Success with the neck!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Joe Rouse, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Angle and pressure. ATG is possible, but....its not easy.

1 Sharp Blade
    2 Absolute mastery of the tool
    3 Skin Stretching
    4 Skin Stretching
    5 Straight Kung fu.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Paul Turner, Hembree, Hogie and 2 others like this.
  2. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Yes, jawline is a tough one for me too. Especially on the right side. I am getting better but, to get really close, I end up making too many passes and end up with razor burn! These balms I have found sure help but, I can do without the burn in the first place. Alum block calms it down too when done right after last face rinse. I am getting closer with fewer passes so, I am gaining ground here! It has taken me a couple months to remember safety razor mastery after not using one for 40 years! At least I am not nicking myself much anymore! LOL

Hembree and Trigger like this.
  3. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

That's a good thing!

Hembree and Hogie like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Stick to one kit

One razor
    One blade type
    One soap
    (I suggest canned foam for variable isolation)
    One brush

The independent variable becomes skill expressed in the technique

30 days to Jedi

Hembree likes this.
  5. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

When I found this site, I thought I had found a site against cartridge razors and can foam......those are BOTH bad choices in my book. One rips you off while the other poisons you! Safety razors and straight razors are the real deal! My skin is in a LOT better shape now from using healthier choices for shaving creams and soaps.

Can foam????? Petrochemicals for the face.

Am I wrong? Did I step on it here? Or was this person ribbin' me like when I fist started as an aircraft mechanic....one of the pranks they pull is to tell you to go get a bucket of "Prop wash" or a few feet of "Flight Line"

Hembree likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

TSD has come to live by the motto:
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

Hembree, Hogie and michael54 like this.
  7. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I get a nice shave every time now that I have the technique down. No nicks and no burn unless I work too hard trying to get a BBS shave. I am still trying different razor/blade combos to find ones I like. I REALLY like how nicely a Feather blade in my Muhle R89 Twist gives me a BBS close shave with no irritation. I like the balms for after shave that I have found so far. My skin is much better for it! Plus, my shave is more enjoyable now that I use a pre-shave cream/oil and the high fat shaving soaps & creams. I had a problem with Rosacea before switching to these shaving soaps and after shave balms. Now, it seems to be gone!

Hembree, Bama Samurai and Sara-s like this.
  8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Most wise.

9. Bama Samurai

That works for me. I misread where you were at. Nice setup.

Hembree likes this.
  10. neiasden

neiasden Member

wTE="Joe Rouse, post: 1820382, member: 21803"]After several frustrating months of trial and error I finally had a breakthrough today with shaving my neck.

I had studied my hair growth on my neck. I am fortunate that it is the same pattern on both sides, diagonal and down from my chin. I didn’t try shaving WTG because I was concerned I might slip up (some of my worst cuts occurred on my neck when I first started). I was trying all sorts of techniques and I was missing a lot of spots. I watched lots of videos and I saw everyone would shave straight down from their jaw line and then shave back straight up. I tried that and still wasn’t getting it. I would hit areas multiple times to get it. Every time I ran the alum block I had a lot of zings. I have always had these little bumps on my neck which feel like they might be stubble. As I began to realize those spots probably weren’t stubble I backed off on working so much on my neck. The zinging from the alum was much less. But I still could tell that there were spots I was missing.

Today I decided to just go back to basics and try WTG and XTG. I went slow and careful. And wouldn’t you know it, I got what I was looking for. Not BBS but close to it. I concluded that I still have some spots that will require me to go ATG. But overall it was a much better experience. I also did something else different today and applied preshave oil again between the first and second pass. That may have helped too but I feel it was more the technique changes that made the difference.

BTW, the SOTD was a King C Gillette with their blade, and Proraso Red.[/QUOTE]
    maybe you should explain the acronyms for those who don't know? I don't know who wouldn't know? okay, I don't have a clue. I do have a clue but it would be easier if I actually knew.

when it comes to my neck I go up down sideways whichever way I can go with one hand. my multiple sclerosis does not necessarily cooperate and I don't want to have a sharp object in my left hand anywhere near my throat

Hembree likes this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Try blade buffing the neck. An Atra or Trac II is very effective for buffing it smooth but any razor can...just practice and be careful.

Hembree and Paul Turner like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

See acronyms here ---> https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/acronyms-abbreviations.22209/

Hembree likes this.
  13. wheatshocker

wheatshocker Guest

My adams apple is a little challenging, but I've just learned to be very careful and gentle in that area

Paul Turner, Hembree, awk-m4 and 2 others like this.
  14. yuriahelf

yuriahelf New Member

Is it strange that even if I have a well growing beard, I don't have any neck hair at all.

Paul Turner and Hembree like this.
  15. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

Do you use a DE or straight? For straights, stretching is paramount and, as far as I can tell, universal in it's requirement.

DEs on the other hand I discovered irritated my neck going ATG much less when I did not stretch excessively... just enough to produce a flat stable surface. I was skeptical when I saw the recommendation on another forum but then I tried it and, low and behold, it worked. It was actually this specific discovery that allowed me to finally shave ATG on my neck consistently.

Hembree likes this.
  16. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I don't know what the problem is with shaving necks. My neck is the easiest thing of all to shave. Mostly because hair doesn't grow there at all, so I don't have to shave around my Adam's apple. My beard line conveniently stops just under my jawline. Like yuriahelf, above. Lucky, I guess. Or weird. Not sure which...
    :)
    - Bax

Hembree likes this.
  17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Maybe both lucky and weird! (Best possible combination.)

Hembree likes this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy102:

19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My neck hair grows darn-near sideways and getting a BBS there is always risky-business. Since it grows back anyway, I don't usually push the envelope.