Schick Krona question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BBS, Aug 11, 2018.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I think the Schick logo trail ends here
    http://assignments.uspto.gov/assignments/q?db=tm&reel=0193&frame=A823

You can also search the original records in pdf form here
    https://tsdr.uspto.gov/

Looks like they only trademarked the name Schick and not the logo designs. Links should be good for dating other razors besides using retail packages and ads like Gillettes for example.

Now back to my original question now that we've set some sort of timeline. What exactly is the Schick + knob razor and where does it fit into this. Besides that logo being unique to this razor so is the fact it is the only one without the M and number markings on the corners of base plate. If this isn't a foreign or red tip equivalent then logically if we follow that the numbering means something sequentially, then this razor should predate all the other Kronas since it has 1 1 1 stamped on the base plate.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Screwtape likes this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

No answer yet but here is one of those Eversharp base plate/ Schick knob razors. Last time I looked I found at least 3 separate postings on ebay for this style of razor. Seems the common piece on them is all have the gray handles.
    eversharpmix.jpg

As it turns out they did make the long metal knobs with the new lifter design. I managed to find one by accident stopping in an antique shop. If I manage to get my camera working I'll post some pics of that and the other Krona I am trying to find out more about.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Screwtape and jmudrick like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To answer my own questions now that Schicktember is over. I've found 3 shave variations on these razors. To really appreciate the difference you need stretch your skin to feel the difference in aggressiveness or have leathery skin to begin. The first delineation falls between the 2 lifter designs. The old style and newer style with the newer style being more mild than the older style.

Old style and typical base plate stampings.
    style1.jpg base1.jpg base2.jpg

Newer style and typical base plate stampings
    styl2.jpg base3.jpg

The third variation is the one I had a question about

base plate and knob variation to identify this razor.
    base4.jpg knob.jpg

This one as it turns out is the most aggressive for a Krona anyways with the most blade feel on the face. If I had to guess this was the first version they brought to market based on the razors getting milder through the years and the fact it is the only one with 111 which if those numbers have some sort of sequential significance then 1 would precede the others.

RyX, Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  4. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I had a bit of trouble following this thread, but I dug out my Krona to have a look. I have the 111 marking with a plain Schick logo, black handle, no markings on the bottom of the TTO. It was purchased from a Canadian seller at an antique show, but they often buy from US estate sales so who knows. I am not sure if it is a short or long knob.

Does this help or add anything to your theory?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

brit, Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is a short metal knob and is missing the Schick sticker on the knob. What I do know for sure is through the product lifespan they started out short metal knobs then long metal knobs then plastic knobs. You have the same razor as third variation I have listed. The 111 marking and location are consistent across that particular iteration.

6. Jeff Jones

Jeff Jones New Member

I have one. Long metal tip with the newer single ply lifter, Patent Pending under the head, Schick Triangle logo on the end, and "Schick" and "Krona" on the doors.

IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0261.jpg IMG_0258.jpg

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    brit, CrustyCat, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

8. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

The only TTO I own. Being a CT native I have to own one.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

brit and Enrico like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not surprising that there is some overlap between the switch over. I do know now that they did keep making the metal knob razors for the traveler sets well past this date but those were gold colored knobs and heads.

10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

Always good to read my first razor discussed. It belonged to my grandfather and I used it. Fast forward 49 years and I was able to find a couple first generation Krona and Eversharp Krona in near mint condition. They are among my most cherished razors.

Herm2502 and brit like this.
  11. Missing Lynx

Missing Lynx Well-Known Member

From another users post on this board
    [​IMG]

brit and Chuck Naill like this.
  12. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I have a metal one, but no writing on the doors.

13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Since I have a few Kronas, this thread got me to wondering about them.

The very first Krona I purchased and the one I use the most has the 111 under the head and the ++ marks on the handle. It's on the far left in the first two pictures.

I've also got three more long metal knob models (2 chrome / 1 gold) (not pictured) that have the triangle on the bottom.

The second one from the left has a gray handle and had an eagle on the bottom of the knob when I bought it. The eagle disappeared when I cleaned the razor for the first time so I don't know if it was a sticker that came off and went down the drain or if it was painted on and didn't like dish soap.

The three plastic knob razors on the right all have different markings on the doors.

I recently pif'd a Krona but didn't look at it closely before sending it off.

I definitely prefer shaving with the heavier metal knob version.

IMG_1116.jpg

IMG_1117.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

Frijolero and brit like this.
  14. Chuck Naill

My personal preference is the short chrome TTO and blank cap/lids. I prefer an intact decal. These are hard to acquire/find/ at reasonable prices.

15. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Try to find one NOS. You may have to wait a while and pay more than you'd like but you need to factor in how much you want one.

16. Chuck Naill

I do believe the Eversharp grey handle to have never been used. It was part of an estate sale.

17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Update and I'll post some ads later.
    65 is the first year for a the Schick Double edge razor
    66 is when they switched from the short knob to long knob.
    67 is the only year they sold the Eversharp Eagle razor. It was a promotional razor to sell Eversharp chromuim blades.
    68 they go back the to Schick brand name for the double edge razors.
    77 is the last year they sold double edge razors.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    Jayaruh and Chuck Naill like this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very good. Nice to know.

19. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member