Pass-Around, Essence by Tedalus Edition

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 4, 2021.

1. Dave in KY

Dave in KY On second thought, Buttercup

Great 1st test outing !

PLANofMAN and Sara-s like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Way to go on the first try. I can hardly wait to get it in hand.

Take care.

Edison Carter, PLANofMAN and Sara-s like this.
  3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I have now used it for a leg shave (knee down) in the shower, which is how I normally shave. Despite spending a fair amount of time practicing the grip, with no blade, I struggled with it. So here is my review to date:
    The good;
    I like the magnetic closure on the Essence a lot. It was easy to use and the blade wasn't in any danger of shifting out of position.
    I was able (mostly) to maintain the required shallow angle and both legs are VERY smooth.

The bad:
    Despite lots of practice, I found the grip awkward and especially difficult to maintain, when shaving the back of my calves.
    Consequently, I managed to cut myself 3 times.

No getting around the fact that I really don't like the hinged style. @twhite has been gracious enough to offer to allow me to try a couple of Kamisori style (straight-handle) shavettes. More about that at a later time.

As to the other one that was sent-the Irving- it has a knurled knob that closes the blade cover. Because it rotates, as knobs will, the blade never sat correctly in the razor, so I didn't even want to try it.

snuff, Edison Carter, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Hmm. I wonder if my wife will let me shave her legs for her? I took the Essence apart and "kamisori" wrapped the tang, right before I sent it off to Tom, and that did make a difference in how easy it was to maneuver around.

I know @Manumik aka Manuel is keen to offer a kamisori style razor at some point. I don't know exactly what or how he plans to do it. He pretty much has three options. Use the existing design and make an injection molded handle, use the existing design and use epoxy poured into a mold, or redesign the razor with a solid machined 'handle.'

Option 2 is probably the easiest to do in a non manufacturing environment.

As for the IBC, if the knob is overtightend, it allows the blade to move around. It's a balancing act. Tight enough to hold the blade, loose enough to keep it from only pinching one end of the blade. For this reason, I rarely use the IBC.

I believe this issue was fixed or minimized in a die redesign after the second or third production run.

A good review @Sara-s, and about what I would expect from a first run with the razor. I hope the cuts weren't too bad. If you like the blades, feel free to pull a couple extras out for the razors Tom is sending you. One more thing, regular Schick type injector blades will work on a Feather or Feather clone, though it must be hand loaded.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@PLANofMAN thanks for the feedback on my feedback. I did't know the Shick injector blades could be used. Good to know, as they are much less expensive. Have you ever used them? If so, how did you like them?

I know that I want to try the Feather Proguard. May be a little easier on me as I build my skills.

PLANofMAN and Hembree like this.
  6. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

I would love to offer a Kamisori style as well in the future. If so, we would probably try to use the same design and add a handle.
    Maybe I will try to make some prototypes in the near future to see what's possible. But more ou of curiosity :D.

7. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I did like the magnetic head design a lot. I am looking forward to trying some Kamisori-style shavettes. In a follow-up on yesterday’s shave, my legs still look freshly-shaved, a day later. They feel is almost as smooth as it was yesterday. So, despite the difficulty I had, I remain impressed with the closeness of the shave.

@Manumik ,if you do a Kamisori style & want to do another pass-around for testing, count me in!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  8. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I used them once in the Essence, many times in other open blade razors. I like them. They aren't as sharp as DE or Feather AC blades, but tend to feel smoother and last longer than either of the two blade types mentioned above.

Manumik, snuff, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Me too!

Manumik, Hembree and Sara-s like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

They are on their way to @Hembree now. He should get them around Thursday.

Edison Carter, twhite and Hembree like this.
  11. Hembree

:happy108:

12. Hembree

Oh yeah! I'm so excited. :happy108:

I have been practicing my shavette skills for this much anticipated arrival.

Y'all know what is on deck for tomorrow's shave.

Screenshot_20210728-080228_Chrome.jpg

13. Hembree

Package arrived safe and secure. I appreciate Sara getting it to me.

I have handled the Essence and all I can say right now is......WOW!

Test drive in the morning. :bounce015:

Manumik, snuff, Edison Carter and 3 others like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Glad you got it safe & sound. I look forward to seeing your review.

15. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

Here is a 'kamisori' shavette.....sort of. Technically a Feather AC DX with the scales removed, then the handle wrapped (scales pivot covered) with 1.5mm leather cord. This razor usually calls for the typical AC type blade, or Schick Proline P-30, but recently I tried a Schick Proline B20 with no issues. Just had to line up the blade with the toe end of the razor. It's a wonderful tool, I use regularly, handles/maneuvers like a McLaren.....:cool:

I've imagined the Tedalus Essence done this way, but then it'd be redundant to what I have, save for the ability to try DE blades. If an eye catching Tedalus Kamisori were to make a debut....count me interested.

jan242021 copy.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    Manumik, snuff, Edison Carter and 4 others like this.
  16. Hembree

Lock and loaded!
    20210728_195950.jpg

Dave in KY, Sara-s, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  17. Hembree

[​IMG]
    Essence by Tedelus razor
    Astra SP snapped (fresh)
    Eufros shave soap
    Simpson T3 Trafalgar
    Scottish Antique by Andy Hilfiger cologne

Super lather this morning. I appreciate Dave @Dave in KY Pifing this soap my way. It was a little extra something he throwed in a box a while back and I really enjoy it.

Now on to the Tedalus. I have referred to this razor as a shavette but I don't think a shavette description does it justice. It just doesn't feel like a shavette in the hand. After running a DE Blade this morning I also think this razor will really benefit from an AC style blade better. Don't get me wrong....it does a wonderful job with the DE blade but it feels like the razor is being held back if that makes sense.

The razor is definitely a different animal to load and the magnets do an excellent job holding everything together. It seems a little difficult at first but once you figure it out it is no problem.

I completed two passes with a few touch ups. The alum was a little warm in a few places but nothing major. The razor handles very nicely and feels secure in the hand. I appreciate the nice grip in the jimp area....very thoughtful. The long tail doesn't get in the way and makes for a nice pinkie rest.

I'm looking forward to spending more time with the razor and we will see how a Pro Guard blade does in the morning. Let's get it out of first gear and open it up a little.

The first run was very nice and I appreciate Ryan @PLANofMAN letting me be a part of this pass around.

I finished the shave with a little witch hazel and Scottish Antique by Andy Hilfiger cologne.

I included a few pics of the underside of the razor. You normally don't see pics of this area but this razor is finished nicely in all areas.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.
    20210729_063100.jpg
    20210729_063047.jpg

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    FYI, @arbarnes on Reddit coined the term "open-blade razor" to refer to these types of razors. It's less cumbersome to type out than 'replaceable blade straight razor' and doesn't have the cheap connotations associated with the word 'shavette.'

Edit: The blade closes a little off center, and this is because I tightened the pivot screw. I'm not sure if this matters to you guys or not, but I thought I should mention it.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  19. Hembree

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Essence by Tedelus razor
    Feather Pro Guard (fresh)
    MrEE LE #011 handle with Dscosmetics synthetic knot.
    Mitchell’s Wool Fat shave soap
    Cremo Bourbon and Oak EdT

Awesome Fat lather this morning. Evan's brush handle is a joy to use and looks great doing it. If you load the Fat heavy and then beat the brakes off of it you will be rewarded with some of the best lather in the industry.

Bill @Edison Carter sent me a Feather Pro Guard to use in the Essence and I loaded it up this morning.

I will go ahead and just say it.......don't even worry about a DE blade in the Essense. The AC style blades are the way to go and this razor begs for them. Yesterday we were in 1st gear....today we were on the Autobahn in overdrive and still pulling hard.

Two very and I mean very nice passes with just a few touch ups. The alum gave very little feed back today. The Pro Guard blade is nice and am careful not to get to comfortable with it.....always respect the blade.

The razor feels and handles amazing. I am by no means an experienced straight razor shaver but the Essence does feel like a conventional straight. Thought for the day....are we seeing the future of open blade shaving? I don't know but I feel straights will always be there. This razor is definitely on the precipice of something special and possibly a new market segment.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday.

Thanks Ryan and Bill.

20. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

@Hembree it looks like you are really enjoying this one! Glad it is working better for you than it did for me. You mention an “AC style” blade. What is that?

Edison Carter and Hembree like this.