Pandemic Lockdown Meals

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DaltonGang, Mar 29, 2020.

1. whaap

whaap Active Member

My wife and I couldn't have it any better. We live in a retirement home in Tucson. It is a very desirable place and our kitchen has a chef that is outstanding. Before the pandemic our dinner menu contained 33 items. Since the pandemic the menu has been shortened but they now deliver our food to us in our apartment. Tonight we had filet mignon, asparagus, mashed potatoes and some kind of fancy glaze with choice of bread, drink and desert. Our food is prepared after we call the dining room and place our order. When it is made it is immediately delivered to us. Tomorrow the Jolly Trolly comes to our door to offer us a cocktail before dinner. The head of house keeping has stocked up on every type of paper product we could ever want and all we have to do is make a call and they'll deliver it to us. Anything else we might possible want we've always got Amazon. There are some advantages to being old! :)

PLANofMAN, Frijolero, Terry and 2 others like this.
  2. MileMarker60

MileMarker60 Member

Gravy and biscuits and eggs..
    IMG_1675.JPG

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

We had eggs & bacon for breakfast, with my home made ketchup.

4. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

Burritos and tacos al pastor from a taco truck out in the east, on our way home from our no-contact grocery pickup from Walmart. Delish! Ate them too fast to get a pic. Gassed up for $1.25/gallon. I celebrated. Mrs. Slash singing the blues cause she works for Shell. She wants gas to be $4/gallon. I want it .75/gallon. LOL

Tomorrow I will probably debone a whole chicken, roll and tie, and roast it. Sure comes out nice when I do that.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I was tired of home cooking. So, we ordered out Mexican food, well, TexMex food, from the best place in the area. A variety of Enchiladas, and Fajitas, along with freshly made chips, salsa, Borracho beans, refried beans, Mexican rice, handmade tortillas, and Queso.

PLANofMAN and Frijolero like this.
  6. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'd love tips on homemade ketchup. Store bought has waaaaaay too much sugar for me.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sara-s and Frijolero like this.
  7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

(Cross posted from here)

Continuing the pasta theme, I found a jar of capers and a jar of calamata (sp?) olives in the pantry. Made a decent "fancy scampi" with some frozen fresh garlic and a thai chili pepper. Olive oil and ghee base.

9. DaltonGang

Spaghetti and Meatballs..
    We used canned Marinara. Newmans Own. It's pretty darn good for canned sause. I dont even have to doctor it up.

10. DaltonGang

Fired up the grill. I am using natural charcoal, with several pieces of Red Oak, that I cut and split last summer. So, since was a little bit of a chore, I decided to cook several things, to be eaten later. We also baked some Potatoes.
    Sirloin Steaks
    BBQ Chicken Legs
    Hot Dogs
    Hamburger Patties

Dang, I am stuffed. All I ate was the baked potato and a steak.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    PLANofMAN and richgem like this.
  11. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Enchies are my favorite Mexican food, but I need to eat them a lot slower now.

PLANofMAN, DaltonGang and SharptoothC like this.
  12. richgem

Homemade fettuccine with dairy-free lemon alfredo sauce (liquified raw cashews take the place of the dairy)

PLANofMAN and DaltonGang like this.
  13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

It seems we’re gaining weight (despite working) so instead of dinner tonight we put together a charcuterie and cheese tray with a couple different kinds of crackers and some celery sticks.
    Perfect weather so we snacked on the patio.

PLANofMAN, DaltonGang and richgem like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Leftover Sirloin Steak 14oz., after cooking.
    Borracho Beans cooked in Shiner Bock.
    Asiago cheese bread.

Mmm mmmm good.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. richgem

Not a meal per se, but decided to try my luck once again with yeast since I had all day. Made focaccia bread. Came out with a nice texture and a nice crust. But never again. Tastes very yeasty and takes way too much time.

focaccia1.jpg <--- click to embiggen.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    PLANofMAN likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I bet Rosemary and Time(Thyme)were.

17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Yesterday was take-out rib tips from a popular local joint with plenty left over so this afternoon we had sandwiches with the leftovers and then a little cake and ice cream.

DaltonGang likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

The wife made enchiladas. Beef, and Chicken, with Mexican rice, sliced avacodos, and tomatoes.
    Of, and my next door neighbor brought over some Mint Julep beverage he made, just for fun. My wife really enjoyed the cooking, after that.

Paul Turner and Sara-s like this.
  19. richgem

Time to revive this thread. (below crossposted from "manly things")

So... I guess these are a new thing for me.

Maybe not manly per se but I haven't shared this picture yet and I can't find the Covid food thread. In any case my first attempt at French macarons. Unflavored light pink shells with vanilla buttercream filling. the recipe made 18 in total so you just have a preview here.

[​IMG]