received in a trade with Jack @Sparrow. With my Bunny (Tom, again) firmly but gently in hand I took my three passes. Plenty of lather still available so The Bunny got to play for another pass & a half. Rinsed, dried, skipped the alum, gave the spritzer bottle of AS a shake and a couple sprays. The bottle arrived just over half full of Witch hazel, vitamin E, and a touch of scent oil. I completed the formula by topping it off with Everclear. Tom uses Vodka so my batch is a little higher alcohol content but otherwise super stuff! The scent is named Bound & Shagged and supplied from a shop near Tom's called KleanSpa. It's described as "A leather-whipped scent robust with sultry notes of amber, musk and black pepper." To me it smells like fresh laundered cotton sheets. They don't offer an AS, this is Tom's formula. I've been an alum block user for the last couple years, but this Witch hazel brew just might change my mind.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

7. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Great picture, Dan!
    A couple of nice looking shaves, Keith!

LOOT, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  8. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Hello to the month of madness! I took a 1 day jump on everyone and hit the Luxor early. I'm behind over here as I started a thread called" Shavette Newbie" and have been posting my shaves there as well.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/shavette-newbie.59006/#post-1398182
    Here's my lineup for March. No cuts so far and the baby jumped on the dolphin and swam away without me. I may catch them before April lol. Happy shaves everyone. 15199565900680.jpg

MR41, PickledNorthern, LOOT and 14 others like this.
  9. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jim!

10. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful colors, Rick!
    No blood so far is a great start!

11. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Can't figure out how to post pics so this will be pure text.

Slim Adjustable
    Rapira Swedish Supersteel
    Proraso Red Preshave
    Tabac Shave Soap
    Yaqi Slivertip
    Dickinson's Witchhazel
    Spieck AS splash
    Proraso Blue AS balm

Well, first shave of the focus was ok. A bit of irritation, not bad considering I didn't shower before, instead I wet face with warm water for a few minutes and used Proraso red preshave, which I kind of liked, may continue. Felt like my lather was bit too thin, and maybe a pinch to dry. Face was still sore from last nights Gillette green, which may have contributed more irritation. Shaving with cap always touching is going to take so practice, worked pretty well, on upper lip, struggled with the technique on and below chin and jawline. Well, I suppose that's the end of my ramble.

MR41, LOOT, Linuxguile and 14 others like this.
  12. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

DD580F01-EA17-4D06-83F0-BA8FB567CAFD.jpeg
    Soap courtesy of @Linuxguile shave day number 2. Not mowing down very well especially not against the grain. Still issues around the chin area. Maybe I’m not hitting angle correctly but it just consistently grabs on ATG.

MR41, LOOT, Linuxguile and 13 others like this.
  13. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Yeah, over the last four months I've bought a ton of stuff, the wife told me no more new stuff for 6 months .

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Jim!
    Prepare your photo with any enhancements or adjustment. Drop it in a folder for easy finding. If you change the format to GIF, or reduce the sized it helps to get it under the one MB file size limit. Then click the "Upload a File" button. Navigate to your photo, upload it, and Bob's your uncle! There's also the option of off site hosting, or installing the TapaTalk app.

Has she sniffed your soaps? Offer to make her a batch of lather next time she shaves. ;)

15. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

You're not alone buddy , same thing going on here in my den too.

16. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Lot of good photos and shave reports already to start off March, gentlemen! Here's mine for today:

Thursday March 1 - no shave day

I skipped shaving today. I figure a two-day stubble will make it easier for me to see and sense what I'm doing when I pick up the shavette tomorrow. In the meantime though, here's the photo of my shave setup for the next month:
    IMG_00000176.jpg

Note the styptic pencil appearing in my shave photos for the first time...

17. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

March 1, 2018

*sigh* With six pages already, I'm never going to keep up. So it has been awhile since I've done one of these. I entered @Bama Samurai 's PIF for a Shavette for the March Focus, and ended up with a Slim Focus AI all the way from @Keithmax along with some Sharps blades (thanks again!). So that is my focus for this month, the Shavette.

Primary Razor - Slim Focus AI Shavette with Sharps blade
    Secondary Razor - Schick Eversharp E3 Injector
    Soap: Stirling Island Man
    Brush: Maggard's 24mm Synthetic (tried and true)

Other items - Maggard's Orange scent PSO, TSD Energy After-shave Milk, Thayer's Lemon Witch Hazel, Maggard's Alum Block

On Standby - Band-aids, Gauze, and medical tape.

So first past down my right cheek went really well. Have you seen Eddie the Eagle? He tries and tries the jumps until he gets one right and then moves up to the next higher one. Well that was kinda how I felt. It was such a nice pass I was like "I got this" but i tempered myself. But still the results were cool. Left cheek so-so, reminding me I need to figure out how to hold it again. I was able to do under the lip, the neck went well, and even the upper lip though I couldn't figure out how to do right under the nose. My biggest hang up was the bulb of the chin.

Keeping it slow and smooth I kept getting stuck so instead of forcing it and cutting myself, I put the shavette down and went to my Schick E3. I did a second pass, this way and that with the shavette before finishing off with the E3. Only one nick from the shavette, so I'm happy.

I rinsed with cold water (a different story), and called it a day. Wrapped up with some TSD Energy Aftershave Milk. I skipped the alum block, as I wanted to keep the illusion of how well I did versus how I actually did. Will see what tomorrow brings and if I need to run the electric razor on a quick pass.

Big question though. Post shave, what do you do with the shavette? Do you open it up and remove the blade, rinse everything and let it sit open to dry? When I opened it I notice some soap inside, so I washed that out and patted everything try avoid the blade edge.

And so ends the first shave of March. 1 down, 29 to go.

MR41, Linuxguile, Drygulch and 13 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

You had nice day! I would say just rinse the shavette in hot, open and let dry. You did the cleanup right.

Linuxguile, Drygulch, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

:happy088:

Linuxguile, Drygulch, clint64 and 6 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

We are your people then. You may find that using a given razor for a month, and focusing on the underlying skills, actually takes the "craziness" away and will make you a more selective purchaser in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.